“Leather sandals”

Melissinos Art -The Poet Sandal Maker
Ranked #6 of 187 Shopping in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: "The Poet Sandal-maker of Athens". A shop that remains a place for poetry, art and custom made sandals. Among its clients: some of the biggest names in art and show-biz including The Beatles, Jackie Onassis, Barbara Streisand, Rudolph Nureyev, Sophia Loren. Now in a new location at: 2. Aghias Theklas St, Monastiraki - Psirri where Stavros Melissinos keeps creating his wonderful sandals and poetry with his artist son Pantelis.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

tucked in a small street, it might be hard to find but it's well worth it! some might say the variety of models is limited but there is no need for more models, you are sure to find sandals here with a good price!

1  Thank travellingkiiku

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Although I am from Athens, I have bought several pairs of sandals from Melissinos. Now the shop is run by his son, Pandelis, who is a true angel! The quality of the sandals is just astonishing. I have been wearing them for years. I rarely buy souvenirs from the places I go, but if I was a traveller in Athens I would surely want somebosy to inform me about the existence of this place. The prices range from 13 to 27 euros.

1  Thank Agricultura1990
Reviewed September 23, 2013

And I totally agree. We are just finishing up our three week trip to Greece and stopped here today. It has been a really fun experience. I thought I would buy one pair of sandals but instead we bought four pair between the two of us. We think the quality is very good and the prices are better than every other place we have visited (o.k., mostly tourist places). The selections are somewhat limited but there have to be 25 - 30 different styles and it seems they are all at 30 euros. The "poet" owner and son seem to run the shop and their little white dog is ultra cute. Be prepared to spend some time here as it can get busy. My guess is that you should get here early or late to miss the rush.
I would tell my friends that this is a must visit. We loved it and hopefully you will as well.

1  Thank LostWanderluster
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Everything people write about this shop is true. The father and sone are friendly and helpful. There are 28 designs of standard leather sandals and they cost EUR 30. Couple of extra things: if you have time you can ask for different design and different color of leather (gold or silver). It takes extra time and cost EUR 50, but they are beautiful. And another thing-we were there in the end of September and we we're win and out in 15 minutes.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place. Owner cares, won't sell you something if it won't be good for you. They DID move from TA information 10 years ago. Owner says he notified tripadvisor. So don't give shop a bad review for TA's lack of update. My daughter got sandals there and she is entirely pleased. Wouldn't hesitate to go back. Prices very fair 30? to 35?. Small shop with unusual art work. They are on Agias Theklas just off Ermou.

1  Thank gary-the-dad