“So good I went back for a second stay”

Pagration Youth Hostel
Pagration Youth Hostel
Ranked #177 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I love the look of this hostel. It has hanging flowers everywhere and feels very exotic. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and had a lot of fun on both of my stays.

You have to pay for the showers and washing facilities but I have never been to a hostel where the washing machines are free and the showers are good. The rooms are so cheap that paing a couple of Euros extra doesn't make it bad value at all.

I walked all over Athens from this hostel. It is centrally located but you will need to walk for a little while before you hit the tourist hotspots.

The kitchen is a little small and if it is busy in the hostel you will need to time it right when wanting to cook.

A big bonus here is the free wifi. Also look out for the tourist ticket books which give you reduced cost admission for certain tourist exhibits. They are usually floating aroung the social area.

If I was visiting Athens again I would book myself in here for another stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Al_Nogeira

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Pagration Youth Hostel advertises many things which simply aren't included, and the maintenance of the building is lacking.

Amenities which are advertised but not included: central heating, wi-fi, safe deposit, information desk, washing machine and dryer, and 24-hour hot water.

I was there in March, and there was no heating in our female dorm. We had a fan, but it was very chilly in the room, and my friend and I were constantly shivering. Additionally, it cost money to take a shower with hot water, and the taps in the bathrooms did not have hot water. I would pay euro to take a shower, but after 5 minutes the shower water would turn icy and I'd have to sprint out and put more money in. Once the machine ate my money, and the staff wouldn't give me a refund.

The safe deposit is just the room where the manager sleeps. There was one young man working 24-7, and when I wanted to get my luggage I had to track him down or wake him up. Though there was an information desk, it was empty the whole time I was there, so in order to get maps, advice, etc, I also had to track the young man down. This man told me he was working for room and board, so it seemed to me that 1) he was overworked, and 2) there wasn't much incentive to provide good service.

I booked a private room, but when I showed up the manager had sent all the queen-sized sheets to the wash so we had no bedding. They gave us some small blankets in place of sheets. Even though they had advance notice, they weren't ready for us.

The wi-fi was out the entire week we were there. They sent us to an internet cafe 10 minutes away, where we had to spend more money to use the internet.

There is also no clothes dryer. After using the washing machine (which costs more euro), I had to walk up a rickety spiral staircase to the roof and line-dry my clothes.

I booked this hostel because I thought it was a good value for my money. But after paying for hot water, internet, and washing, it turned out to be more expensive than other hostels with better resources.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Rachel H
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I want to start off by saying that this place is perfectly reasonable for the price. However, what is not reasonable is the fact that they COMPETELY misrepresent themselves in every hostel booking site as well as their own site and Facebook page. These sites indicate that they take credit cards as payment; they do not. The site indicates that they have 24 hour reception; they so not. Their staffed by a motly crew but the woman who seems to be in charge acts as if you are inconveniencing her when asking for a service that is supposedly provided. She always seems to be sleepy and does not assist the other staff in cleaning, but rather tells them what to do in a harsh tone (including a young man that couldn't be older than 15). We checked out on time but had an evening flight so we decided to stay in the common area (where it was indicated previously that we could stay until 4PM) to hang out with some new friends. This same woman came to us at 3:00 and told us we had to leave AT 3:00! So we were kicked out in an impromptu manner and then she wanted a hug when we left! Also, they claim to clean the linens for each person, but they were clearly dusty and matted. Finally we come to the "quiet hours". These are enforced before 8AM, between 12 and 5PM and after 11PM. However there were several people being loud early in the morning and I didn't hear a single reprimand. Alternately, when 4 of us were quietly chatting in the common area and the same woman told us (in a rather loud voice) that we needed to be quiet. It seems as if she picks and chooses which rules to enforce when based on who she likes and what is easiest. Ultimately, I consider myself a thrifty person but I would absolutely not go back to this hostel.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Flrose91
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had a great stay at Pagration in Athens. I really recommend it! The price absolutely can't be beat for what you are getting-- I think it's the best hostel in Athens. The others are all either quite expensive or in sketchy locations or both. This hostel is quite cheap and in a great neighborhood. I was a solo female traveler and I never felt unsafe in Athens or at the hostel. It's very easily accessible by tram, and I got a female only room where there was only one other guest, so this was really nice. The people who work there are very friendly and help point out directions and sightseeing destinations in the city. Athens is a wonderful city and Pagration is a great place to stay to experience it!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Sammiefri
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This place I recommend! A little bit out of the centre only takes about 20mins walk and tram to monastiraki. The area is safe, (we were walked by a random old lady with a walking stick to our hostel).
Henry one of the staff is always there to help. The first day he sat down with us and told us all the key points to visit in Athens, including where all the dodgy areas are.
He also told us a detailed step by step itinery to get to Meteora, after researching on the Internet for ever.
The place is clean, wifi is found everywhere. Clean kitchen, with lots of free herbs and if you're lucky free pita bread!
Close to a supermarket, and a really good and cheap fast Greek food shop and bakery.

We ended up staying 5 nights instead of 2, totally worth it!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Sarrabh
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great service with a Ranger smile. I came to Greece with no idea what to do or where to go. The Hostel was very goo at sending me directions. They where very informative a lot of directions of where to go and things to do. Place is clean and there is a open day room with tv. Wifi so that you can look things up and not garbage wifi that bogs down when everyone is on the net but proper wifi fast. Henry is knowledgeable and curtius and always available for questions.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank ELBurro27
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Apart from the stark fact that 12 (or more) people have to use one bathroom with a ridiculous 50cent charge for hot water and a filthy toilet, as well as the plethora of other minor problems, my lasting impression (if you can call it that) is that the staff in Pagration hostel are the most amateur, unprofessional and rude I have encountered. Having had my bag and all my valuables stolen, I asked a member of staff for advice and the possibility of having my and my friend's further two night stay reimbursed as we had no money or cards. He, instead of helping us in anyway, managed to change our emergency situation into how it was inconvenient for him to hear this and that, to quote, "it's actually harder for me to hear this from tourists". He then halfheartedly intercommed the owner saying that "two kids just had their stuff stolen and demand a refund" before raising his eyebrows in a patronising and utterly uncaring way before reinforcing how much of a bother it was for him, in the face of me and my friend having had wallet, cameras, diary, bag and lots of money stolen. The most unpleasant place I've stayed in. Avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: Dont go here