“Nice Hotel in Piraeus”

Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Piraeus
California
“Nice Hotel in Piraeus”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

I missed the last ferry out and needed a place to stay in Piraeus. Most of the hotels near the port are kind of poor quality. Someone pointed me at this place. Very comfortable room, very attentive staff, was a heavenly place to spend an angry night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank SargeantKinchloe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Pretty much what you would expect from a five star hotel. Comfortable rooms for the price, nice bathroom, staff organized packed breakfast for us given we left early before the restaurant opened for breakfast. About a 15 minute walk to the port.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hectagon13
London
Reviewed November 28, 2008

We had a very pleasant stay at the Piraeus Theoxenia which is an elegant hotel at the most convenient spot in Piraeus. The location is ideal as it is close to the port & we had to take an early ferry to the islands and in the heart of a big city market where you can find anything for shopping & entertainment.

The staff was friendly, helpful & very professional and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Our room was very clean & comfortable.

We enjoyed a nice dinner at the restaurant & the breakfast was rich with a big selection of food.

I would recommend this hotel as a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ce224
Burnaby
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We were returning to Athens after visiting the 3 of the Islands. Not sure why I chose this Hotel, except I thought it had a pool, which it doesn't. I thought we would have a view of the port, which it doesn't.

Terrible location. We walked around looking for a restaurant for dinner, and ended up eating at McDonalds. The view from our room was the roof top across the street that looked like a dump. The guard dog barked all day.

Definitely not a 5 star accommodation. We ended up checking out after 1 night, and going to the Electra Palace in Plaka area. Much better location for what we were looking for.

• Liked — Checking Out.
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BaileyBobBurnaby
Scotland
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Nothing too much wrong with the hotel but the 5 star "rating" raised expectations that were not met. Bar and restaurant area are small and soulless (more akin to 3 star). Staff very friendly. Room a bit small but fine cleanliness generally good but half used shampoo/shower gel bottles was not such a nice touch.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank RRRRR64
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I stayed at the Piraeus Theoxenia Hotel for 4 nights at the end of June.
The hotel is in a good location for trips from the port and about a 5/10 minute walk to the tram station.

I would defintely recommend staying here if you are on business in Athens and have an event to attend at the Friendship and Peace stadium, which is just one stop on the tram.
You also get to mix with the locals a bit more staying in Pireaus.

Hotel staff were friendly and very helpful.
I ate in the hotel restaurant a couple of times and the food was excellent, no one else was in the restaurant though, so lacked any atsmosphere.

Good overall stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank JCambridge
Cork Ireland
Reviewed January 18, 2008

The Piraeus Theoexnia claims to be a 5 star hotel but
I simply cannot agree with that rating.

Having recently stayed there for several nights I would comment as follows:

On the plus side:

1. The staff were friendly .
2. The room was clean .
3. The breakfast was good.
4. The location was good if and only if you were on business and had to attend meetings in the immediate vicinity or if you needed to stay close to the Ferry Terminal.
5. The standard of hotels in the Piraeus area are not good and in fairness to the Piraeus Theoxenia it is probably the best hotel in Piraeus but that doesn't say a lot for the others , most of which I have experienced at one time or another . It simply is not in the same league as similarly rated hotels in Athens.

On the negative side:

1. The food in the hotel's so called ''Italian'' restaurant was below average. We ate there twice and both meals were disappointing and also relatively expensive for what it was .
On one visit I ordered a sirloin steak and asked for it to be to be simply grilled or fried to medium rare . What I got did not resemble a sirloin steak in any way . It was in fact a couple of thinly cut pieces of beef steak that had been braised , most likely for hours on end and then completely covered in a sauce that I would rather not have had. On the other visit to the restaurant we invited guests along for dinner and they also were also disappointed .

2. The layout and size of the rooms varies even though you
pay the same price. My friend had a room on the 7th floor which had a lovely view of the ferry port and was spacious. It had a desk and a chair which obviously comes in handy if you have to work on your laptop or simply want to hang your jacket on the back of chair . Despitethe fact that I had paid the same price , my room on the 3rd floor was much smaller , quite cramped and didn't even have a chair to sit on. Also the view from my room was terrible - it was facing a very high semi derelict wall ,below which was a car lot with a very noisy guard dog ( see 3 below). !

3. The glazing offered minimal sound proofing from the outside world. On my first night the best I could do was to get snatches of sleep for about 15 minutes at a time, as right outside my window on the street below there was large guard dog in a car lot who persisted to bark loudly throughout the whole night. After the flight to Greece and then a sleepless night I was exhausted but thankfully the dog was more or less quite over the next couple of nights apart from one of two occassions when he woke me up again with the barking . Closing the windows in the hotel room made no difference at all to the otuside noise and even my friend on the 7th floor was kept awake by the dog on the first night . Obviously I aprpeciate that the hotel can't control barkling dogs but the glazing is in my oipinion poor and it didnt dampen down the noise at all.

Also in my bathroom the layout was different to that in my friends room. It was quite cramped and the toilet seat/bowl was set right up up against the bath so that when you sat on the toilet your right thigh was partly on the loo seat and partly pressed right up against the side of the bath. This may not be a problem for people of slighter build but for bigger people it is downrigth uncomfortable and it is not something I have experienced in the past irrespective of the hotel rating .

5. The hotel bar shut at 12 pm which I find too early especially for a 5 star hotel in Greece or all places where it is very usual to go out to eat after 10 pm . One night when we came back from dinner at an outside restaurant it was midnight and we went to the bar for a night cap only to be advised that the bar was closing. However they did offer to bring a drink to the lobby if we wanted that night cap.

I asked if midnight was the official closing time of the bar and the reply was ''the closing time depends on how many customers we have wishing to use the bar at that specific time . '' For those of you that smoke , it is also worth noting that it was not possible to purchase cigarettes or a cigar at the hotel, which was much to the chagrian of my friuedn who is partial to an after dinner cigar. When that request was made we were advised by the hotel that there was a kiosk or shop down the road where such purchases could be made. Personally I don't feel that this is indicative of the amenity and service one should expect from a 5 star hotel.

6. Even though my friends room on the 7th floor was much larger and better laid out than mine , when you opened the windows in his room it became apparent that the window opening is at hip height and it appears quite dangerous /possible if one stumbled and fell against it you could be in for one hell of a fall. Put it this way , perosnally I woudl be be very worried to have kids in that room or indeed even boisterous teenagers. Its a pity because otherwise it was a nice spacious and confortable room and all they needed was to put a guard railing of only about six inches or so across the window opening to make it feel secure. There was one of these window guards in my room on the 3rd floor but not on the room on the 7th floor.........which to syat he least is illogical .

7. In the breakfast room (which doubles as the 'italian'' restaurant ) there doesn't seem to be any designated smoking and non-smoking areas and when you arrive for breakfast or dinner no one asksed if you wanted a smoking or non-smoking table. One of our other friends who also stayed at the hotel and is a non-smoker with a real aversion to tobbacco smoke had to change tables at breakfast on a couple of occassions as someone had just sat at the next table and lit up, which understandably caused her discomfort.

Bottom Line - would I stay there again ?

The answer is probably YES but only because the location suits my speciifc requirements very well in that it is very close to some offices that I would be visiting but even then I would only do so if it was for a short stay of 1 /max 2 nights and provided they could guarantee me a room on the 7th floor. Otherwise I would stay at the Metropolitan (which is about a 15 minute taxi ride from Pireaus) or at the Ledra Marriot or Intercontinental on Syngrou Avenue .

For me the Piraeus Theoxenia is a 3.5 star or at best 4 star if you get a decent room . Try to get room 705 its a good one and will be a better one if they put in a window guard !

Hope this helps