Melissinos Art -The Poet Sandal Maker
Open today: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing experience. Very friendly and down to earth.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Chris G
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
via mobile
One of my positive Athens experiences.

Reviewed October 5, 2018
ak2271

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Athens
from $43.80
More Info
from $46.10
More Info
All reviews custom fit leather sandals greek sandals great sandals fun experience sophia loren comfortable sandals monastiraki square olive oil visit athens acropolis museum shop strap shoes souvenir beatles measurements
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Tracked rbis place down with my wife earlier today and had a lovely experience. All of the staff were friendly and they made sure my wife and I were happy with everything before they proceeded. The sandals range from about €40-50. They custom fit each sandal and once we returned an hour later to an amazing pair of sandals (they had to add the finishing touches). Well worth checking out.

1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed October 5, 2018

My initial encounter with Athens started off very negatively, after a horrible experience on the metro less than one hour after landing, when we were robbed of money.
I planned to buy sandals from here as I planned my trip from Australia. The shop was busy, but I got two pairs of sandals and I am happy with the result. The process was straightforward, pricing was quoted accurately and I can't complain.
Visiting the ancient sites and getting my sandals made are the two positive experiences I had in Athens over 4 days, which were originally meant to be 5 days, but I cut the trip short as I was put off by many things I saw (apathetic tourist police and police in general) and experienced in Plaka, Monastiraki and,the metro.

Visiting this store and seeing the level of work put in to produce sandals on demand of tourists, reminded me that there are Athenians who are decent. Unfortunately, I don't think I will visit Athens again in the near future and that's largely due to the inept way the current government runs the country.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

This is a must visit for anyone in Athens, had wonderful custom sandals made for us to pick up later the same day, they fit like a glove!

1  Thank Carol F
Reviewed September 24, 2018

Getting custom fit for sandals is a very laid back experience here. When you walk in, someone will hand you the brochure that lists the different styles. Someone will eventually ask you which ones you want to try, then bring them out. After an initial try, you decide what you like, pay for it, then relax while someone in the back finishes the customization. They'll do one final fit afterwards to make sure it's right. There's not a ton of communication through the process, but they have it handled and always remembered which sandal they were working on for which customer. A calm sweet dog walks around keeping things chill while customers pleasantly chat with each other. Expect to spend a little time and not be in a hurry. It's rainy and cold back home so I unfortunately can't wear my sandals now and comment on the quality. But I like them and look forward to wearing them later.

1  Thank LogicalLotus
Reviewed September 11, 2018

This was my number one goal besides the Acropolis. One person was really "helping" but he gave no communication about the process. While we (4) of us were all in different stages of the customization process he would start up with other people. So frustrating. 10 minutes was 30, no known next step. Seemed chaotic for our taste. We were in there for over an hour and I think others came and went in the process. Felt overlooked for sure. Fairly disappointed. I haven't worn the sandals yet so I cant say about those. I wanted to get two pairs but gave up on the second as I was waiting-we just couldn't spend more time in there.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

I first read about this shop a while back and when my boyfriend and I decided to come to Athens it was on my MUST DO list. If there was only one place I visited during my stay it had to be this store.

We knew we wanted 4 pair made, and after reading the reviews we made it one of the first stops on the trip to ensure that the shop could fulfill the order before we left. When we got there just after lunch on Friday, there was a short wait but we were greeted with smiles and given the catalog from which to choose. After trying on a couple of styles I selected the Jackie O and my boyfriend selected Socrates. The sole was quickly measured and we were instructed to come back the following day for final fitting and assembly. (I am sure they could have fulfilled the order in the same day, but no sense in making them rush if we had the time to return).

On Saturday we came back and the shop was quite busy! It made me thankful that we had the forethought to go the day before. After a short while and chatting with the others in the shop, we were fitted and on our way with my sandals, his sandals, and 2 additional pairs for family back home.

You cannot beat the experience, quality, value, or welcoming nature provided at this shop! I can’t wait to visit on my next trip to Athens.

Don’t let the wait or amount if people deter you, it’s well worth it and makes for a great story back at home!!

Thank you!!!

Reviewed September 2, 2018

This was a cool stop on our Athens trip. Sandals are customized to your feet, $40-$50; ready in 15-minutes; you can customize colors and such, just takes additional time, sometimes next day. Can get a little overwhelming in there, as it's very small, lots of people and everyone isn't exactly sure how the place works. But, this was a cool experience being in this famous sandal joint...my wife bought one pair to bring home. They accept credit cards and cash. The guys working in there are amazing workers---working their butts off, with no air conditioning.

For a detailed review of my entire trip to Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos and Athens, please read here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k11914165-My_info_on_Santorini_Naxos_Mykonos_Athens_Greece-Greece.html

Reviewed August 28, 2018

This was a fun stop. They fitted us for sandals and we waited while they finished making them. Took an hour total and the sandals were able to be worn that day!

Reviewed August 25, 2018

Well, we liked it. We were fit as we sat and listened to melodies on an electric piano. Eclectic! My wife chose a pair of sandals with a special adoonment and they had it ready in a couple of hours. Great service and lots of fun. Custom alterations were added to mine as well. Unique experience and our next visit in Athens will include another pair. Go for it, you might not get another chance and why regret it if you don't!

2  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed August 18, 2018

Forget all the pictures of politicians and celebrities. Take it from me, an average guy. Every time I am in Athens, I stop by the shop to buy more sandals. On this trip I bought my sixth and seventh pair. Wonderful shoes, friendly and welcoming and attentive staff. A small shop vac gets crowded easily, but that doesn’t take away from the experience of getting handcrafted shoes made just for you. I did not make any special order this time. And after the fitting, the sandals were ready to pick up in an hour, time that I spent in the market across the street having lunch. I paid €80 for two pair!