TripAdvisor
Athens
All reviews nice hotel minute walk metro station rooftop garden mini bar clean rooms hotel is located breakfast buffet greek islands roof bar wi fi on foot late at night street noise great view of the acropolis acropolis museum euros
Selected filters
Reviewed September 20, 2015

A 20 min walk uphill takes you to the acropolis. Apart from that our room was a bit overpriced given the old furniture but especially the terrible mattress (that really ruined our stay). Breakfast ok as well as the roof top bar with view. Definitely not worth 4 stars

Reviewed September 17, 2015

Was looking for a reasonable-priced hotel in Athens, near the sights, but of at least four-star. I found the Ilissos on Tripadvisor. We stayed for one night. It was everything we needed. The service was good, very helpful and polite reception. The room was clean and well-equipped. The hotel was also clean and well-maintained. it also has a fabulous roof bar/terrace, with views across the city, which was pricelss. I have no complaints and would stay here again.

Reviewed September 15, 2015

My husband was locked in the basement toilets for 20 mins frantically calling for help but not heard. Until another hotel resident went to use the toilets. By that time, my husband was lying on the floor trying to breath air from below the door. Sweltering August Heat. Reception did not take it seriously and it was another 10 mins before a house keeper went to rescue him. Women at reception could see my husband was distressed and having a panic attack. She did not attempt to calm him, ask him to sit down or offer him water. Instead asked him to leave. It completely spoilt our holiday!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank labu2015
Reviewed September 13, 2015

My husband and I stayed in Greece over a period of 10 days - nine of which were filled with amazing people, food and accommodation. We decided to end our vacation with a day and a half in Athens before we flew home to Chicago. Based on the above average star-rating and low price, we chose this hotel. We knew we would be spending a bit more on hotels in the islands, so we thought we would take our chances with something a little less pricey in the city.

From the second we walked in, I had a bad feeling. Even our taxi driver had a comment as we pulled up: "Doesn't look quite like the pictures, does it?" Yikes.

The woman working the front desk was curt, at best. She answered the questions we had about the surrounding area (nearby coffee? gyros?) with snippy, uninformative answers, and quickly pushed us off to our room.

This cannot be overstated: the rooms are deplorable. I would not walk on the carpet without shoes. There were stains everywhere, all over the carpet, on the lamp shades, and on the curtains. The bed was two twin beds pushed together. (I understand this isn't unusual in Europe, but when we booked we asked for a regular double bed, which they claimed to have.) Imagine an old, tired dorm room. This was worse.

Now for the main reason to stay away...
I had booked this hotel through Booking.com and called them immediately to tell them this room was not sufficient, and that we desired to change hotels. They in turn had to contact the hotel. They asked that we go down and ask for a different room, and we happily did so. The second room they showed us was EXACTLY the same as the first. Stained, dingy, dirty. After about three phone calls, we were informed by Booking.com that the manager at Hotel Ilissos would not grant our request for a refund/cancellation because we "didn't come down and speak with him before calling Booking.com." What? Booking.com seemed as confused as we were!

We went down to the front desk again, and asked for the manager, George. He took his time coming to meet us, which was annoying considering he was obviously aware of the issue. I very calmly explained that we weren't happy with the accommodation - that we wished him the best, but could not stay in the room. He just kept stating over and over that we should have come to him first. I explained it was my impression that if I booked through a third party, that the third party was in charge of our reservation. He then INSULTED us by saying that many people have paid 1,000 (yep, you read that right) euros to stay in this hotel, so he didn't understand how we could be complaining when we were only paying $90 a night. Ha!

I wonder then - if he is indeed making "1,000 euro" on other guests - why he wouldn't refund our "measly" $180. He obviously had a severe ego problem, and I honestly don't know how a hotel continues to run with management like this.

To be fair, we did NOT see the rooftop or eat breakfast... for obvious reasons. I cannot comment on the quality (or possible lack thereof) on those things.

In the end, we demanded a refund and called our credit card company to ensure it happened. We left, and went over to the Devani Ceravel for an extra $50 per night. It was a complete DREAM: in the perfect area of Athens, with amazing staff and facilities. Look it up! :)

This ridiculous experience wasted about 4 hours of our day in Athens. It was so unfortunate and tiring. I typically only feel compelled to write reviews for restaurants and hotels that I love, but this bad experience takes the cake. Athens is a beautiful city with fantastic people.

Don't make this mistake and spoil your trip.

