“Okay hotel in terrible area”
Review of Polis Grand Hotel

Polis Grand Hotel
Ranked #45 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Atlanta, Georgia
“Okay hotel in terrible area”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Parts of this hotel seem like they have been renovated recently. The lobby, the restaurant, and rooftop were all nice. The rooms are mildly comfortable, but the room we stayed in had a shower so small that every time we used it, water covered the entire bathroom floor. Also, the bed was hard as a rock. The entire hotel smells slightly of cigarette smoke. Even though we were in a non-smoking room, the smell has permeated the entire building. However, the biggest downside to this hotel is its location. During the day, you can walk to almost all of Athens, and the hotel is about three blocks from the Omonia Square Metro station. But we had several Athenians tell us that Omonia Square was the most dangerous places in Athens to be out at night. When we would tell people where we were staying, they would act surprised and very concerned about us being out after dark. Therefore, whenever we left the hotel after dark, we had to take a taxi directly from the door of the hotel to where we were going, which was expensive and a pain. Although the price of this hotel is attractive, if you are a tourist, I would recommend staying closer to the Acropolis area and the Plaka, where it is safe to wander around at night.

Another small detail: when you leave this hotel, they ask that you leave your room key at the front desk. They keep all the keys in little slots behind the desk. When you come back into the hotel, you just tell them your room number and they hand you the key. It seemed like a very unsecure system to us because the desk attendant rarely seemed like he was paying attention when he handed out keys. We finally started just leaving the hotel without giving our key back because we did not feel like our stuff was safe in our room when we left the key with the front desk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M M
polisgrand, Director of Sales at Polis Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear guest ,
Thank you very much for choosing the Polis Grand for your stay in Athens and for your valuable review. We sincerely apologize for all the issues that you have encountered. It is our responsibility to ensure a perfect hospitality experience for each and everyone of our guests thus we have already addressed your issues internally and thank you for bringing them forward to us.
Once again we are very sorry and thank you again for your choice and feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Marshall, Missouri
Reviewed June 13, 2013

While several taxi drivers, tour drivers suggested my sister-in-law and I might not want to walk the neighborhood, except toward closest metro station, we walked and used metro, heading to visit Acropolis and Parthenon. Then walked down the mountain through old neighborhoods, Plaka, and through the Farmer's Market. Great fun! Returning to the hotel and going to dinner on the rooftop though...an amazing view of the Acropolis, right from our table! Outstanding! Thanks to front desk staff, Manolis, the next day we spent cruising three islands, Hydra, Poros and Aegina. Great way to end our vacation, sun, water, and island adventures!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SMills2013
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is very convenient for setting out to see Athens, and the view from the Roof Top bar is superb of the city at night especially the Acropolis. The staff are very friendly, courteous and informative. We stayed on the way to and from a family wedding in Serifos and it made a convenient base to get to/from airport and ferry port being so close to the metro. The lifts could do with being bigger, but as long as you are prepared to wait then it is not a problem. For the price that we paid this was very good value.

Andrew W

Room Tip: Both rooms had a great view of the Acropolis from the balcony that we stayed in 307 and 511.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
polisgrand, Director of Sales at Polis Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear guest
Thank you for choosing New Hotel during your recent visit in Athens. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the great views of Acropolis. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Prague
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel in the summer time and I have a more than a mixed feelings. Firstly, I was booked for a double room which was honestly HORRIBLE! There is no standard for the double room, dirty, ugly small, smelly room with a dirty mini bathroom. wow, I was really shocked. I went immediately to the desk to change the room. I have agreed to pay extra fee and I bought an apartment based on the roof. The quality of the apartment was much better, the level of their apartment is like a normal good double room in some other hotel. I liked the balcony, which made me really comfortable. The location of the hotel is good, in the center, so easy to walk everywhere. Regarding the staff, they were a bit of intrusive, but once you show the barrier, you can stop them. The breakfast was good and tasty. I hated the lift which is big just for 1 person. If you may have a stress from tide spaces, you need to take a stairs. I have a mixed feelings, if you are willing to pay, you get a starndart which is normal everywhere. If you pay the basic double, you get a dormitory. I cannot understand how they can have such a differences between the standard double and the apartment.

Room Tip: do not stay in the stardard room!! get the apartment!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jana M
Singapore
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is my second time with Polis Grand and experience is better than last year. I booked a bigger room this time on the 8th floor with a superb view of Acropolis and Lycabettus from the big patio. the room is big enough for me and my partner. however bathroom is fairly small would have been nicer with a bathtub (like the lower floor smaller rooms) but it's ok. One of the cleaning lady (the blonde hair one) actually remembered me and my partner from our last year's stay and even remembered the room we stayed last year so it made us feel almost like home. the reception guys are nice and friendly as well. Room service is quick and nice too. I guess if i come to Athens again i would just stay here since i'm all familiar with the area already and well it does feel like my home

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
polisgrand, Director of Sales at Polis Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Mrs. Safie,

we are very pleased to see that once more you enjoyed your stay with us and we managed to make you feel like at home. We look forward to welcome you again in the near future
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I did not check out the reviews until after I booked. I did panic after seeing several reviews about muggings and graffiti in area surrounding hotel. The time I got to hotel was around 4am in which I took the airport bus for 5 euro's, journey took at least an hour to taxi station. Taxi to hotel was 10 euro,less than 10mins.Was very worried when dropped off as very quiet and saw graffiti. Worry not i had a great stay at hotel,staff very pleasant,room was clean. Restaurant served great food which I thought was good price. Rooftop bar and restaurant,what fantastic views I had. Wifi was ok, got great reception on ground floor not so much in my room,7th floor. Close to all attractions,walking distance 10-20mins. I travelled by myself (female) which why I was worried about other reviews. Will come stay here again. I would say they rated this hotel as 4 star because of rooftop view really which I give top marks for and ground floor restaurant food excellent. Location put me off. But I would still stay again. Sharon M

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sharon M
polisgrand, Director of Sales at Polis Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you as our guest at Polis Grand Hotel. Kindly note that we have upgraded our wifi system and now we offer free access from two providers for uninterrupted access..
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I liked the hotel, and the staff; they were very courteous and nice.
the hotel room is clean, it has a professional safe where you can put your docs and passport etc.
the hotel is close to the metro station. you can reach the airport by paying 8 euros.
you can walk from the hotel to the Acropolis in 10-15 minutes.
it is close to the national archaeological museum.
it has free internet though it doesn't work in the room. Nice continental breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business