“Good service and friendly people” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Argo Anita
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Piraeus
Birmingham UK
“Good service and friendly people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

Basic and cheap but nice and clean. No food available upon late arrival on but they happily ordered in some pizza's which we washed down with some beers, very civilised.
Close to the port for the ferries and they even drop you off in the morning...
Lovely.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2006

Hotel Argo is the reason I will never return to Athens. My experience there was so abhorrent and distasteful that I doubt I will be able to step foot in the city again. First, the pictures featured on the website are very misleading. In regards to location, as of April 2006 the hotel is located down a back alley next to a construction site. The featured photo must have been taken two feet from the front door looking directly up. This alley is located in a rather seedy area of Pireaus, and is completely vacant of shopping and restaurants within walking distance (believe me you won’t want to walk in the area alone at night). In regards to the room, they are small, small, small. On the topic of accommodations, upon our arrival we discovered that the beds were not made up. They simply had pillows placed on them, and an adjoining closet containing one white sheet and a duvet fit for a twin size bed, we had a double bed. The bathroom was so small we could not use the toilet without our knees simultaneously hitting the sink. The screen (yes screen) door to bathroom did not shut completely, and the shower curtain was so small we enjoyed at least three inches of water on the floor after each bathing. Using the term ‘amenities’ in any description of Hotel Argo is silly. We were given fresh towels twice in five days. The hotel contains a small bar rarely staffed with a bartender and does not have food service. However, the attitude and service of the hotel employees far surpasses any of these problems. The hotel demands that you leave your key each time you leave the hotel which becomes quite tiring as the front desk employees are frequently absent. Further, the hotel staff demanded (not asked, demanded) that we take care of our bill the morning before we left. We politely stated we would settle everything upon our departure the following morning. When we did check out, we found our bill riddled with extra charges. When we confronted the manager, he promptly flew into screaming rage, called us liars concerning the charges, and screamed that he knew we ‘were trouble when he first saw us’, I was traveling with my husband, a Professor, two colleagues of his, both Professors, who happen to be travel writers on the side… we could not have been a more subdued group. After a full half-hour of the manager screaming at us, we signed our credit card slip (minus the false charges) and waited for our cab outside in the alley to avoid any further confrontation. Upon arriving home, we discovered that the manager and run our credit card number again for the false charges, we are now disputing those charges with Visa. I beg you, AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Piraeus hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2006

As a Greek let me say that the owners of this place give my entire culture a bad name. I took four friends to the Argo while on our way to Crete and the owner was insulting to EVERY one of us but mostly to my fiancee. The cause seems trivial but definitely highlights the degree to which the owner of the Argo should perhaps NOT be in the hospitality business. In short, breakfast was not included in our room rate (this we knew) and, upon checking out, the owner insisted that my fiancee had taken breakfast more than she actually had. My fiancee and I stood astonished as he stood behind the desk angrily calling us liars over a single six euro meal. He was shouting at all of us over and over that he knew we "were trouble right away"! It was, to be honest, a bit frightening. As I said in the title of this review....RUN VERY FAR AWAY from this hotel ! ! !

• Stayed April 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

I just stayed here for one night before leaving the port of pireaus. really handy spot to the port and the city. the hotel even faxed me decent directions as to how to find them after taking the number 96 bus from the airport and when we arrived the staff were more than helpful. breakfast is basic but will keep you going and the staff will try and transfer you to your next location as best as possible. a real bargain i thought.

12 Thank lorcan82