Apollo Hotel
$169
$111
$102
  • Breakfast included
Athens Lotus Hotel(Athens)(Great Value!)
$105
$185
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmetro stationbudget hotelboiled eggsbus stoproof terracebreakfast includedmetaxourgioacropoliskioskhophoneysitessyntagma
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Although near Metaxourghio metro station, thus close to Acropolis and other attractions, there were many reasons that made me regret staying at this hotel, the whole area looks very desolate, more like a ghetto, at the reception there was an extremely obnoxious blonde woman who looked at people that she was doing them a favour, the elevator kept on going to first floor while we were in it because it was being called so we ended up carrying our luggage to the 6th floor, the sink was leaking which they luckily fixed but the universal A/C remote control was not set so it didn't work, we fortunately made it work in the end because nobody at the reception cared (probably you can't make more than one complaint), the view was unpleasant, we saw only the dirty rooftops of nearby buildings with noisy generators..we asked for a double bed and got a twin bed, and the mattresses kept on sliding apart..Wi-fi doesn't work very well, kept on disconnecting..basic breakfast, nothing special. There are much better accomodations than this, to make your stay more comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mari D
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. The single rooms are a little smaller than the regular rooms but big enough for one person. The television had no English channels and CNN didn't have sound, if that matters. Breakfast in the morning is good but basic. The location is good in that it is next to a subway stop and walking distance to the acropolis, train station, and buses to Albania and Bulgaria. There was a market a block away with good prices on beer and soda and a $1.5 (euro) gyro place nearby. The rooms have a refrigerator to store beverages. It is not an upscale neighborhood but I didn't see anything unusual. I was in bed by early evening so I cannot comment on what the area is like at night. In Athens the sun is intense in early July so it is best to get an early start on the day if you are going to be walking around. If your passing through for a couple of days and are going to be out sightseeing and eating all day this place is perfectly acceptable and much cheaper than most other places.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Apollo in June 2013 and found it to be a pleasant enough place. The staff were very helpful with maps and things to do etc and the hotel is situated right near the metro. It's not in the nicest area of Athens but you get what you pay for and it is very easy to move around. We had AC, balcony, nice bathroom with good shower and plentiful storage and fridge. There is also tv if you want it. There was a breakfast included. I personally didn't try it but my boyfriend went down once and thought it was a bit lacking as the meats were bad quality and there were things he wasn't too sure about how to define. They have a nice rooftop bar where you can have some food and drinks. We enjoyed it up there but drinks were quite expensive, especially as I asked for a cocktail, she said she could make 2 cocktails and the one I ended up having was just a malibu and pineapple... overall though, a good stay at the Apollo and the walls are quite thick as we had large families next to us with kids and we didn't really hear them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Travelling on my own I had a single room, big mistake, Bathroom/toilet was minute and the rooms small window looked over a working building site so no lay ins for me. Normal rooms and family rooms looked ok to me, and other guests seemed happy. Although I didnt use it the rooftop bar/restaurant looked very nice. Breakfast was normal Greek breakfast fare eg ham.boiled eggs,cheese etc - plentiful. Reception and bar staff were friendly and helpful though not Greek. Very easy access from local underground station (just round the corner), in immediate locality there was not much in the way of restaurants and bars and I didnt feel happy loitering in vicinity, though not once did i feel threatened. A good bargain hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed there in May 2013 and had a very good experience. Effie at the front desk was wonderful and extremely helpful. She supplied us with maps and advise on where to go and where to stay away from. Her suggestion of taking the hop-on-hop-off bus was spot on. I wonders all around Athens with commentary via headphones in 12 languages. The final stop is The Acropolis (all in itself worth the entire trip). We went from Athens to Marathon Beach for a week and Effie was again helpful in getting us to the right bus.
This hotel is not the Ritz but it is clean, the breakfast acceptable, the staff very nice and helpful, and the rooftop bar and food grill amazing. To sit on the rooftop and enjoy a nice cold Fix beer while watching the Acropolis light up at night was something we will never forget. We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary there and certainly would return.

Room Tip: Rooms with the balcony view of the Acropolis are very comfortable but the floor is noisier - rooms with the courtyard view are smaller but quieter (beds were also harder - so if you like a soft mattress don't go for these)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple