“What a mess”
Review of Stalis Hotel

Stalis Hotel
Ranked #206 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We recently went to athens to visit family and we stayed at the above hotel if i have one bit of advice to give to people thinking of going to this hotel then please don't, It is a hole on the first night the toilet started overflowing after it was flushed by my mother-in-law then we were told to use the toilet in the next room which had the bathroom door hanging off.

The hotel was dirty and smelly if you wanted a cup of tea or coffee you had to go to starbucks and buy one on top of the price of the hotel, The rooms were all drafty and freezing cold the air con would work for half an hour a day for you to keep warm and most rooms didn't have spare blankets, It was supposed to be 3* but they must have got them stars for frying chips at maccies as i wouldn't give it any what a load of rubbish it was to stay there and I advise nobody else to waste thier money on this hell hole

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank debs045

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Hotel was good for the price. However the area was terrible. During the day drug dealing and drug injecting went on right outside the hotel. The local restaurant owner warned me not to go out at night with my girlfriend and if we did make sure no valuables were visible. He said the area was a no go area for the police.
The hotel was decent, good room with a nice balcony. But generally felt very unsafe when you left the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PaulD_H81
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Just after renovation the hotel looks like new.Fresh painted rooms with new furniture and without a carpet!!!! Very clean and quiet room , i think is a great value for money for just 40 euros for a double bed with breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I went there last weekend with my partner. The hotel itself is worth what you are paying for ( small room) but the location is just awful! The area is rough rough rough! We checked in and went for a walk and realised how disgusting and scary the area was compared to the rest of the city. We went back to the hotel and decided to check out and went to another budget hotel close to the acropolis. We off course had to pay the first night even if we checked in and out the same afternoon. I could not have imagined staying in this hotel.... what a nightmare!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank natvy1983
Reviewed January 22, 2009

The Hotel Stalis is situated in the middle of one the most perilous areas of Athens. There are literally red lights in the flats around the hotel. I did wonder if the hotel rented rooms by the hour (if you know what I mean)!

The hotel staff seemed peeved that they may have to do some work even though I appeared to be the only guest! I checked the reviews for this hotel, but the reviews, and especially the photos, do not reflect my experience. My room was small, with an old tv and really old fashioned telephone! No shower curtain on the shower resulted in a flooded bathroom every time.

In the morning, the breakfast (included in price) was meagre. No milk, no butter, no cereal, no fruit. Just 4 (yes, 4) pieces of toast and jam with black coffee (that I had to make myself). No staff and no other guests. Eerie.

The next day, the room was locked, so I went hungry. The moody staff were too awful, so I didn't tackle the locked breakfast room. I just left as it was my last day anyway. Good luck with this one.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MawkieLondon
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We had a lot of difficulty finding budget accomodation in Athens and finally choose Hotel Stalis instead of a hostel as it was better priced at €50 per room per night. I booked through Venere and mentioned that I would be arriving after midnight but due to delays it was 5am before we got there. The gent on reception was friendly and got us into our room quickly.
The rooms are spacious with a double and a single bed, fresh towels and a good air con unit. This is a budget hotel but is clean, tidy and in good overall condition. Breakfast was included in the price and although not a great selection, we enjoyed it.
The location worried me beofre we got there but if you stik to the main roads you souldn't have any problems. We walked everywhere in Athens, it took us about 20 mins to get from the hotel to the main shopping areas and the staff are extremely helpful with showing where everything is and giving out maps and advice.
We ended up having to spend a night in Athens a month later and booked in to the hotel without even loking for anywhre else, if you want a very cheap hotel that is clean and friendly with fre internet access close to the sites this is as good as anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Once in a rare while you come across a hotel that leaves such a bad taste in your mouth that it virtually ruins the entire city for you. Stalis was just such a place for me and my girlfriend.

When I booked the hotel I knew my flight would not be arriving in Athens until 3AM, so I put a special note under comments that we were booking for the night but would not arrive until 4AM. I was so concerned about this, that I wrote an email the day of the reservation again informing that I would not arrive until very early the in the morning of the next day. I specifically requested that they not give away my reservation and stated that I would be there as planned.

When we arrived in Athens we took a great 24 hour bus to Syntagma Square from the airport, hoping to avoid a hefty cab fair. We then took a cab from the square to Stalis - a 5 minute drive that cost us 25 Euros and took us down sketchy hooker-lined streets prompting the crooked cabbies quote "Welcome to Africa". But the best was yet to come...

When we finally arrived at the destination, the cabbie warned that we not take all the bags in just yet - apparently Stalis has a reputation for what was about to happen...

The hotelier told me upon arrival that he had a problem with our reservation. His lame excuse was that one of the floors of the hotel was without power and so they did not have a room for us. I told him that I specifically emailed him about this and asked why they had not responded to me before about not having a room for me. He had no answer. He said they could have a room for me at 7AM when an electrician was coming. I suggested that since it was 4 AM we would not be needing power until the morning because we were going straight to sleep. He still could not provide me with a room. Obviously this was a lousy excuse for overbooking.

After much bickering, he sent me to their sister hotel Parnon, an otherwise normal hotel where we finally slept but which did not have some of the amenities for I had specifically booked Stalis - especially no luggage room for when we were touring the Greek Islands. I cancelled my return reservation to Stalis from the Islands. The last thing you want at 4AM is a hotel that gave away your reservation. Thanks Stalis, for being the worst hotel I have every encountered.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple