WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #231 of 336 Hotels in Athens
Ottawa, Ontario
“Neos Olympos Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

This place is innexpensive, decently located and serves anyones basic needs. I would stay here again.

Location: Near the train station, on a busy, main road, we felt the location was good. We could walk to two metro stations within minutes and although the neighbourhood is not the most "friendly" looking, we always felt safe as it is very busy. It is NOT located in a touristy area, but that's what we liked. It was easy to find cheap meals around the hotel as there aren't much tourist traps around.

Front desk: We arrived early and they kept our bags for free. The employees were nice and friendly and the reception desk was opened 24h/day (and they lock the doors, so it's safe). The reception area is crowded but there is a bathroom, two computers free of charge and a "living room" style where you can hang out if need be. Breakfast was included and was the typical Greek breakfast... Olives, cheese, bread... The juice was kool-Aid style (yuk) but honestly... the price of the hotel is so cheap, you really don't go there for the breakfast. We didn't mind. We'd eat a toast which would hold us off eating for a few hours and then eat at a nice restaurant for lunch.

Room: We had two single beds in our room and the mattress were extremely comfortable. The room and ensuite were clean. AC and wifi worked well, although because we were on the top floor, I would sometime lack of a signal... As for a room on the second floor if you want to make sure to catch the wi-fi signals in your room. Also - Hotel does NOT have elevators so people with large suitcases (we had backpacks, so we were ok) or leg problems probably want to stay somewhere else or make SURE they are on the second floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anikabella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here again after having such a good experience last year. The hotel is a beautiful old building and we had a lovely corner room with 2 balconies, one overlooking the old Peloponnese Railway Station. Although the hotel is on a main road, we weren't troubled by noise and enjoyed a comfortable night's sleep. Breakfast was the usual continental buffet and the food and drinks were constantly topped up. We've stayed in places that cost a lot more and weren't nearly as good.

The hotel is very easily reached from the airport and is convenient for all transport links - both into the centre of Athens and to the rest of Greece. We'd read negative reports about the area but didn't find any cause for concern, even late at night. It was late when we arrived at the hotel but we were able to have a very nice, reasonably priced meal at a friendly restaurant a short walking distance away, and there were bars nearby.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, and made us feel welcome. The owner, Georgia, was happy to chat and to store our cases until our evening ferry

We'd have loved to stay again on our way back home through Athens but unfortunately, for us, the hotel was fully booked!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night in late august and would not return. Unhelpful and rude staff! Air conditioner was not working so asked at reception for help, the staff member gave new remote and directions what to do in a very short manner, however still not working. When went down for the second time staff member came up to room very reluctantly although we were only on the first floor and then jiggled the card in the door to work the air con. He then yelled at us that we were unable to follow instructions and slammed our door!! It was then sweltering hot the whole night as the air con didn't work very well. The toilet also leaked all over the floor, flooding the bathroom and the hostel was in a dodgey neighborhood. As two girls we felt unsafe going out on the street by ourselves!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Probynd

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was such a cheap hotel and at the same time super charming. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Free internet, perfect balcony, included breakfast, airco, storage room for luggage, ... This will be my hotel every time I visit Athens!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I would stay here again. My friends and I had to book an extra night and they had availability, which made things a lot easier for us. The hotel staff was very nice and easy to understand when they spoke English. The common room had a TV and computers to use too. Gyro places and bars near by to watch soccer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We paid 11€/night per person (because of the crisis), which is incredibly cheap in summer season.
Hotel is charming, rooms are clean, bed comfortable, air conditioning is working as described.
Internet is fine, with 2 computers + wifi available.
There is a breakfast, but don't expect much.
The metro station is near.
The area is not busy but it's the same in 90% on Athens.
There is a supermarket quite close to the hotel, and supermarkets are sooo rare in this city !
To sum up, you can't find any better hotel at this rate.

Room Tip: 1st floor is fine
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank painyh
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Im giving this hotel five stars and i wish I could give more, this is unusual for me, but i just want to make clear that this hotel was quite a shock. I paid 11 euro for a hotel that is first of all beautiful visually from the moment you walk in it's top class. I couldn't actually believe I was at the right spot because it's really beautiful inside. So I had to climb three flights of stairs! big deal. I got exercise which I needed to lose those extra pounds to wear a swim suit on Mykonos! The room was a 4 bedroom mixed dorm but for the first night I was with one girl who was nice and quiet and pleasant and the next night two guys but they were very nice and respectful. The type of people it attracts are nice pleasant travellers or were when I was there. This also included breakfast!!!!!! unbelievable. I was talking to another couple who said they thought they were at the wrong place after booking online too. The cleaning is a little on the down side but that's only cos i'm a real fuss pot, and even being a fuss pot I wouldn't complain except if I was paying 80 euro a night for instance then I would think it was a bit ordinary. You get fresh sheets and towels every day. air con in the room which works beautifully, a lovely balcony and it's only 4 stops away from the acropolis. the metro is only a short distance down the road walking distance it takes less than five minutes to get there and a lovely safe metro at that. The area isn't the absolute best but I never felt unsafe. There are plenty of people around the streets to feel safe and I'm a woman travelling on my own. Believe me I've never giving a place five stars before but this place was unbelievably good for the price. I was speaking to one of the workers here and he said last year this place had 90% on trip adviser and it only took 2 or 3 people who weren't nice people and complainers to put their score down so much. Now they are thinking of closing cos they've had to put thier prices down so much and they aren't doing so well. People think they have to be right at the Acropolis but honestly there is no need when it's so close and easy to get to from here and you'lll pay more there anyway. So take my advice at least try this place for one night and i promise you'll book to stay here more! You'll save money and you'll enjoy staying here I promise.

Room Tip: just book and stay here full stop. unless you can't get upstairs easily then ask for a floor tha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo