“Athens Mistake?”
Review of Melia Athens

Melia Athens
Ranked #33 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

So I am back home from a wonderful trip ... After visiting , Israel, Germany, and Greece. This was my first time( and probably ever) staying at this Melia, it was a mixed feelings. Arriving to the Hotel , the desk staff was apprehensive , and very argumentative ,and after walking all day in the Parthenon , it was the last thing we wanted. The manager on site was rude , snippy , and very aggressive. There was confusion with the room and were forced to pay an upgrade fee and forced to boom an additional room( that was smaller than my living room #117) . In my room, the upgrade... Deluxe suite #106 , the shower would flood so you had to stand in DIRTY water, Television did not work, we only found enough towels and robes for 2, even though we paid the mandatory upgrade for the 3rd person to stay, the electric towel heater did not work, the sofa bed mattress was basically "cardboard like"( I've slept on inflatable mattresses that were better ) , and room smelled like smoke with febreeze ( even though we requested non smoking due to allergies ) and finally the included breakfast was almost charged , again as we were told the breakfast was not included - at the table During our breakfast( even though all 5 of us in our party witnessed the requested for "include breakfast , for the fee" during our confrontation with the mGr. When called to ask the front desk about the mini bar , the mgr Rudely answered my question and hung up... Assuming since its a deluxe suite , and like at other suites in other hotels these items were always included ,something made me want to confirm as I doubted... I was told "SIR THERE IS A FEE, I AM BUSY I MUST HELP A GUEST" (hang up) before i could respond , i imagined as he first said fee, that the manager would say we"ll waive it since we gave you a hard time ... (Not) lastly the pool was closed and the beautiful lounge with beautiful Parthenon pictures, like advertised , were closed (Seasonal) . In fact the entire patio was closed ! So no. I could not walk out to the patio and take the picture I planned to take , my version of the Parthenon lights , the hotel keeps showing me on the website... In the end I will be back in Greece ... But Next time will stay in the to the Crowne Plaza, best western , or even the down the street , the Titania hotel (which is closer located to Plaka and other tourist spots ) not this Melia ... It was a shame as I am familiar with Melia in other countries and have never been disappointed like this , not even in a budget Motel 6 in my country since I received what I expected, i did not here and this Manager made it worst. :) with Love , Disappointed Traveler..

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Ayden L
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Ayden L,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens, and also for getting the time to upload your comment. I was really sad and at the same time surprised to read about your experiences at Melia Athens.

Please note that all our members are well trained and always try to do their best in order to achieve the highest level of service possible. Even when an incident takes place, or if we ever receive a complaint, we always take all necessary actions to correct it and provide a pleasant and unforgettable stay least for the remaining of our guests stay.

However, kindly please be informed that the upgrades are not mandatory and no one can force a guest to have an upgrade. I assume that what my colleague tried to do, is to make a suggestion in order to have a more comfortable stay.

Moreover, regarding the roof top garden; I agree that it would have been nice to operate during the whole year, however this can not be achieved due to bad weather conditions.

No matter what, I will make sure to forward all your comments to the relevant departments.

For once more I would like to thank you for choosing Melia Athens, and I hope that you will give a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Melia athens is a very good property, located centrally. Its just about 20-25 mins walk from acropolis center. Apart from that there are many nice restaurants within 10 mins walk - so great location. The rooms are not the biggest, but extremely comfortable beds and clean rooms & bathrooms. No complaints at all with the service. For the price we got, it was probably the best deal available.

Room Tip: Ask for wifi in rooms, its separate.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shashaank S

Dear ssstraveller,

Thank you for choosing Melia for your recent stay in Athens. We are pleased to read that you were satisfied with our services and / or location and that you enjoyed staying with us.

We hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel Melia was very modern and quiet. The nightly rate was very reasonable. The location was excellent and within walking distance to the Acropolis as well as shopping and eating areas. There was graffiti in the neighborhood but this was true for the entire city of Athens. I was very disappointed that the rooftop was closed. Also, the business center had 1 computer for guest usage and the charge was 8euros per hour. There was Wi-Fi provided in the lobby area for guests. The hotel staff was friendly and the maids did a good job keeping the room clean and stocked. My room had a Jacuzzi shower / tub combo.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor facing the street. With the window open, there was some street noise but w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
meliaathens, Guest Experience at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Renee B,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us and also for choosing Melia Athens.

Kindly, please note that I will pass your nice comments to the relevant departments.

We do hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I and my wife stayed in this hotel during June, the hotel is well located in the central city however the rooms in the hotel was very small, i am not sure are all the hotels in greece like that, but this room was very small. The breakfast did not have much variety, however their resuarant on the roof top is an excellent place to be in the evening time with excellent views over the city. To me this hotel can improve further so for me it is a 6 out of 10.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adnan1984
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear adnan1984,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens, for your stay in the capital of Greece.

We do appreciate your comments regarding the variety of the breakfast. Please note that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments in order to be reviewed.
We would also like to thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Sky lounge bar.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again sometime in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We've ordered Executive Suite for our 5 day stay since it was important that our baby will sleep in the separate area because she's sensitive to noise. We've been surprised that in the wall between bed room to living area was open hole around build-in TV (the device with rotating base used for two sides). We've asked to change the room, but the reception has informed us that no other available suites and has suggested to bring technician to fix the problem. The technician inserted in the hole around TV some rubber material in an attempt to seal it. The situation has been improved, but the noise from bed room was not completely reduced. In an addition, two wood panels used as doors between bed room and living area weren't closed properly.
Good points of this suite was its nice design, jaccuzi and comfortable king size bed.
Reception and room service were very kind and helpful. Housekeeping was as good as expected from "strong" 4 or 5 stars level hotels.
Hotel has a good location near Omonia Sq. about 5 min. by walk with metro station (there's the train from the airport), big local department stores, international chain stores, fast food etc'. On the way from the hotel to Omonia Sq. you can find a couple of bakery shops (with sandwiches etc') and good smelling coffee and sweeties shops and good supermarket with reasonable prices. The area is kind of downtown, but we felt pretty safe during the day and evening and our advise not to ask or to accept help from strangers in the streets.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Cats_Travelers,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens for your recent stay in the capital of Greece.

We hope that you have enjoyed staying with us and that we will soon get a chance to welcome you back in our premises.

We would also like to thank you for your nice comment and also for the time spend posting your feedback.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here June 2012 with my partener for 3 nights. It was easy to find with the directions. Good location. Nice walk to all major attractions. near by resterauunts were very nice. the view from the rooftop pool was amazing! The bar staff were very friendly and great banter. The decking area is spotless and a great place to lounge about. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear LozWhittz ,

Thank you for choosing Melia for your stay in Athens.

It is always our pleasure to read that our customers had a great experience while staying with us.

For once more we would like to thank for choosing us and also for your positive feedback.

Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and overall was a very good one. A Melia is a guarantee of good hotels but some issues could have made it a better stay.
Location: 3 blocks away from Omonia station which i have to say, is not a nice place but it seemed safe during the day and evening. Perfect for coming and going to the airport by train which is a third cheaper than a cab.
Room: a big room with a nice bed and spacious bathroom. The tv was null but we didn't care but the wifi was terrible and almost non existing inside the room. We had to go to the elevator room or the lobby to get some wifi, a major issue for us.
Breakfast: various things but not worth €18 per person per day, a rip-off I would say.
The price was very cheap, only €99 a night with breakfast so really a €63 room. Kudos to the staff who gave us directions and help every time we needed it.
I would only come again if I don't find a hotel closer to a nicer place like Plaka, but for the price of €99 is a steal!!

• Stayed: March 2013
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Nicolas M,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens for your recent stay at the capital of Greece.
I am pleased to read that your overall experience at Melia Athens was a positive one. I will make sure to pass all your comments to my colleagues.
The comments as well as the observations of our guests are really important to us, as we count on those in order to improve our services. Kindly, please note that the breakfast choices provided are based upon our guests’ comments and therefore, on a frequent basis we review their comments and make any amendments as necessary. Every morning we serve an American buffet style breakfast, created to meet all our customer demands. Moreover, to my surprise I read that you had some difficulties with the internet connection provided inside the rooms. Usually, our guests have no problems with the internet connectivity, however if this happens they always inform us and our technical support solves any issues that may arise. If only, we knew about the issue, we would have immediately solved it.
For once more, I would like to thank you for visiting Melia Athens, and I am looking forward to welcome you back again in our premises.