“Thanks, Phidias Hotel!”

Phidias Hotel
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Piraeus
“Thanks, Phidias Hotel!”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The hotel was great! It exceeded my expectations, which were already high because of the good reviews. The rooms were immaculate, fixtures and lighting were state of the art, and beds comfy (mind you beds in Greece are much firmer than in the states). Most hotels that greet travels for just a night or two before they take the ferry somewhere do not have to be good--they don't expect to see the travelers again. However, the hotel staff asked us sincerely what they can do to improve the property and service.

Room Tip: There are no views of the harbor since the hotel is a few blocks away, so essentially any room is OK...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deb D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed at the Phidias Hotel for 3 nights before our Mediterranean cruise.
Before our stay my emails to the hotel were answered promptly, with helpful information on how
to get there. We caught the X96 from the airport.
We received a warm welcome from Lia and were promptly given our room card.
This little hotel is a gem. Spotlessly clean, friendly, always helpful staff, Lovely breakfast, you pay extra for breakfast.
The hotel entrance is located down a narrow street, don't be put off by this.
To catch the Hop on Hop off bus, walk out of the hotel door turn left up to the main road, cross over and the bus stop is on the corner. This is the blue route and will take you in to Athens.
We bought a 2 day pass.
The free shuttle is great, but you have to book it.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room if you have had a long flight. Ours was great.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linda z
Kefar Sava
Reviewed May 30, 2014

After reading so many good reviews, the expectations were pretty high. And yes, they fully met in full. We were helped in very friendly and efficient manner by the staff before the visit with instructions for arrival. We were checked in very early, had a good night's sleep, ate a very generous breakfast, and were brought to the ferry in the early morning by the hotel mini bus - free of charge, The staff was very friendly and helpful. In addition, and that was kind of a surprise - the area of the hotel is a very pleasant shopping and dining area. The marina nearby is lovely, with cafe's all around.

Room Tip: We had two rooms in the front (2nd floor), and were very satisfied.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JCvD
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Phidias before catching a ferry to Naxos the next morning. The staff were friendly and our room had a balcony so we could sit out in the evening. The staff gave us a complimentary bottle of wine and directions to local places to eat out. We went to Kali Pita and had a great value pork chop plate. Phidias provided us with a free courtesy bus to the port the next morning taking us right to the ferry. We think Piraeus would be a good place to base a visit to Athens too. There are plenty of good places to eat and the hotels are better value than in Athens. The city is a quick train ride away. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Staff is very nice and helpful. We arrived 3 hours earlier, exhausted after a long flight and we were given a room. This was very appreciated. Drive to the ferry is very helpful. Breakfast is so and so and a bit expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The staff is helpful. We were given free bottle of white wine on the day we arrived,what a surprise! The staff even recommended us some of of the good restaurants around. The free shuttle bus to port really saved us a lot of troubles.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
washington state
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed here one night prior to taking the ferry to Paros.

We arrived late in the evening on the bus from Athens airport. The hotel sent a taxi to pick us up and take us to the hotel and paid for it, which was nice. The woman at the front counter was helpful in recommending places to eat and describing their locations. The elevator was broken so we had to walk up stairs to our room, which was not a big hassle since they carried our luggage. The room was quite small but clean and there was a small bottle of wine waiting for us, which was a nice touch. The shower was a bit of a hassle as the design allows water to get all over the bathroom unless you keep the water pressure low and stay right under the shower head. Wasn't a big deal to me but my boyfriend hated this. Our room (sorry, didn't write down the room number) was above a noisy street. The noise went on all night which made for very restless sleep.

Before the trip, I had emailed this hotel about our arrival and purchasing ferry tickets. They were very responsive. I could not get tickets from the site that Lia Kostopoulou said was "useful" so I went directly to Bluestar and booked the tickets. I then emailed Lia back with all of the information, including the two agents in Piraeus that Bluestar deals with. Lia wrote back assuring me that the hotel would get the tickets and have them there for us. After we arrived, we received a call from the front desk saying our ferry tickets had arrived. I went downstairs and there was a woman standing at the front desk. The receptionist told me I needed to pay for the tickets. I told her I'd already paid and that I had emailed back and forth with one of their employees and sent them all the details of my purchase. The receptionist said that the hotel only deals with one agency and they can't get tickets from anyone else. I told her that's not what the employee emailed me. She said "who was that"? I told her I don't remember but could go upstairs and find the email. She said yes, that would be good. Her demeanor and attitude came across as this being my fault that this other agency brought the tickets for nothing. I went upstairs, found the email, and came back down. It turns out she was Lia Kostopoulou, the one whom I exchanged emails with. All of a sudden her demeanor changed but not in the way I believe it should have. She said "why are you showing me this? It was all a misunderstanding." I reminded her she told me to get the email. No apologies, no admission that it was her misunderstanding.

We chose not to purchase their breakfast buffet. Glad we skipped it as the ferry had a lot to choose from and at more reasonable prices.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple