“Absolutely wonderful! Excellent food, great music, and exceptional cooking class.”
Review of Klimataria

Klimataria
Ranked #107 of 3,751 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Omonia
Description: Real Taste, Real Food, Real Music for Travellers. Summer Lives every Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 21:00!
seattle
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We "found" the cooking class on a city tourist map. Our concierge did not know about it. We went. What a great decision. Maria has a most excellent cooking class! She is personable, happy and uniquely Greek. Dinner was the end reward. Food was tasty. It was what we prepared. While we ate appetizers the restaurant filled up - it seemed like only locals. The band started. Famous for Greece and not one repetition of Zorba the greek. Did I mention the food was excellent? ;) Maria didn't want to let us leave. More wine, more food. More music. No tourist buses. Packed house at midnight. On a Wednesday. Thank you Maria. We loved it!

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Beautiful little restaurant, great service.. not the best area (not the restaurant's fault)”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The restaurant stands out from it's surrounding by it's beautiful exterior design and the inside is no different. Looks very rustic and old but in the best way possible. You get in and sit down at a table, you're greeted with a big smile that lightens up your evening (I needed it after a day of work). The waitress will give you the option to go check what there is for dinner and took her time explaining the dishes to me.
They get you complimentary water and bread with spread of yogurts with capers and a shot of some Greek spirit. The bread and the spread (apparently special to the restaurant) were amazing. The first thing that came was baked feta, it was delicious. Then a main dish of beef in tomato sauce with a side of rice, which disappointed me after having perfect bread, baked feta, and great service. It was a let down that's all I can say. It was good but not on par with the recent of my experience there.

• Visited October 2013
Austin, TX
“I almost asked Maria if I could stay and be her dishwasher”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I took the cooking class a week and a half before and had been comparing every meal on the rest of our trip to plates I had had to here. So the last night we were in Athens, everyone wanted to see if I had just been hyping the place up. It was a little quiet that night, no bands in September since everyone is on vacation then. ; ) But the place was full of diners. In fact, when I was at the cooking class, there was at least one other table who had taken the cooking class a week before too.

I was trying to convince everyone to get a few plates and go family style so that they could try everything most people were on board, at least one person decided they just wanted their own plate....until Maria came out effusive and engaging and asked everyone if she should just bring out plates that she would recommend. Everyone fell under her spell and nodded mutely. And just like the class, plate after plate of eggplant dip, feta cheese salad, her version of mousaka, meat and eggplant plates and plates and plates. Until one person on the team said, "This is hands down, the best meal we had on the whole trip....but please tell me no more food is coming." Only dessert: Greek yogurt with a sugar, vanilla and clove reduction which there was room for.

Not only was it the best meal we had with the best hostess, it also ended up being one of the most reasonably priced ones. A taverna in Greece is a place to get home cookin when you can't cook at home. We all felt right at home.

As i mentioned, i had taken a cooking class there too. When I had trouble reproducing the pastry, I sent her an email asking where i went wrong. She immediately sent back a detailed response, thanked me for taking the class, congratulated me on trying my hand at the dishes, and told me to Cook Always With My Heart. Her passion and enthusiasm for what she does is contagious and comes through in all the dishes.

Get to Klimataria

2 Thank ElCaballoAustin
Barcelona, Spain
“Best greek restaurant in Athens”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

After some disappointing eating experiences in Athens, we decided to check out tripadvisor looking for a restaurant. We found this restaurant among the best in Athens and it was close to our hotel, so... why don't try it. We went to the restaurant and we loved it so much that we came back all the nights we stayed in Athens. The atmosphere of the restaurant is spectacular, it looks like you are in the countryside. Food was excellent and the treat was very familiar. They offer free yogurt with caramelized raisins for free and a ship of some liquor. Everything is home made and you can feel and taste that they cook with their heart!! everything tastes so good!!! in addiion, they offer cooking lessons, and eventhough we didn't do the lessons they looked so much fun! I highly recomend this restaurant, in special the lamb with zucchinis, the kaferteri and whatever because everything is tasty and exceptional. The only bad thing is the neighborhood that it looks like you are not in Greece. However, we didn't have any trouble and we walk through it at night. Once you are in... you forget about the neighborhood! It is worth to go and the quality/price ratio is excellent. We paid around 30euros for two people with wine.

2 Thank Maria_del_Mar_I
Barcelona, Spain
“best title could be... "Food experience"”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me and my byfriend have been in this restaurant choosing by trip advosor's rewiews.. it has been a very "food experience" the atmosphere was great and authentic..
GREAT!!!!