“Imaginative cuisine”

Ranked #196 of 2,511 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Athiri is the awarded restaurant run by chef Alexandros Kardasis since 2004. It offers greek creative cuisine in a special environment with one of the most beautiful gardens in the center of Athens.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

One of the best gourmet places in Athens with excellent food, lovely garden and own parking garage. The main dishes are unusual but very tasty and the desserts are to die for. The wine list is quite comprehensive. It was an excellent choice to celebrate my birthday. I will go again.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I visited Athiri with a friend and we decided to taste all the appetizers (except of the octopus).
We started with the "athiri" salad that was light and tasty: iceberg lettuce, marinated anchovies, roasted florina red peppers, zucchini and lemon-olive dressing.
I will mention the best three of the appetizers.
The code fritter with beetroot, capers and fish sauce. Tasty but oily. Either the oil temperature was low and/or the batter was soft and spongy.
The cheese and tomato tartelette was the best of the appetizers. Good flavors from a trio of cheeses, topped by tender roasted tomato. I would have liked the tartelette crust to be thinner and softer.
The rabbit "dolma" was tender rabbit meat wrapped in soft onion skin. The minus of the dish is the rather bland texture. It needs something to jazz it up.
OVerall, I liked the concepts behind the dishes more than the execution. So I hope that next time I will see some improvement. Because the potential is there.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Is rather unlike for this particular area of Athens to have such a good quality restaurant!
Nicely blend traditional greek cuisin with new wave techniques.
Is more like a gourmet greek cuisine rather than a mainstream. Try the fish in any case.

Has probably the best wine list I have encountered in my last year's visit. Excellent choises of wineyards little known.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The outdoor dining room is a very romantic yet casual and elegant courtyard, in the Gazi neighborhood. Don't be fooled by the setting,though! The quality of the food, the presentation and the history it tells, showcases the great professionalism of the staff. They are extremely knowledgable and proud of their craft! Bravo!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We asked our concierge to book a table at a restaurant where the Athenians themselves go. Rustic and simple. Only it was not a touristic.

They booked on Arhiri.

A short axi ride from Syntagma square later we came to a restaurant with a courtyard where tables were well spaced under the trees and stars.

The very helpful staff gave us good recommendations on great Greek cuisine; far away from the tourist food you get on charter destinations (I've heard)

No wonder they made recommendations in 2012 from Guide Micheline. The price then, amazingly affordable. Let me put it like this (hate to mention money) a quarter of the price from the five star luxury hotels roof top restaurants