“Special food in a special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taverna Vakhos

Taverna Vakhos
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Delphi
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Coimbra, Portugal
“Special food in a special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hi visited Taverna Vakhos in search for good traditional Greek food, and I found it there! The service was good, very pleasant, and the quality of the food was what most impressed me, they do the food has it was homemade, with all the small details in the condiments! I was looking for ntolmadakia all over Greece, and I found it there, and they were exquisite! They even send me the recipe by email so that I could do it at home!!!
I totally advice at least a meal, and go crazy and ask for the Greek specialties!!!!!

• Visited April 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Annandale, Virginia
“great view, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Reading the August 10, 2013 review of this restaurant, I wondered if I had dined in the same establishment on August 31st. Vakhos probably has the best view of any restaurant in Delphi. If you are staying in a hotel on the lower street, it is a bit of a hike up a series of steps to get to Vakhos, but worth the climb.

The menu has a good many options of local fare, which was a bit too local for my tastes, and traditional Greek dishes. I had stuffed vine leaves for an appetizer and stuffed cabbage for a main course as a contrast. My travelling companion had the vine leaves appetizer and mousaka as a main course. The mousaka was of artisan quality, with a beautiful custard top layer. The stuffed vine leaves were prepared in the traditional style, with rice, lemon, a touch of cinnamon (I believe) and good olive oil. I was surprised that the last reviewer suspected the stuffed cabbage to be a vegetarian dish, since the rice/minced meat version is common among virtually all, if not all of the cultures in the Balkan region, each with their own take on the Turkish original. The lemon sauce was indeed that - heavy on the lemon. If the sauce contained cheese, unlike the last reviewer, I thought its inclusion was very subtle. All in all, not like my Croatian grandmother would have prepared stuffed cabbage, but very much like I recall Greek families making this dish in the U.S. during my formative years. I had a quarter liter of house rose as an accompaniment. It was nice, dry and complimented the meal quite well. I would agree with the last reviewer that the bread was nothing special, and I've found the charge for bread in Greece to vary from place to place.

All in all, this was a very good, traditional meal in a near perfect setting. Based on our limited experience with this restaurant, some dishes (mousada) may be better than others (heavy on the lemon with the stuffed cabbage). However, that is the case with almost all affordable restaurants. Vakhos certainly has my recommendation.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank cayman8
London
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We weren't expecting much from a tourist town but this restaurant didn't meet our already low expectations.

Bread and olives were served to start. The bread looked like supermarket bought rather than an artisan loaf and the olives were dry and too salty. The bread was included in the bill even though it is served as complimentary something the Greeks seem to do.

For appetizers we had tzatziki and zuchinni croquettes both nice.

The mains were disappointing, We ordered stuffed cabbage leaves in a lemon sauce. We thought this would be a vegetarian dish but was surprised to find it stuffed with mince, the lemon sauce was more cheese than lemon and was poured on far too generously. The other main we ordered was lamb in a lemon sauce. The lamb was not a good cut, mostly fat. It was served with chips and rice.

We also had a local white wine which was OK.

We didn't bother with dessert but complimentary Baklava was served when we asked for the bill, the Baklava was OK.

Also at this time of year the wasps who love to buzz along the balcony made dining outdoors a bit of a problem.

• Visited August 2013
Greece
“Family restuarant with great views and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

In a very touristic place such as Delphi, I do not trust many places to eat or to recommend to my clients. Vakhos is a really good family restaurant with the best views over the olive valley and the sea, which is worth visiting. Loukia runs it with her two sons with home-made cooked reciepes and delicious desserts for all tastes. A new plus is the small kinder garden corner they have recently created, which keeps the little ones busy.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank GreeceGuideEfi
Grande Prairie, Canada
“My Personal Favorite for 7 Years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

As a nearly annual visitor to Greece, Vakhos remains my favorite place to eat, not only in Greece, but in all of Europe! This friendly, family run business creates a lovely mood & atmosphere complimented with a spectacular view. The food is unique, extremely tasteful & made with authentic Greek skill. There is no higher recommendation I could give to a restaurant than this one!

• Visited July 2013