“Good Cheap Eats, Non-Touristy”
Review of PAPANDREOU - CLOSED

PAPANDREOU
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Omonia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We didn't eat that much here since we were determined to sample other places as well the same night. But we got the tripe soup (patsas) and some piece of dessert here that I forgot what it was.

Communication was a bit of a struggle since we don't speak Greek and their English was a bit spotty. But we got the food we wanted, we enjoyed it, staff was friendly and helpful, and if we came to Athens again, this would definitely be a stop. I like that its not touristy and a bit off the beaten path. It took a bit of effort for us to find it since we came at night when the rest of the market was closed and people were basically cleaning and power-washing the walkways.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

nice restaurant with greek food... we wll come back..
all the dishes are so nice and fresh, you can enjoy a meal in very good prices.
thank you!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I first went to Papandreou about 10 years ago with my two sons (then 13 & 11) and the 13 year old ate his first 'whole fish" (cooked and served with the head on) and was in love! I've been back many times--with and without students I bring abroad and am never disappointed. The fish is fresh and well prepared and the meal delicious. This morning my son (now 23) and I were at the market to buy vegetables and fish and he had to have a late breakfast (of whole fish). The bread is wonderful as others have said; the servers are super nice; the whole place is terrific.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I would go to Papandreou to eat the bread alone. Add to that some of the best taverna food available and you have a winning recipe. We have eaten here at 6 in the morning, late at night and at most other times of the day. If you want to savour the comsopolitan atmosphere, then any morning or lunchtime would satisfy as it caters for all the workers and customers of the busy central market. Sundays are more relaxed, as the market is closed. We always over-order as the range of food on display is so mouthwatering you can't help ordering 'just one more dish'. Last time we ate cod fillet baked in the oven with tomatoes, onions and potatoes, baked aubergines, baked gigantes, giouvetsi with beef, laxana dolmades (minced meat and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves and served with an egg and lemon sauce) and xorta (boiled greens). All simply delicious, average price €10 per head. However, although very friendly, the service can be erratic and we were very disappointed that the atmosphere was smoky (several customers were smoking despite the general smoking ban in all restaurants now) and my (pregnant) daughter found this very disappointing. This spoilt our visit this time.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Pros: Excellent local cuisine. A variety of pans with the different meals. Try the soups (with meat or fish) or the calamari with pasta (a kind of short rigatoni). Extremely tasty bread, which you rarely find in Athens restaurants.
Quick and friendly service. Reasonable prices related to the offer. Fantastic location – if you like to make your way through the Athens meat market (at day time). Go there even in the middle of the night to get sober again. (That's what Athenians do.)
The Cons: The tavern has lost a lot of its original (slightly dingy) atmosphere after the renovation some years ago. It is now rather "European", i.e. clean and neutral, a bit impersonal. Since the food is ready cooked and warm held in the wide pans it is often just lukewarm. It couldn't be as hot as some Europeans like their food.