“Autentic and very good”

Athens, Greece
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Autentic and very good”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Like stepping in to a restaurant in Japan. The first Japaneese restaurant in Athens is still going strong 40 years later and the best I have tried here so far.

The winter menue is small but of exellent quality. The suggestions were great and we enjoyed a every dish we were served. Everything was fresh and tasty.

The location is a little bit off the turist track, but absolutely worth the five minutes walk from the Akropolis museum. We went in January and the roof garden was closed. Has wonderful views to Akropolis and I'm looking forward to sitting there in the summer.

• Visited January 2014

• Greek first
Leonberg, Germany
“Very very nice...”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

...and the dishes are very good. Realy a good recommendation. Very friendly and a great view on the Akropolis.

• Visited August 2013
Αθήνα
“Great View - Good Sushi”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice spot, you can see the Acropolis from their terrace summer restaurant, but their design and decoration is so old and ungly that I couldn't believe that they are not renovating it for such a long time! The Sushi was good, fresh fish and nice taste! The service was excellent and very kind people! I would go back there definitely for a night sushi!!!

• Visited August 2013
Peristeri
“Low key perfection”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I always think of Kyoto as a place that will never disappoint a j-food lover. We have been there four or five times, special occasions mostly. This last time, Friday Auf 31, was the best, though. It was our first summer visit, we ate at their wonderful summer terrace.

Refined, cosmopolitan atmosphere, with a great view of the Acropolis, good food and great company - a really perfect night. We had the fish soup, gyosas, onigiri, the nami and the jo sushi platters and some green tea. The clear fish soup was wonderful, the sushi was fresh, tasty and light, the gyosas crispy outside and juicy and tender inside (we've ordered one but when tasted them we had to have one more). We paid 35 euros (45 dollars) per person.

When we left we discovered that all the area was crowded - there were car horns, lots of noise, hundreds of people talking, walking, eating street food, heading to a special blue moon concert at the nearby Acropolis museum. Yet, at the restaurant we haven't heard anything - everything was serene.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ThomaLam
Athens
“Still the best, no doubt about it...”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I just realised that Trip Advisor allows us to review an establishment that we've reviewed in the past, providing that it's been some time since our last visit. This is a very good feature, since many times the menu changes, the chef leaves, the prices go up etc...

In the case of Kyoto, nothing has changed. The food is still great, the fish is still as fresh as can be, the prices are the exact same and the service is very kind. Although we sat inside (summer came late this year) and we didn't have the spectacular view, the atmosphere was very cozy and the decoration was simple and Japanese. My guess is that restaurants in the Far East look pretty much like this.

This time I mainly had sushi but I did try the cooked food and I'll try to be as detailed as possible about it. We were a group of four and we had:
Two large sushi varieties, two soups, two Guozas, one chicken Yakitori, two fried rice with pork, two noodles with shrimp and about 20-25 bottles of sake (the little terracotta ones).

The sushi was perfect! I can tell when fish is fresh (I've had sushi when we didn't even know what was its name and we called it “look what daddy caught') and this one was VERY fresh. Both the nigiri and maki were perfect, not too salty, with not too much wasabi, with rice that wasn't glued together but still molded as it should be.

The Guozas were once again splendid. The Yakitori was better than the previous time, juicy and tasty. Both the rice and noodles were very nice, with no excess oil or salt. I know that I repeat myself but I'm sick of having noodles and rice in Asian restaurants that have more soy sauce and oil than noodles or rice!!! I'm very sorry that I can't comment on the soup but my friends told me that it was very tasty.

At the end of the meal, we were treated with a very interesting dessert. It was some sort of chocolate cheesecake but it was tastier than any chocolate cheesecake that I've ever tasted because it had waaayyyyy more chocolate than usual!!!

The bill came to 180 euros. I know that it sounds expensive but keeping in mind how much we had to eat and drink (especially to drink) it is still good value.

Summing up, if you wish to try the best sushi in town or if you are looking for a restaurant for a special occasion or if you are in the mood for a smart night out, Kyoto is the place to go. The view from the terrace is gobsmacking but the inside area is also nice (and romantic). The tables aren't too close with each other and the large windows add to the atmosphere. Even for those who don't fancy sushi, there are plenty of cooked options to chose from. There are also sushi options that aren't prepared with raw fish; a great way to start your journey into the magical world of sushi!

Additionally, although Kyoto sounds and seems like a posh place, the service is kind, helpful and friendly. There is not a single trace of poshness or snobbery. As a matter of fact, the owner came and asked us why we were so quiet (we were making conversation in low voice since the place was a bit on the quiet side) and if there was something wrong. He instantly made us feel very welcome and cozy.

If you are planning to go on a weekend or a concert night during the summer, do make a reservation. Kyoto is the hot spot of Athens (and the place to do some celebrity-spotting) after a concert at Herodion. Parking is not as difficult as one might think. There is a huge parking lot (no fee) right across the street!

• Visited April 2012