“Place to be”

Melissinos Art -The Poet Sandal Maker
Ranked #7 of 194 Shopping in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: "The Poet Sandal-maker of Athens". A shop that remains a place for poetry, art and custom made sandals. Among its clients: some of the biggest names in art and show-biz including The Beatles, Jackie Onassis, Barbara Streisand, Rudolph Nureyev, Sophia Loren. Now in a new location at: 2. Aghias Theklas St, Monastiraki - Psirri where Stavros Melissinos keeps creating his wonderful sandals and poetry with his artist son Pantelis.
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I went there today with two friends. There were a lot of people, but we were helped immediately. We were handed out a paper with the options. We could try several models (the guy knees our sizes just by looking at our feet!) and they were customized as soon as we made a choice. All together it took half an hour. Very good service and fair prices (30 euros for the models we chose)!

1  Thank Sophia C

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'm a fan of souvenirs that do more than sit on a shelf or desk, so these sandals were right up my alley! I was luckily staying just a few minutes away and walked a little bit after lunch. I was expecting a crowd, but when I walked in it was just the Poet Sandal Maker himself playing piano! His son immediately helped me pick out a pair of sandals and let me try on a few different styles. After picking one, he fit the straps to my feet and in a few minutes I had my brand new custom-fitted sandals ready. The cost was only 30 euro too, less than what I had seen online so double bonus. The sandals look great, a little stiff at first but just need to be broken in like all sandals. A wonderful souvenir from Greece, would definitely recommend going here instead of the other sandal shops in town!

1  Thank Melanie271
Reviewed July 9, 2014

OK, you are in Athens so you need to have sandals. Yes you can go to any shop, and they are plenty, and you will have a good quality leather sandals. Or you can go to see Pantelis Melissinos and have your sandals fitted to your feet (no matter their shape) and for the same price. His models are originals, you won't find them anywhere else.
when you enter the workshop, you are given a booklet with the models available. shoes the one you want and your shoe size (careful it might be different to your normal size, Greece has different numbers for sizes). Try your sandals and then whilst you have still the sandals on, your measurements will be taken they will be fitted to your feet directly in the shop. Don't worry if it's a bit tight, the leather will stretch.

3  Thank David L
Reviewed July 8, 2014

The friendly and helpful staff welcomed me in promptly. I was handed a style book to choose sandals for myself and my wife. At €35 a piece for handcrafted leather sandals, the price is fair. It is cash only, just a heads up.

2  Thank Drew W
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

If you want genuine leather hand made "on the spot" Sandals and, you have great patience and no sense of smell, it is worth the walk and the wait !!!

We were a big group and waiting for everybody to fit and try took the best of us, just know to arrive as early as possible and be aware you will wait at least an hour.... if not more !
Hopefully the enjoyment of your wonderful leather Sandals will be worth it !!!

2  Thank erastis