AVA Hotel Athens
Plaka Hotel(Athens)
$213
$182
1,789 results
All reviewshadrian's archan executive suitebottle of champagneregular suiteperfect locationsmall kitchenetteseparate bedroomwithin walking distancethe hotel staffplaka districtquiet streetmajor sitesroom was spaciousancient siteszeus templenew acropolis museumrestaurants and shops
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Agree with the other reviews, this hotel tries hard and it shows again and again. Highly recommended, amongst the very best we have tried. The service is absolutely first class all round, nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with soft beds, good furniture, good bed lights (yes a place where you can actually read in bed), and high-powered free wifi. The location is excellent and the street quiet, with glazing when bikes pass or when school excursion groups pass on their way to the Acropolis.

On the food front they offer a high standard breakfast complete with oranges you can juice yourself, although the coffee seems to be the brown water nescafe-style stuff you get in the US or UK. Our rooms (we stayed twice) had a small kitchenette with basic but adequate facilities and tools - although they did not appear to get used much. We would have preferred a bit more equipment, which I suppose we could have requested, but that is a very minor niggle that underlines just how complete a package it is that you get here really.

Absolute 120% perfection would be if there was a facility for doing your own laundry (other than the normal but expensive by-the-piece external service), but this kind of "apart-hotel" does not seem to exist in Greece or Turkey - or at least we never found it - which is a pity for people like us who come to Europe from far away and tend to stay for long periods once we get there. Again a minor point.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2010

In March rwo friends joined me for four days in Athens. We chose the AVA on the basis of tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. The staff was so pleasant and helpful-George in particular. The room was large and perfect for 3. Very clean. Full kitchen . Large screen, wall mounted TV with DVD player. Location superb, in Plaka ; walking distance easy to Acropolis, Parliment, shopping. Easy internet access in lobby, which became critical with the British airline strike. Perfect.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Anyone looking to stay in Athens, book the AVA Hotel and Apartment. We stayed here 2 nights. This place was great. Large rooms, great staff (Olga is wonderful), kitchen in room and the hotel was remodeled. The bed is fantastic and they have a flat screen TV with DVD and free internet in the room and a private patio. When we arrived they brough us a bottle of Champagne as a welcome gift.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2010

After reading the raving reviews, I arrived a bit skeptical. How good could a hotel really be? Well, let me say it this way: I wish I had more business in Athens, or I wish AVA would open up hotels in other European cities, because this is my favorite place to be.
My room was larger than my apartment in Paris and equally well equipped with wifi, a desk, flatscreen TV and kitchen. Athens is a place to go out, but it’s a relief to know that you don’t have to, that you can stuff up the fridge and stay in when you’re tired. Especially when you are staying longer than just a few nights.
The staff was very well informed and friendly – with restaurants recommendations, phone calls on my behalf etc. It’s not always easy, not speaking the language, so it’s great to have people there to help you out. Like free assistants of some sort. They really want to be on the top of their game and they are.
The design of the place is classic, I assume it caters to Americans or to slightly older travelers, and is seems it has all been redone recently. Quite a homey feeling.
Something negative? I read that the street’s noisy, but my room had triple glazed windows, so I never heard a thing. So no, nothing negative. I’ll be back there again without doubt.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Lemaire99
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here for a couple of days. I have been to 17 countries and this is yet the best hotel with a perfect location I have stayed at in Europe.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family