“The best hotel in Plaka”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Phaedra

and 1 more site!
Hotel Phaedra
Ranked #97 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Province of San Jose, Costa Rica
“The best hotel in Plaka”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I can not describe how pleasant my stay in this hotel was.
We arrived in athens at midnight and to the hotel at 2am in the morning and got a room with a beautiful view to the Acropolis for a great price.
The location is perfect, really close to everything. Breakfast is cheap and delicious: bread, jam and butter, fruit, orange juice and tea or coffee. The rooms are clean and tidy with a great shower.
But the best part of the hotel is the staff. The receptionists are friendly and helpful. The owner of the hotel asked us to drink coffee with him one morning and told us fascinating facts about greek history. This was definitely the highlight of our trip to athens.
If you are visiting athens, this is definitely the best hotel to stay in.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank S1lv1a14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a good 2 night stay at Hotel Phaedra. The room we had was very small. You could barely walk around the bed. We booked the last room available and the room had no balcony. My understanding was that the room without the balcony was the smallest in the hotel. The upside is that it is really well located and we were not there to hang around the room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent one night in Athens between flights and chose this hotel because of its location and walking distance to the sites and the metro. It is a very simple, clean and decent place, the room we had was small with a long balcony, tiny bathroom, shower with curtain, a/c, TV, no safe, no hairdrier, no amenities except for a shampoo and a soap, probably it was one of the largest room they have because we were offered another very small room with outside bathroom at a much cheaper price. I must point out that because of its location, it gets quite noisy at night especially if you are an early sleeper and are used to sleep with an open window. From the roof top there is a back view of the Acropolis. Breakfast is not included and it costs 5 euros per person and you have to book it the night before, which we did because couldn't be bothered to go out and find a coffee shop, outside you probably could have got more for the price but our times were quite tight. All in all we got what we paid for, given the hotel prices in Athens during summer.

Room Tip: If you are not on a very tight budget, ask for a room with its own bathroom
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

You can't beat the location. It is in Plaka district, walking distance to shopping, sites and nightlife. Most of the rooms are decent size but some are on the small side so if you want more space just ask for a larger room. The hotel is simple but very clean and the staff is very accommodating. I have stayed at this hotel 3 times and plan to return on my next visit to Greece.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite small and/or do not have a bathroom in suite. If you want a private in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margomee
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is located right in the Plaka, which made it very convenient - I would come few times a day on my way to attractions, to change, leave items I bought in the room, etc. It is less than 5 min walk from the Acropolis metro station. The view of Acropolis from the roof top terrace was really great, especially at night.
Now the not so good things. When I was told the room did not have a view - I thought it did not have a view of Acropolis - which was fine with me. However it did not have...any view... When I opened the small window all I could see - the fire staircase. The room was old (but clean) and small. I had my private bathroom, but experience was really weird with water changing from super cold to very hot every 20 seconds or so. Also, the shower was small and did not have any curtains - which means that if you needed to use it, everything in the bathroom would be soaked. Maybe Greeks know of a special way of how to properly use it, but I had to wash my head while seating on a toilet bowl...
The one thing that totally pissed me off was that the cleaning team left the window open one day which could make it very easy for anyone to get into the room (remember, I mentioned the fire staircase that was right in front of my window).
Nonetheless, I slept fine, and would suggest this hotel for people who just need a place to sleep and then go explore the city. Otherwise get a room with the Acropolis view and a balcony. Price at 60 Euro per night was good, considering the convenient location.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gerdatugan
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Phaedra 20 years ago when it cost 10 drachmas a night and there were no locks on the bathroom doors (ah, the old romanticism of old Greece before it joined the euro). Well, things have changed! Even though the location and basics made it a good stay back then, it's a really good stay now. The owners are lovely and are incredibly helpful. The rooms have been renovated to a very comfortable standard with lovely bathrooms and aircon. There's a great breakfast room downstairs. The location is fantastic - right in the heart of the plaka. The owners will email a copy of the map for directions from the Akropolis metro stop. I recommend arriving by metro as taxi drivers still struggle to locate some hotels when you give them Athenian streets in English. We caught the metro from the international airport (easy map on the train but 15 quick stops, change at Syntagma for 1 stop to Akropolis). You can easily walk to the hotel from the metro stn. This hotel is well priced compared to others. Has a rooftop overlooking the Akropolis and some rooms have views of the Akropolis while others have views of the plaka.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline C
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here for two years now and love this hotel. Marianna and the staff are always so friendly and helpful. The location can't be beat and the room with the view of the Acropolis never ceases to amaze. Our stay here always gives us a wonderful taste of Greek hospitality!
J & J from CT, USA

Room Tip: Spend the extra euros to get a room with a view of the Acropolis
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple