“Terrific Place to Stay”

Ranked #111 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Brooklyn, NY
“Terrific Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Loved this hotel. Booked it in person when I learned I had a problem at the hotel I originally booked through the internet. I was traveling with another woman and we had intended on having our own rooms and baths. Since it was a last minute thing, we felt fortunate to be able to get a room to share! The price was 80 euros (40 each) and, magically, the room they gave us was the penthouse with a private rooftop area and view of the Acropolis! Although it's not technically in the Plaka, it's so close that it absolutely didn't matter. The people were terrific; they spoke English well, had wifi as well as 2 computers available for guests. There were no negatives about the Omiros.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tylers_Gooma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I completely agree with Destiny's review. Absolutely true. I also dropped in looking for a room to stay after we came from the islands 1 week later. We reserved and also left a suitcase in their luggage deposit. The man, Mr Elias, showed me a room because I wanted to see the type of room they had. Nice bathroom and room, identical to the previous photos. Minifridge, balcony. Free internet access in the lobby. Breakfast was fine, good croissants, cakes, bread, ham, cheese, etc, etc. and I liked the coffee.
The only negative thing is that we payed for 3 days/nights but the first day we checked in at 9pm because we arrived from Mykonos and the day we left, we asked the man at reception if we could stay in the room 2 more hours, taking into account that we had checked in so late the first day, but he refused. So we had to leave room at 12 and walk around till we left for the airport. I think he could have been more flexible. At reception there always were 4 different men who took shifts. One of them smoked too much. Perhaps they should try to look more "professional", specially taking into account that thre are 2 more hotels on the same block, with uniformed receptionists. There is a roof with a view to the Acropolis but the place is not used as a public area. It's a pity.

• Liked — The room and the strategical location
  • Disliked — The reception staff should look professional
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Vivyrom
Destin Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We needed a room which could sleep 4 for our last night in Athens after a trip to Santorini. Previously, we spent a week in Athens, in Plaka and were very pleased with that area. So it was important to stay close to Plaka again for our last night and this hotel was only a 5 minute walk to Kidathineon Street. The hotel is also as close to the metro.
If I had checked the ratings on this hotel by trip advisor before booking, I would have never even entertained the idea of staying in one of the rooms. I did not have access to a computer while traveling and just dropped in to inquire on rates, room size, etc. Some hotels would not let me see the rooms before booking, but the gentleman at the front desk of Omiros had no problem with my request. The rooms were clean. I especially loved the floors because they were wood (or Pergo). My family has allergies and I need a low dust room. I was told the hotel was smoking, which usually makes me run the other direction. Even though the lobby did smell of smoke (there was someone smoking), the room had no odor. It also had a very small balcony with a sliding glass door. The bathroom looked new and the sprayer could be made to fit over head (for those 5'9" and under). The A/C was individually controlled by a remote in the room. This hotel does have an electricity control in the rooms. When you leave the room, all electricity shuts off. So do not expect the room to be cold when you return. But it cools off quickly. There is a small fridge. We slept on 2 twin beds pushed together. The other bed had a pull out trundle. So we all slept comfortably but it was a little tight for 4 when the bed was pulled out. The lobby and stairway were very nice marble and the front doors, a modern glass. The breakfast was the typical greek breakfast, ham & cheese, yogurt, honey, fruit, coffee, milk, diluted juice. Apparently there was a roof top overlook of the Acropolis which we did not have the opportunity to see. Our room backed up to a quiet street. However, I did hear noise from other rooms during the night, but nothing too loud (my family slept through it!).
Going out of the lobby to the street, turn right, and you will find a nice little market with anything you need, especially fresh fruit. There is also a modern Noodle Bowl Restaurant. When you reach the corner, look for a little greek restaurant (I forgot the name), but you will know it is authentic greek food by all of the locals eating at this place. 2 more turns and you are in Plaka for shopping, more restaurants, movies, markets, etc. And of course, very close to the Acropolis.
I felt this hotel was perfect for out needs. It was comfortable and clean. The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful. We paid e120 a night and felt it was a fair price for the type of room and location.

• Liked — Sleeps 4 People
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Destiny07
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Omiros Hotel has the location in central Athens, but don't expect much beyond that. It is on a relatively quiet street blocks from all the major attractions.

Room size was OK for this class, it was air-conditioned, and it seemed clean -- but we did have to kill one cockroach. The breakfast is awful -- tasteless coffee (in Greece!), minimal selection for food.

The desk staff conforms to the old bad stereotypes about Greek service: if they think there's money to be had, they can be friendly, but once they've got your Euros, they could care less. Too many places have come up to European standard for this to be acceptable any more.

• Liked — Location, reasonably quiet.
  • Disliked — Staff, breakfast, one cockroach.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels