“The perfect place to stay!!!”
Review of Athens Backpackers

Athens Backpackers
Ranked #4 of 63 Specialty Lodging in Athens
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Amazing location, just 2 min away from every place you need to see in Athens, really nice and helpful staff that is ready to answer to any questions that you may have. The walking tour provided by the hostel for only 6 euros was a great experience, the guide George, seemed to know everything about the city of Athens. The roof top bar had an awesome view to akropolis and I really enjoyed the karaoke night at sports bar. They even had a laundry, perfect for people who are travelling for some time. I would definitely stay there again and I really recommend it to anyone who wants to have a great experience in Athens!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Guan_C_Yin
There are newer reviews for Athens Backpackers

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am living in Athens the past 2 years and lately i cannot accommodate friends that are visiting. After searching for stay in the areas around Acropolis for them i discovered the Athens Backpackers and Studios, family run place that takes so good care of my guests every time and it has never failed. I've stayed here with my friends and some of the rooms are bigger than my apartment, the family studios are amazing rooms, with a full kitchen inside, huge balconies, the apartments with the lounge are so pretty. Plus the fish cafe which has become local's favorite dining place, serves free breakfast for the guests, the bar next door keeps you there every night with an event, and of course staying at Athens Studios or Backpackers makes sightseeing and getting to know the city very easy. Reception desk has so many suggestions about things you can do out of the beaten bath and they have always been meeting the requests of my crazy friends, all with a smile, i always try to have a chat with them...A couple of my friends with lower budget have stayed in the dormitories and they were really happy as well... the walking tour seems to be a good one, my friends new more staff about the city than me after that, i am thinking of taking it myself. ..

Room Tip: Check out the website and see pictures of the room before you book, they are real pictures.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome - it is located right near the acropolis and has a really nice rooftop bar which is great for socializing. The rooms are really nice, new and clean. The staff are also very friendly and staying here really made our experience in athens!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were supposed to stay a night at this place and were very excited. It wasn't the cheapest hostel but they seem to run a tight operation from the description with 24 hour customer service and attention to backpackers needs. Or so we thought! Our ferry was cancelled due to a storm and we had to change all of our travel plans in quite a hurry. We tried calling them, emailing them to let them know what happened, but no one was there. The 24 hour desk was a myth. They never responded to our emails, but charged us a full price for no show. Most places in Greece make allowances for ferry disruption but these people couldn't give a [--]. their whole backpacking ethos is a joke and they couldn't care less about helping people who travel on a budget. Truly, this place left the worst impression. Stay away unless u absolutely have to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Athensstudios, Owner at Athens Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Hi Olga,
It seems very unfair that we should receive a damming report from you about our customer service when you never even stayed with us. Our reception is open 24hrs should you need anything. And our phones are answered 100% of the time. We are constantly praised by guests as to the high levels of professionalism shown by all our staff.

Our booking cancellation policy is very forgiving compared to most accommodation providers. But we do need 24hrs in writing for cancellations as per the terms and conditions when you book. This is to protect you as much as us. Unfortunately when you cancel for what ever reason ( and we did check with the Greek Ferry Authorities) all ferry's where running that day. Our policy is to not charge for cancelled ferry's as its no fault of yours. But on this particular day they where running. And we need to be fair in our treatment of everyone. We love freestyle travelers its what we have built our business on. Come back and actually stay with us for free and we can show you how good our customer service. Kind Regards Daniel

Reviewed September 29, 2013

After making a last minute decision to stay in Athens for 1 week for business trip. I stayed at the Athens backpackers studios. it is very important to me the when I stay somewhere I feel very comfortable. Athens back packers may not sound the most ideal place to stay when you have high expectations, Or are used to 5 star treatment. I followed my friends advice who stayed there a few months ago and booked into the privet apartment. Rm 19. A spacious apartment , very clean, well equipped with all the basic needs that one may require when renting a Short let apartment comes also With A great balcony. Fast internet connection. And cleaned on a daily basis.
The location of the studios is perfect. I min away from the acropolis, the museum and the metro for you at access any part of Athens. The studios are located in the district of plaka. Which is a must see when in Athens. It's the ancient town. With good shops, beautiful restaurants and easy access to go for long quite walks.
The studios are above the sports bar where you can meet like minded people from all over the world all ages and even families older generation and couples. Over the week that I stayed there was a quiz night a karaoke and sports and games night. Very fun. I met loads of new people. There's is also a laundrette where you can do your quick washes and drying if need be. Everything was clean and functional.
There was also a fish cafe. It has to be the best place in Athens to eat burgers. It's a glorified fish and chips restaurants. You will not regret going there and trust me you will get addicted to there food. Great value. Defiantly goes in my top 3 places to eat when in Athens.
All round I was surprised at the service quality and what they offer for what I paid compared. To staying in a 5 star hotel. Defiantly return and most. Defiantly recommend this place to everyone I meet who mentions their going to Athens.11 out of 10 well do e to the masterminds of this joint.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank vishalpp_13
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My family had one of the apartments for a few nights on the way to my wedding in Santorini.

I would say the single best thing is the location. Being on the other side of the Acropolis from the busy, maze-like streets of Plaka, we felt comfortably away from the bustle, in a typical, non-touristy neighborhood, yet still walking distance from all the sights. Also, the amazing "Strofi Restaurant" is just down the street, with great Acropolis views.

The room itself was smaller and simpler than we expected. When we read "apartment" we expected a living room and bedroom, but it is a single, dorm-style bedroom with bunk beds. Having said that, it still has everything you need, including mini-fridge, bathroom, small balcony, etc.

The free breakfast was good, and the Greek yogurt for additional charge is amazing. The pub serves excellent food for dinner as well; I had a veggie burger with a huge slab of feta cheese on it that was amazing. There is a small drink stall down the street that sells cheap beers. You can also access a rooftop bar in their other hostel nearby.

The front desk is very helpful and offers any info you need, as well as daily walking tours. Recommended for small groups on a budget, backpackers, and anybody who wants to be close to the center but not right in Plaka where it can be easy to get lost. Comfortable enough for my parents (55 years old) but not for people who are used to upscale hotels.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nickkembel
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

The first night we had no hot water and the mattresses are wrapped in plastic so everyone makes a loud noise if they move in the bed. The rooftop bar had a good view but was cramped and had no seats or tables. There was also only 1 toilet and shower (in same room) on our level so queing is expected. Good location, close to all the main tourist hot spots and cheap souvlaki.

• Stayed: September 2013