“Would definitely come back”

Mitsis Laguna Exclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Anissaras
Melksham, United Kingdom
“Would definitely come back”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The good:
The specialty restaurants were outstanding
The Creperie was fantastic.. just too full to have many
The quality of the beer was good
The sun beds were the most comfortable I have ever been on
The design and ambiance of the resort was fantastic.
The best ice cream parlor of any all inclusive resort I have stayed at.
The main pool was nice.
Watching the sun go down in the Champagne bar was beautiful
The air conditioning worked really well
Breakfast was really nice
Staff were really friendly and cheery 'Yamas'!
The land train (wally trolley tour) was good

The bad:
Limited drinks availability in all but the main bars.
No plug socket near a mirror (for wife's hair drying),,, apart from in a steamy bathroom
The room safe was too small
We aren't beach people, but if you are the beach is a bit gritty

The ugly:
Nothing ugly about this resort

6 Thank alanandleigh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Spent 7 nights here 3 rd July 2014, overall had a fantastic holiday, review is based on an all inclusive stay.
There are several pools, all salt water based, clean extensive area and easy to swim and relax in.
The variety of pools allows you to move around and experience each area, this ensures you don't get bored.
Weather was superb but beware the deceptive cooling breeze, you can tan very quickly and burn easily so keep the tanning lotion on.
Food is varied and very good, theme restaurants are very nice Asian especially.
There are several bars including a champagne bar and these are all part of the AI package, the champagne bar was great fun, my favourite Midnight Millionaire, well after a few of these you can dream the Yacht on the horizon is yours.
Weather was superb, however the beach is shale and some strong winds led to a two day red flag, and as a former lifeguard and excellent swimmer I would not venture into the water when waves are up as there is a rip tide and just standing is difficult, however when calm the beach is gorgeous clear and very refreshing.
Rooms are stylish and elegant.
The staff are superb friendly, helpful, courteous and have a great sense of humour, they even taught me some basic Greek, favourite I picked up was Kala, 'everything is cool'
The days flew bye and we were sad to be coming home, if thinking of the Mitsis Laguna I can honestly recommend it, if you are a fitness nut like me Gym facilities are very limited, running is great on the road along the beach, however it saps you it is really hard take water.
Sunsets are superb while sitting on the terrace of the Champagne bar, warm relaxing and chilled.

Place is Kala.

Hope this helps well done Mitsis Laguna

Room Tip: Free wifi in lower area, It is a classy stylish Greek aesthetically appealing hotel Air con is gre...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank kevin g
lancs
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I am rating this hotel as excellent - on value for money.You have to rememeber 5 star varies in different countrys/ continents-so you have to be reasonable- this hotel would be a higher end 4 star in most holiday resorts- but when you book you know youre not getting true 5 star with what you pay. Returned last weekend , family of 4.staff are a real credit to the hotel-exceptional.The al-acarte restaurants really good with great service.Hotel grounds spotless,Rooms large greek style ,comfy with excellent air con,cleaning of room not the greatest -that's not a moan just an honest observation.main restaurant nice, not a massive selection,.Creperie fantastic, lovely cakes, and the best ice creams you will find anywhere.sunbeds quality ,but as most hotels have to be up handy! Gym none existent which is disappointing for this standard of hotel, Guests of mixed nationality- no chavs/rowdiness.overall good value enjoyable hols,with staff who are top notch.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank captin8
midlands UK
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I cannot fault this Hotel. I have visited this Hotel Before and everything is as perfect as the first visit. The food is amazingly abundant and no one should have any complaints. They cater for vegetarians, meat eaters, kids, people with food intolerances etc. There are no restrictions on times you can have ice cream/ snacks/ food or drinks they are flowing from early morning until late. The Hotel Boasts 6 A la Carte restaurants, A Spa - which I can throughly recommend the massages, facials and nail treatments., 4 swimming pools , Children designated areas and entertainment for all. The only Hotel in Crete with an adults only Champagne bar - with a view of the sunset every evening.
The rooms are in a venetian boutique style with a pillow menu and the most comfortable beds in Greece.
the Hotel staff are every bit attentive and cannot help enough with any questions you have. This Hotel has the friendliness of a family hotel with the Luxury of the large chain Hotels.

I am a very Picky, Food loving, Perfectionist with an OCD of cleanliness. I cannot fault this Hotel which is why I visit so often. I travel all over the world and this is my favourite Place to be

Big Thank you to:
Nikos Dandaris, George Hatzakis, Paniotis, Vasso, Pella, Valentis, Olympia, Giorgia the fantastic Maitre D, Maria in the restaurant, Kostas -1,2 and 3 on the Pool bar for the fantastic entertaining conversations and service during the day. Amazing service by such wonderful , hard working staff

Room Tip: All Rooms are of a high standard, there are plenty of sea view rooms and suites for families. All ar...
12 Thank tanya_turner69
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just returned from a 5 day short break at Mitsis Laguna. First of all, shout of to Johnny from the Sushi restaurant - some of the best service I have ever had. Give this man a pay rise - whatever you pay him, he's worth more. Get down to the sushi bar at 7pm it will be well worth your time, impeccable service and a phenomenal eating/drinking experience. You'd be losing money not to.

My buddy and I are 23 and recommend New York bar and Palm Beach club for some really good nightlife (only 7 euro taxi)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jake B
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have been going to 5* resorts for our summer holidays for the past few years and I have to say that Mitsis Laguna is one of the most well taken care of we have been to. There is an army of people looking after the place and the services provided are of a high standard.

Rooms

The room we stayed in was very spacious, it also had a sofa and a nice terrace we were able to use in the afternoon because it was shady. The bathroom had both a walk-in shower and a bath, and there were good quality products to be used. The towels and the bed sheets were changed regularly, but if I were to rate the overall cleaning of the room I would give it 3/5 - on arrival and throughout our stay. Although it was done on a daily basis, the cleaning was a bit superficial.
The mini bar was quite useful given the temperatures - you get 3 types of soft drinks, beer and water, and the fridge is replenished daily.
The fresh fruit and bottle of wine we found on arrival was a nice touch.

Restaurants

We were happy with the quality of the food served during breakfast - there is a wide variety of cold and hot food you can choose from; we also appreciated the fruit that were always present. Unfortunately, during lunch and dinner it got pretty crowded in the main restaurant. If you want to avoid having to queue up without even knowing (and not being able to see) what's on offer, or being seated at a table next to the hot and smoky grills or in the sun, I suggest you make reservations for the a la carte restaurants. We went to the Asian, Cretan, Mexican and Sushi Bar and it was a relief. You have to book in advance (2 days) for all of them except the Sushi Bar - although I think it's less crowded at lunchtime and you might find a free table then. The food was OK, nothing spectacular, but always fresh and tasty. We would have liked to see more fish and sea food.

Bars

We managed to spot quite a few bars: right next to the children's pool is a theater bar, close to the main pool there is another bar and the creperie/ ice cream terrace, next to the main restaurant there's the day bar, upstairs is the champagne bar and I think there might be another bar upstairs, but we didn't visit that one. I recommend you give the champagne bar a try after dinner - it's quiet and relaxing. A very special mention needs to go to Kostas from the bar next to the main pool. Just go there and he'll take care of you :) The music he plays is quite nice, as well.

Pools/sunbeds/beach

There are 3 outdoor pools, all with saltwater. The main one you can see from the main restaurant is the most crowded one. We stayed there for one day, but it was a bit too much for us - the animation team seems to be very active around there and there are ball games being played in the water, especially in the afternoon. So if you're looking for some quiet, relaxing time, avoid this area.
The children's pool also has water slides and kids seemed to be having a good time around there.
The third pool, which is also the biggest one (longer, actually) is where we spent most of our time in the sun because it's more peaceful.

Unfortunately, there is a big problem concerning the sunbeds. They are "reserved" with towels and other objects since veeeery early in the morning. To give you a clue, the only time we managed to get sunbeds under an umbrella and close to the pool was when we woke up at 6.30am. Some sunbeds are even left "reserved" over night.
At first, we thought that there were more tourists than sunbeds, but this wasn't the case. There are people who use more than they actually need. For example, we saw a group of 4 German tourists who had "booked" 5 sunbeds in the sun and 5 others in the shade (one was for their water accessories). This meant that there were people who had no place to stay.
I really hope the hotel does something to fix this problem because it was very inconvenient. I would say this is the biggest issue of the hotel.

The beach is quite small, tight I think is a better word. There are some sunbeds and umbrellas there are well, but the beach is actually a slope, so I don't know how comfortable you can get there. There are also rocks in the water - we went for a swim there, but decided not to return. We also went for a walk along the seashore, but it wasn't a wise choice because the area is not that clean.

Parking

GIven the remote location of the hotel, we decided to rent a car to go around the island a bit. Unfortunately, when we got back, there was nowhere to park our car. There are about 10-15 parking spaces available. When we went to the reception desk to ask where we could safely park our car, we were advised to leave it outside the hotel entrance and we were also told that there was no guarantee that it was safe. So, even tough parking is offered complimentary to hotel guests, it doesn't really exist. We were fortunate not to have had any incidents.

Internet/Wi-fi

Wi-fi is available at the day bar outside the main restaurant. Unfortunately, the only time we were able to use it was around breakfast. The rest of the time it was simply jammed and we couldn't even log in to our email accounts.
I suggest the hotel management decides to include the Internet fee in the price of the room and get rid of this inconvenience.

Staff

They are the ones that make the difference. You will generally see them smiling and trying to help you, which is a great thing. All the guests seemed to be treated well and you will notice some members of staff who really go out of their way to help you.

Room Tip: Room 746 has a nice sea view and is located in a more quiet area of the hotel. Shady in the afternoo...
9 Thank Raluca B
County Down , Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I reviewed this hotel on my first visit in July 2013, having stayed again from 17th June - 1st Juy 2014, I found all aspects to be of a similar standard this time. On our first stay the only negative was the entertainment which I found to be absolutely dire, and that's being polite, these same so called artists are still performing......BADLY...... however, the introduction of a trio playing Violins & organ & also a tribute act in the style of IL Divo were excellent, and well recieved by the guests. Another negative this time was the Animation teams shows in the evening which I found embarrassing, to then be asked to purchase a downloaded CD of different tunes which the animation team used was an insult & highly illegal with respect to copyright, I would therefore urge Mr Mitsis to review this practice as it denies the original artists earnings for their work. Would I return again ? CERTAINLY !!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Paul R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anissaras
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Mitsis Rinela Beach Resort & Spa
Serita Beach Hotel
Serita Beach Hotel
#2 of 7 in Anissaras

Been to Mitsis Laguna Exclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!