“Good hotel. Excellent service!”
Review of Golden City Hotel

Golden City Hotel
Ranked #198 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Hi,
I don't usually write reviews but this trip to Europe was somewhat different from my prior trips so I was compelled to share my experience.
When I arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised that both the lobby and the rooms were in a very good condition (clean, fresh, well-ventilated, most appliances in workable condition). Not only did everyone speak English but they were extremely polite and helpful from the very start. The bathroom was clean, the outside noise was well insulated by the thick balcony glass door and even the TV picked up a few English channels. Given the price and the proximity to two subway stations (5 min by foot each), the national archeological museum right around the corner, this was a steal. The only thing that I could see some people potentially being turned off by are the large number of small (sketchy?) streets on the way to the hotel from one of the metro stations - that is if you wanted to take a shortcut, teeming with sketchy people just hanging out on street corners. Although, I've walked this route dozens of times alone, I was never bothered, no matter how late in the night it had been.

Traveling alone has its perks - don't need to spend too much time deciding what to do or where to go next. You typically also get to meet a lot more folks this way. However, when it comes to certain experiences, having a close friend nearby would be invaluable.
On my fourth of eight days in Greece, when I went to bed thinking I'd book a ferry to Santorinni or Mykonos the next morning, the thought of being driven to the hospital in an ambulance within the following three hours didn't cross my mind. Unfortunately, this is what happened. I woke up with an acute pain in my stomache. My immediate thoughts were - the stupid wine, which I consumed half a bottle of several hours earlier, the stupid 14EUR grilled seabrass - never again am I eating fish. The pain was so agonizing that it made me believe in God. All machoness escaped me, when lying on the bed at 3AM in the morning I was considering if this pleasant experience was transitory or if I should really crawl downstairs and ask for an ambulance. Better safe then sorry, I thought - packed my toothbrush, passport, some money and wobbled on to the elevator, moaning like a wounded wild boar.
I must say I was really impressed with how quickly I got through the emerency room, and with the revealation that most of the hospital staff had very decent grasp of English. Some tests were ran, I was drugged a bit and sent home with a prescription in my hand about two to three hours later. The hotel staff even agreed to pick up my medications from a nearby pharmacy, as I was still in pain when I found my way back to the hotel.

At the end of the day, I was happy that I didn't book a hostel and ended up in a hotel with such helpful staff. I guess, the other lessons here are not to take good health for granted - as it can slip through your fingers faster than you can say "oh ****" - and to consider whether the freedom that comes with traveling alone is worth the price.
DB

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Dimitri B
There are newer reviews for Golden City Hotel

Reviewed November 29, 2011

For budget tourist this was a nice experience. Cheap price for 4 nights. Bathroom was very tidy, htpugh a little bit small but the showers had hot water. Location was by a bigger street where it was easy to catch taxi or walk few minutes to the Syntagma square. Cannot say anything about service as the restaurant was closed for maintence for the whole time.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi worked fine on our room, second floor
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ahaapa
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here for one night as a family of four in a quadruple room and loved it. It is modern, spotlessly clean, decorated in a simple tasteful way, and the staff are really friendly and helpful. Everything works without any hassle or difficulty and there is everything you need. And it is fantastically good value. Good range at breakfast. Apparently it's not in a good area of Athens, which perhaps explains the good price, but you don't get any hint of this when you're staying there. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz D
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We stayed at Golden City Hotel for two nights, we think it is pretty good - for the price and the location. 5 minutes walking to train station, only 3 - 4 stops to Syntagma & Akropoli. bathroom is clear, room is not very big, but good enough. However, no internet access at room, free wi-fi at lobby only (and not fast). If you are willing to pay a little $$$ for internet, i would think it is a great choice to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The hotel offers a great vale for the money you spend. It is close to the metro station (~400m) and the rooms are adequate. Would recommend it for a short stay in Athens. Be careful though, I would not recommend walking in the surrounding area late at night. Bathroom could be cleaner.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I was a bit sceptical when I first saw some of the negative reviews of this hotel but I was proved wrong. We spent three glorious nights here and enjoyed great service and a fabulous buffet breakfast. We stayed in three different Athens hotels and this one provided the best breakfast by far.

Everything was clean and professional and our room was spacious and comfortable. Yes, the area outside may seem somewhat dingy but we had no problems walking the streets and finding our way by bus and metro.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tahmeee
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We came here on a tour organized through Special Olympics. The elevator is unreliable and has not worked for 24 continuous hours since we arrived. We have been stuck in the elevator several times. In our bathroom there is paint peeling off the walls. When we arrived we were given 1 room key for 3 people and when we asked for additional keys we were told to come back later. when we returned we were told we could only get 1 more key. The roof top restaurant is perpetually closed for any meal other than breakfast. The rooms are cramped leaving little to no room for luggage.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family