Room tip: Dirty rooms, deplorable management
5  Thank Bridget C
Reviewed September 12, 2015

Stayed at the Ilissos Hotel from 30/08/15 to 06/09/15 for seven nights at half board for £945.00 all flights included.
The Ilissos is a seven floor business class hotel, fully renovated throughout in 2004, its proximity is close to the centre of Athens, with views to the Acropolis at the rear.
We stayed in room 303 with views to the front and its busy traffic, when originally booking, I had asked if we could have a room with a view to the Acropolis, however these rooms are subject to availability.
Our room was of a modern design in furniture and surroundings, with bath, toilet, shower, and washbasin facilities, free wi-fi, room service telephone, mini-bar, TV, digital safe, and most importantly of all, full air-conditioning, entry and exit into the room is by means of a swipe card, towels are changed daily, bed linen tree times a week.
Our outbound flight was delayed through a problem with the rear toilet, and the overbooking of four passengers, on arrival at Athens airport, we were quickly processed through passport control, etc, and ushered outside, where the 'heat' and a stream of yellow Taxis, were there to greet us, and the other passengers, the journey to the Hotel was around 40 minutes, we had been told that there was a set price for the fare; 38 euros, however I believe this has now changed to 42 euros.
At previous hotels we had stayed at, in cases where like this one our arrival had been delayed, and an evening meal paid for, the hotel had left several rounds of sandwiches in our room, only on this occasion, after explaining to the night porter of our plight, we were greeted with the words ' the kitchen is closed', we did however manage t get a drink at the bar, then gracefully retired to our room, where I raided the mini-bar, a big mistake!
Next day was spent exploring the area, found a local shop, for everyday needs, caught up with much needed sleep.
No holiday in Athens is complete without a visit to the Acropolis, so early the following day we took a six minute walk to the Metro where we managed to board the tube, packed in it like Sardines.
A short walk followed to the Acropolis Museum where we passed through their security, it was at this point, that my wife realized her purse had been taken.
On boarding the tube carriage, standing room, the only anchorage point available or holding handles were yards apart, so I had become separated from my wife, who was opposite the entry/exit door on a circular effect holding rail, holding on with one hand clutching her bag with the other, during the journey, a thin, black suited man feigned illness moving quickly between me and the wife, a second man had spread himself with both arms and legs across the exit door, when the train started braking, the suited man positioned himself at the side of my wife where somehow he managed to dislodge the glasses on my wife's nose, I heard her say 'ouch', and the man did apologize, only this was a distraction, as the wife had now released her grip on her bag, albeit briefly, while she place her glasses back on, she did not look comfortable with the situation, and I believe it was at this time that a third person lifted the purse from the bag, the bag was of the draw string type, similar to a duffle bag, needless to say we aborted our trip that day, returned to the hotel via visiting the ATM and later the police station, a must for insurance purposes.
Despite what happened, we enjoyed our stay in Athens, we visited the Acropolis and its museum, in the end we walked it, around 35 minutes, this event had been on the wife's wish list for years, so this was a must.
We also visited three Islands in a day! Hydra, Poros, Aegina, although only limited time was available for each Island the cruise, crew, weather, and food were superb.
Other trips out included a visit to the Temple of Poseidon, a marble shrine to the sea god, situated on Cape Sounio, and of course lots of walking and exploring.
The meals at Ilissos are good, breakfast is buffet continental style, in a large dining area, everything is there, cereals, jams, porridge, sweet pastries, omlettes, sausages, fried eggs, coffee, orange, to name a few, dining room opens 0700 to 1030, evening meals are served in the spacious lounge area, between 1930 to 2100,
Best meal for us there was the Lasagna, served in a ceramic dish, with a side salad,
second best the Moussaka, again served with a side salad, all main meals come with iced water and bread, we were a little confused with some dishes as on the menu they would clearly state, 'served with roast potatoes' only to find these had been substituted for rice, also found the pork and chicken extremely dry and hard to cut, however all in all, the food was good.
Would I change anything in our room at the hotel?
Yes, the only English speaking TV channels I could find were the DW TV, a German news channel and the Star channel, I know its Greece, and I'm trying to learn Greek phrases, only a few English channels would not go amiss.
The valve on the mixer tap is difficult to pull upwards when transferring the water to the shower head, a lever type valve, or one that incorporates a hook type would make this operation so much easier.
Would I change anything about the Hotel?
Yes, I was led to believe that there was a bar in the roof garden, there is not, there are facilities there for one, only its not in operation, maybe its just for private functions, for water there are vending machines there also, only these too are not in operation, so if you need a drink it means either a trip down to the ground floor to the bar there, or room service at 15%.
Apart from the items mentioned I believe for the price we paid for the holiday, is good value, and yes we would recommend this hotel to others.
A special mention to 'Suzanne' on reception who always tried to help that little bit more, Thank you Suzanne.
Thank you for reading and Happy Holidays.

Room tip: Try and book a room with a balcony and a view to the Acropolis.
1  Thank tudortimes2014