“They moved...10 years ago” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melissinos Art -The Poet Sandal Maker

Melissinos Art -The Poet Sandal Maker
Ranked #5 of 181 Shopping in Athens
More attraction details
Owner description: "The Poet Sandal-maker of Athens". A shop that remains a place for poetry, art and custom made sandals. Among its clients: some of the biggest names in art and show-biz including The Beatles, Jackie Onassis, Barbara Streisand, Rudolph Nureyev, Sophia Loren. Now in a new location at: 2. Aghias Theklas St, Monastiraki - Psirri where Stavros Melissinos keeps creating his wonderful sandals and poetry with his artist son Pantelis.
california
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“They moved...10 years ago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Great place. Owner cares, won't sell you something if it won't be good for you. They DID move from TA information 10 years ago. Owner says he notified tripadvisor. So don't give shop a bad review for TA's lack of update. My daughter got sandals there and she is entirely pleased. Wouldn't hesitate to go back. Prices very fair 30? to 35?. Small shop with unusual art work. They are on Agias Theklas just off Ermou.

1 Thank gary-the-dad

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great experience, fantastic sandals!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was just an awesome experience all-around. The shop was full with a mix of Greeks and international tourists, and even though the few chairs were occupied the staff were very attentive and efficient. You have the option of trying on as many pairs as you like (which they'll adjust to fit properly), before they make the permanent finishing adjustments on your final pair(s). The quality of the sandals is really excellent, the price can't be beat (I paid 30 Euro for mine) for the product, and the ambiance in the place itself is funky and charming. Definitely stop by!

Visited July 2013
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best souvenir”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read about the poet sandals in Rick Steve's book and I just had to visit the store. It is just off Monastiraki Square. I chose the style and Pantelis'(son of the poet, Stavros) asst. fitted it on my feet including the tightness of the straps. I also asked him to build up the heel of the left sandal because my left leg is very slightly shorter than the right. It was not busy so we talked with Pantelis all this time. Well, the sandals are so comfortable, my back pain (due in part to the leg difference) was barely noticeable and I wore the sandals at least 20 days of our 30 day vacation. I liked the sandals so much that after a couple of days, I went back and bought another style. Best and very useful souvenir!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Sarey2001
Larnaca, Cyprus
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Fast custom shoe-maker”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We visited this shop in June 2011. Its not far from Syntagma Square. The shop is tiny but crammed with shoes and parts of shoes ...hanging from the ceiling, crammed on shelves and even piled on the floor. Goodness knows how they find anything!

Without any pressure and in less than an hour, I had chosen the shoe I wanted, had my feet measured and watched him make my sandals.... and they fitted better than many pairs of off-the-shelf sandals that I have bought in the past. He even coped with odd sized feet!

A must-see for Athens, even if you don't buy.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Babs M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“What a service...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

When my wife saw that shop on Tripadvisor she wanted to visit it like mad!! Well we had a walk in Monastiraki and we found the shop very easy. Stavros is a very gentle and smiley man! He welcomed us to his shop and made us feel like we walked into a friend's home. He makes masterpieces of sandals and they are custom made for your feet... My wife took 2 pair of them. I admit that they are the most beautiful sandals she ever took!! Worth the visit!

Visited June 2013