“Fabulous find in Athens”

Pallas Athena Grecotel Boutique Hotel
Ranked #15 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Fabulous find in Athens”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is a gem of a find in a major city like Athens. The transportation was all walking distance and the graffitti rooms have a cool artistic touch. We were greeted by Stavros who went above and beyond and was not only helpful here in Athens but assisted us with local knowledge making our trip to Santorini unforgettable. Popi was also of great assistance and a pleasure to deal with.

Thank you so much.
We will be back!
FZ

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank FZ94

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tamarac, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The hotel was clean and comfortable. There was a balcony overlooking the street. The staff was nice. It was close the the Omonia metro station. We were able to walk to the sights from our hotel. The breakfast was good and many choices. It was affordable. My complaints are 1) The shower head was missing the attachment to hold it up so that made it difficult for me to wash my hair and shave. When we called the desk and they sent someone up, he just said, "yes, there is no attachment for the the shower head"...duh, we know that is why we called him...to fix it! 2) We went to Happy Hour (6-8 pm) and there were about 20 people in there. No bartender anywhere. So I asked at the desk for a bartender. He came in, made us a drink and left. When we wanted our second drink, I had to go back to the desk and ask for a bartender again. He came back, made us another drink and we told him we wanted to pay before he left again. As soon as we paid, he left again. I am thinking that if you advertise there is a Happy Hour that the there should be at least one person working in the lounge, especially during the Happy Hour and when there are so many people in there, 3) I was awakened by staff members in the middle of the night. Our room was next to a door marked "staff only". Overall, I was not impressed with this four star hotel and would not stay here again or recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had the jungle room complete with a tiger rug and sheep shaped table. The rooms are small but standard for Europe. We found the location to be fine. You can walk to the main square near the Acropolis and you have close access to the train system. This is downtown Athens so things will seem a little dirty but we found the location safe. The elevators were the smallest I've ever seen. I mean two people with two carry ons could barely fit. We found the giant stuffed monkey hanging in the entry way to be odd but there are many odd things about this hotel as you walk around. Two mini coopers made up the front desk. We only ate breakfast as it came with the room and it was typical European fare. There are way to many fun outdoor places to go to consider eating in your hotel. I'm not sure I would say this is true 4 star but it's a nice place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony S
newcastle
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We arrived early and were very pleasantly surprised that our room would be ready in 1 Hour and when we returned were given an upgrade to an excellent Room with a large balcony overlooking the main square.Ideal for pre and after dinner refreshments.The hotel is exactly as it says in the brochure,boutique and stylish and we found all the staff very friendly and efficient.Breakfast was good as was a dinner we had on our first night.
The area opposite does have some problems with druggies etc but The Police cleared them off the second night.It did not affect our stay overmuch but be aware that Athens is not the safest of cities as all the locals kept telling us.
The open top buses stops opposite the hotel so worth getting the 2 day ticket.An easy way to see the city and all the tourist musts.
Overall a very good hotel with a bit of a difference and certainly better than some of the large anonymous 5 Star International hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Arrive early and smile.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shakeyw
Cyprus
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Travelled to Athens for Bon Jovi concert in July 2011... The hotel is right at the Omonoia metro station, less than one minute walk. Next to it, is the Athens City Hall, and further 5 minutes walk down you can reach the Ermou street and the Monastiraki square... Location (physically) is excellent. What is not good, is the ''name'' of the area around the hotel... People are wandering around at Omonoia Square and usually approach you asking to give them something or I don't know... For ladies travelling alone, the location is not the best especially during the night... Moreover, at the front of the hotel there are some kiosks where you can buy mineral water and chips or snacks for good price, thus avoiding the room minibar which is quite expensive (water 4 euros, whereas from the kiosk 50cents). Rooms are in good condition with the basics and the whole space (breakfast area, lounges, hallways) is kept well airconditioned, a must for Athens in Spring and Summer months since temperature reached 41degrees in July I was there...
As for room cleanliness, not the best I have experienced. There was a stain in the washbasin for the whole 3 days we had been there and was not removed/cleaned while our stay... Breakfast is good, but wouldn't pay extra for it (18 euros) if not already included in the room rate... You can grab a snack and a good coffee at the nearby Everest coffee shop just 100 metre away... Overall for 25euros per person per night with breakfast included,it was like i was staying free!! PS:something I noticed is that outside the Baby Grand is annotaded as a 5star hotel with 5 ***** on its name over the building but I think it is indeed four! Anyway, was left dissapointed... Staff is good, quite polite and willing to help with maps and providing directions.... In the centre of Athens, within walking distance to every important place in Athens... Syntagma is only a 15 minute walk or 2 stops with metro... Obviously if I find it again so cheap I will return, but for a higher price I will opt for somewhere in Ermou street near Syntagma.

Room Tip: ask for high floor room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank piskoto
Ontinyent
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The Baby Grand is a very nice hotel located in Athens Street in Athens, next to the Town Hall, 10 minutes away from the tourist district of Monastiraki, 15 minutes from Syntagma Square, and 20 from the main entrance to the Acropolis. I consider it is quite well located, then, though in the streets around it you will find some people not to be trusted. Just avoid walking there at night. Move with the metro instead, which is 50 metres away (Omonia Station).
I must admit I felt much safer once I had crossed its main door. The rooms are well furnished, nicely decorated, and have a luxurious bath, and some a spacious balcony as well.
There is a restaurant which serves Greek food at the right price and a Moet bar full of sofas where you can relax, check your mail, etc.
I must say that I did not find the receptionists very helpful. For instance, I had my flight back in the middle of the night, and when I asked them about going to the airport by metro, he said that it closed at 12.30 p.m. (but didn't mention that the last train was leaving at 11.00 p.m., a kind of information he should know, from my point of view). He didn't know either that there are buses available every 30 minutes from Syntagma Square. The only option he could offer was the one of arranging a transfer, at the price of 55 euros.
The waiters at the restaurant were very kind, though.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mariaminsut
Nebraska
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Pleasant staff, decent rooms for price, but location is awful. Literally have pictures of junkies shooting up on the street below my room. It's not even an alley, is a major street that goes by. Would not feel comfortable alone or small group after dark at this location.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple