“Still the best, no doubt about it...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kyoto

Kyoto
Ranked #2,529 of 3,648 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Thissio / Makriyanni
Athens
“Still the best, no doubt about it...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I just realised that Trip Advisor allows us to review an establishment that we've reviewed in the past, providing that it's been some time since our last visit. This is a very good feature, since many times the menu changes, the chef leaves, the prices go up etc...

In the case of Kyoto, nothing has changed. The food is still great, the fish is still as fresh as can be, the prices are the exact same and the service is very kind. Although we sat inside (summer came late this year) and we didn't have the spectacular view, the atmosphere was very cozy and the decoration was simple and Japanese. My guess is that restaurants in the Far East look pretty much like this.

This time I mainly had sushi but I did try the cooked food and I'll try to be as detailed as possible about it. We were a group of four and we had:
Two large sushi varieties, two soups, two Guozas, one chicken Yakitori, two fried rice with pork, two noodles with shrimp and about 20-25 bottles of sake (the little terracotta ones).

The sushi was perfect! I can tell when fish is fresh (I've had sushi when we didn't even know what was its name and we called it “look what daddy caught') and this one was VERY fresh. Both the nigiri and maki were perfect, not too salty, with not too much wasabi, with rice that wasn't glued together but still molded as it should be.

The Guozas were once again splendid. The Yakitori was better than the previous time, juicy and tasty. Both the rice and noodles were very nice, with no excess oil or salt. I know that I repeat myself but I'm sick of having noodles and rice in Asian restaurants that have more soy sauce and oil than noodles or rice!!! I'm very sorry that I can't comment on the soup but my friends told me that it was very tasty.

At the end of the meal, we were treated with a very interesting dessert. It was some sort of chocolate cheesecake but it was tastier than any chocolate cheesecake that I've ever tasted because it had waaayyyyy more chocolate than usual!!!

The bill came to 180 euros. I know that it sounds expensive but keeping in mind how much we had to eat and drink (especially to drink) it is still good value.

Summing up, if you wish to try the best sushi in town or if you are looking for a restaurant for a special occasion or if you are in the mood for a smart night out, Kyoto is the place to go. The view from the terrace is gobsmacking but the inside area is also nice (and romantic). The tables aren't too close with each other and the large windows add to the atmosphere. Even for those who don't fancy sushi, there are plenty of cooked options to chose from. There are also sushi options that aren't prepared with raw fish; a great way to start your journey into the magical world of sushi!

Additionally, although Kyoto sounds and seems like a posh place, the service is kind, helpful and friendly. There is not a single trace of poshness or snobbery. As a matter of fact, the owner came and asked us why we were so quiet (we were making conversation in low voice since the place was a bit on the quiet side) and if there was something wrong. He instantly made us feel very welcome and cozy.

If you are planning to go on a weekend or a concert night during the summer, do make a reservation. Kyoto is the hot spot of Athens (and the place to do some celebrity-spotting) after a concert at Herodion. Parking is not as difficult as one might think. There is a huge parking lot (no fee) right across the street!

• Visited April 2012

• Greek first
Athens
“Probably, the best Japanese restaurant of Athens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

I plead guilty of not knowing about Kyoto .

I also plead guilty of claiming that I had already discovered the best sushi in Athens (but I was nagging that we lack of a Japanese restaurant with good, traditional cooked food).

When my friends told me all about Kyoto ’s wonderful food (not just the sushi) and amazing view to the Acropolis I couldn’t wait to go. Were they right? Was a rewarded? YES!!! Big YES! With bold, underlined characters and 40 exclamation marks.

Kyoto has by far the best cooked food and the freshest sushi of Athens, combined with amazing view, kind and helpful service, relaxing atmosphere and prices that won’t break the bank.

Our group of 4 ordered almost everything in the menu and we paid 147 euros with 3 bottles of white wine (labeled exclusively for Kyoto ; excellent quality, taste and aroma) although the 3rd bottle was on the house.

We started with Guoza (steamed and fried to perfection), chicken Yakitori (a tad dry but very tasty and aromatic), sea bass Maki and tuna Nigiri (both beautiful in the eye, both fish were probably still swimming a few hours ago).

For main courses we had the mixed tempura (crispy on the outside, soft in the inside, with no excess oil and with a very light and tasty sauce), Tonkatsu pork (fried pork with bitter/sweet sauce; very unique taste, very tender pork), salmon with crispy crust cooked in soy sauce and sake (as salty and as tender in the inside as it should be and very fresh) and fried rice (the Chef didn’t fall in the trap of using too much oil and too much salt and I thank him for that).

We are all known for eating too much and since there was a tiny corner in our stomachs that wasn’t full, we decided to order a few things more. This time, it was easier to choose knowing that no matter what we decide upon it will be perfect! We opted for the Futomaki (maki with omelet, cucumber, crab, mayo and shitake mushrooms; it was the first time that we tried something like that and it was a very interesting and different kind of sushi, although the slices were a bit uneven), the Buta Kakumi (caramelised pork with soy sauce, sugar and sake; also very tender and very, very tasty) and the Tori No Karaage (deep fried chicken marinated in soy, sake, garlic and ginger; definitely one of the highlights of the menu).

All in all, Kyoto was an oasis of excellent food and cozy atmosphere in a very hot Athenian evening. The only (tiny) downside was the fact that you needed a flashlight and a map in order to find the loos but I’m guessing that it was probably due to the power cuts and low voltage which sometimes occur during heatwaves.

I would also like to add that I’m looking forward to visit Kyoto during the Winter. I took a peak in the inside space of the restaurant and even if it is missing the view it’s decorated in a way that will travel you to the Far East as soon as you take your seat.

1 Thank TH13
Greece
“Good, but probably far away from greek taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have to say that this is one of the most complicated restaurants to review. The reason is that it's probably a very good Japanese Restaurant, with nice decoration (although small). Strong points are the location (opposite Acropolis), the parking lot (free of charge, right opposite of the street), their atmosphere (nice furniture and lighting) and the whole style that really takes you on trip to Japan. Everything is clean and tidy. But, after having dinner their two times, I have to warn you (ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE GREEK) that the taste of dishes is not impressive. As their meals are cooked without any oil and they are not salty, you will find all tasteless, although they use great and fresh materials and incedients (tomato, shrimps). We also ordered a "toffu" something like smashed beans, which was like a paper-taste yoghurt...

I repeat that the your eyes will gladly meet this nicely and cozy place, but your tongue won't sent you signals of delight (and this was the opinion of all five of us that had dinner there).

As a greek, I wouldn't recommend it. Of course a Japanese advisor would probably give us an alternative view of thei cuisine, as this restaurant may be an excellent solution for travelers from Asia. But (dining in Athens) I still prefer China/Cantonese cuisine than this offered in Kyoto

1 Thank Dimitrios-GR
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Feels like REAL japanese...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

Feels like REAL japanese cooking

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Nice view but a bit impersonal...brings back good times ;)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

Nice view but a bit impersonal...brings back good times ;)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook