“..simple food / highly overprized..”
Review of Daphne's

Daphne's
Reserve a Table
Ranked #644 of 3,133 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Plaka
Description: Daphnes is a classic in every sense of the word located in Plaka and the preferred destination of visiting public figures from the international political scene and business world.
Reviewed June 20, 2019

..went to daphnes when being in athens for a stopover yesterday..my pork souvlaki was dry and accompanied by two cooked potatoes, yet overprized..my wife ordered spinach salad with manouri chesse but agreed with the waiter to get halloumi instead of the manouri..what she got was a plate of spinach leaves and sundried tomatoes for 11 (!) euro with three slices of halloumi for 8 euro (because the halloumi was considered a second starter by the waiter) which made this a salad that because of changing the cheese it comes with that cost 19 euro..the service is friendly, but stressed..knowing that eating out good in plaka can be difficult, we can not recommend this place at all..

1  Thank psy501
Write a reviewReviews (684)

Reviewed June 15, 2019

You a tourist trap when you see the waiter or owner trying to seduce you into eating at his place.. we ignored the warning signs and.... as expected - fell for this typical tourist trap.
Overpriced, below average food, with items on the menu they bring you (and charge you), without asking you...
Just ignore this place. it does not serve Athens, Greece or the Greek hospitality.. its just about ripping you off - Avoid at all cost

1  Thank TravelGuyExplorer
Reviewed June 7, 2019

I would say the food is of good quality, not great. What makes the place interesting, of courses, is the ability to sit outside and people watch. There are many tables inside, but who wants to sit inside? When I paid, I used a credit card. This necessitated a walks to the back of the restaurant, down some stairs, to an office. They need better wireless connections.

Reviewed May 31, 2019

Surprised by the not so great reviews.. We found this cute place while walking and the menu looked good and we liked the little garden-like terrace where we were a bit secluded but could still people watch those walking by on the main road. We were there for an early dinner so we had the opportunity to have great service as there were not a lot of guests dining at that time. The waiter recommended a wonderful bottle of red wine and our food was delicious, especially my husband's lamb in the pot it was really authentic. We really enjoyed our dinner here and appreciated the ambiance of the location as it was a great place to start our night exploring Plaka.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank SMV915
Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I walked by and it looked very nice. Read the menu and each of us found meals that sounded great. The restaurant was more then half full so we went in. Didn’t stop to look up reviews, big mistake! Both of us didn’t enjoy our dinner. My grilled shrimp was cold and tasteless. My wife’s Greek salad had no dressing so we asked the waiter for olive oil and it took a long 15min for him to come back. By then we decided to leave. The owner barked at the waitress “girl” get the bill. I nearly made a scene. The bill was 60€ and I do not drink, my wife had one beer. However the view was nice if you sit at the front two tables. You can see the Acropolis and that is why Daphne’s gets one star.

Date of visit: May 2019