All reviews train station busy road minute walk air con fifth floor free breakfast clean hotel the breakfast area decent hotel kalambaka wifi bathtub balconies taxi piraeus santorini
Selected filters
Reviewed September 9, 2014

My requirements for my hotels are as follows: safe neighborhood, close to metro/tram, cleanliness, free wifi, helpful staff, wallet friendly and free breakfast (if possible). This hotel covered all of those requirements.

The room was basic but clean and a pretty decent size. My room was on the corner, which gave me 3 balconies (right, left & center). The mattress was hard but that didn't bother me. I didn't like that the air shut off when I took the key with me because it was SO hot during the day that the room would be muggy when I returned and sometimes took a little time to cool down. Wifi in the room was SO incredibly slow but it worked well in the hallway and lobby. The fridge in the room is convenient to stock up on the cheap bottled water that you can buy from the cafe next to the metro station.

All of the staff was really really helpful but Sophia, she was an angel. I bothered her almost every morning with the typical tourist/transportation questions and she'd sit down with my map and go through it all with me. She was truly one of the best hotel staff members I've encountered anywhere in the world.

The breakfast was the basic spread you'd expect: cold cuts, cheese, breads, eggs, etc. But it was plentiful and held me over until almost 2pm everyday. The hotel has a restaurant next door that is open all day into the night (and will deliver). If you have a chance stop in and get the Greek salad... it's really good and they are really friendly.

There wasn't much to see/do in the neighborhood but the metro station (Larissa Station) is so close that it doesn't matter. At the end of every night I would come out of the station, tired from walking/the heat and sigh with relief at the fact that I could see the hotel right across the street. The area also felt safe, I typically came back at night and sometimes ran back out late at night for food and felt fine.

I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel (40 euros fixed) then took the metro back to the airport (8 euro). Both very simple tasks as long as you are able to carry luggage up/down stairs at the metro station.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank NJGirlvTheWorld
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Had read few good reviews about this hotel and booked it for my couple of days stay in Athens.

The first look of this hotel was really impressive. The hotel was quite near to Larissa Metro station and the lady at reception was quite helpful. It was when we checked in that things started going room.

We had booked a double room (My wife and I) and room was quite smaller compared to average double room we stayed in many other hotels. The sheets were not very clean. I believe that they were washed but not well. My wife is very peculiar about the hygiene was I received a good scolding (Yes! sadly) for booking such a hotel. I thought that the story will end here but then the real problem came out.

At night, since this hotel is right on the street, the noise even during the midnight was so loud that we could barely sleep. The first night was a disaster and we had only a couple of sleep with frequent disturbance from outside.

In the morning, we found that the gate of the balcony was broken and hence was the main reason for so much noise. We got it fixed the other day but still struggled with the noise other night (but better than the first night).

I am not sure if other rooms have the same issue or perhaps getting a room on higher floors and other side of the hotel will help, but this stay disappointed us. We really dont get an option to choose a floor or room side so please take good care of this while checking in.

We stayed on 2nd floor if this helps.

Pros:
1. Very near to Larissa Metro station and railways. 2 mins walk (hardly). You can see the hotel from metro station outer gate itself. So very good if you plan to return late.
2. Everyday store very nearby and so can easily pick up drinks and eatables.
3. Average breakfast.
4. Small fridge.
5. Basic Toiletries.

Cons: All that stated above AND poor wi-fi connectivity.

Room tip: Top floors, other side of the road.
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rahul J
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Since our last stay the area has been cleaned up a great deal. The staff, as usual, were very welcoming and friendly. The service was great and rooms clean. The rooms could do with an update though they are starting to look a bit "tired" the air conditioning units could also do with an upgrade. Otherwise value for money and conveniently located.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean; good beds and a good bathroom. The staff is very friendly. The hotel is located close to a metro station and to the archeological museum. Breakfast is OK and abundant. Very good price for what you get. Only disadvantage is that it lies close to a quite busy road, so that if you are sensitive to noise, you might wake up quite early.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Hotel Ariston was a great hotel! The rooms were clean and tidy. Also the staff was super friendly! Overall it was a great experience. I would definitely stay there again. It is also near the metro so it has easy access to visiting different places in Athens.

Trip type: Traveled with friends