“Best dinner ever in Greece! ”
Review of Aleria

Aleria
Reserve with OpenTable
Aleria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 2,447 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is a perfectly restored villa from the early years of the previous century. The decor strikes the perfect balance between luxury and ambience, creating an atmosphere which is quite formal but still unpretentious, cozy and elegant. The restaurant's creative cuisine has been awarded many times and promises to impress you with a brilliant parade of re-synthesized Greek cuisine The chef Gikas Xenakis is one of the best proponents of the New Greek Cuisine movement which now attracts the most talented chefs in Greece. His philosophy is one that combines a calm but confident control of the modern cooking techniques with his memories of traditional home food cooked with the best and freshest ingredients that the sea and land of Greece offers. At Aleria you will enjoy Greek fine dining in wonderful surroundings in what is considered as one of the best value for money restaurants.
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We had the most wonderfull evening at beautiful Aleria. The food was the best we ever had in Greece, Very delecius and with a lot of tasty details.
The recommended greek wines were way over my expectations, and the staff were professional, friendly and very informative. The time just flied, and before we noticed, we had stayed for over three hours. We will definitely go back next time we visit Athens!

3  Thank Birgitte_Karsten

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Aleria doesn't look like much from the street, but inside is lovely and boasts a beautiful garden area. Plus the food is terrific. The chef takes a modern and creative approach to traditional Greek cuisine. The menu is brief but varied and everything we ate was delicious. The wine list is also tops. Helpful advice is available and I suggest taking it. I would never have ordered fish balls on my own, but they were fantastic on a bed of green (spinach) rice and set off by a bit of sweet pickled something. And the price is reasonable, a real bargain for the quality of food.

Aleria is a short walk from the Stanley Hotel where we were staying on our way back to the US, and we went there our last night. I wish we'd found it sooner so that we could have gone more than once. If I'm ever in Athens again, I will be back.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Don't miss this restaurant. Make sure you book ahead in the summer and try the mix and match menu they offer.

1  Thank Ino P
Reviewed January 1, 2012

IMHO Aleria is one of the best restaurants in Athens, especially in terms of rappport qualite-prix.

To begin with, the building is just wonderful. The facade but also the interior is beautiful. Simple and chic! Very nice decoration. We were seated on the first floor overlooking the nearby streets. In general, I have to admit that view is not a strong advantage unless you love urban, industrial scenes. I personally love such views so I was quite happy.
There is also a very pleasant terrace, which I highly recommend for the summer.

Last time I visited smoking was not prohibited but now it is, which I think is great!

Service was exceptional. We were very warmly welcomed. The maitre de and all waiters were very polite and helpful, formal but friendly at the same time. They helped us to choose our dishes.

We were a party of 4 so we ordered many dishes from the menu--would not exaggerate to say that we almost ordered the entire menu :) We are foodies and gourmet lovers so we wanted to try all their dishes. I would call the cuisine Aleria offers "nouvelle greque." All time classic flavors and dishes prepared differently. What I mean is that the chef is so inspired to prepare traditional dishes with touches of nouvelle cuisine, like the moussaka ravioli or the rather tasty tsoureki (the greek version of challah) ice cream! Simply delicious... Yummy :)

It also offers vegetarian dishes!

The wine list is a bit poor. I believe that they could have a much better selection of Greek wines. That I think is a disadvantage!

Aleria is not a very expensive restaurant, especially considering what you get. We paid around $110 each but this is because we ordered the entire menu :) In general, in Athens you get poor quality of food at very high prices--Aleria is not one of those restaurants! It's worth every single penny you spend.

Overall we were very satisfied and we are planning to visit again soon. I would highly recommend Aleria.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Excellent atmosphere with unique style and very good food on the best prises

2  Thank ioefthimiou