“Perfect for a stay in Athens but some drawbacks” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Athens

Melia Athens
Ranked #33 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Perfect for a stay in Athens but some drawbacks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and overall was a very good one. A Melia is a guarantee of good hotels but some issues could have made it a better stay.
Location: 3 blocks away from Omonia station which i have to say, is not a nice place but it seemed safe during the day and evening. Perfect for coming and going to the airport by train which is a third cheaper than a cab.
Room: a big room with a nice bed and spacious bathroom. The tv was null but we didn't care but the wifi was terrible and almost non existing inside the room. We had to go to the elevator room or the lobby to get some wifi, a major issue for us.
Breakfast: various things but not worth €18 per person per day, a rip-off I would say.
The price was very cheap, only €99 a night with breakfast so really a €63 room. Kudos to the staff who gave us directions and help every time we needed it.
I would only come again if I don't find a hotel closer to a nicer place like Plaka, but for the price of €99 is a steal!!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Nicolas M,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens for your recent stay at the capital of Greece.
I am pleased to read that your overall experience at Melia Athens was a positive one. I will make sure to pass all your comments to my colleagues.
The comments as well as the observations of our guests are really important to us, as we count on those in order to improve our services. Kindly, please note that the breakfast choices provided are based upon our guests’ comments and therefore, on a frequent basis we review their comments and make any amendments as necessary. Every morning we serve an American buffet style breakfast, created to meet all our customer demands. Moreover, to my surprise I read that you had some difficulties with the internet connection provided inside the rooms. Usually, our guests have no problems with the internet connectivity, however if this happens they always inform us and our technical support solves any issues that may arise. If only, we knew about the issue, we would have immediately solved it.
For once more, I would like to thank you for visiting Melia Athens, and I am looking forward to welcome you back again in our premises.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Me and my bf stayed in Melia Athens last September. We booked it because there was a promotion (stay 3 nights, pay for 2 nights) and we didn't expect it too be so good!

The roof bar has an amazing view and a pool. The rooms are clean and classy, the bathroom has a jacuzzi. I would definitely recommend it to friends! Also, the location is close to the city centre and metro station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Veronika S
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Veronika S,

Thank you for choosing Melia for your stay in Athens. We are pleased to read all our customers positive comments.

We hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in our premises this year.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, great service.

Rooms are lovely, roomy and modern. Worth upgrading to get jacuzzi bath.

Whole hotel sparkles, totally spotless.

Good central location, area outside hotel looking a bit tired but hotel is kept very well maintained.

Would return for sure.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jonathan S
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Jonathan S,

Thank you for choosing Melia for your recent stay in Athens.

It is always our pleasure to read that are customers were able to make the most of their stay and that they enjoyed our facilities.

We do hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Gloucester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have been staying in Athens regularly over the past four years on business, starting off with the Hilton, then moving to the Intercontinental, and now I have moved to a smaller company and looking to keep the costs down, I tried the Melia. It was half the price of the other hotels I mentioned.
But I don't feel at all like I am staying somewhere just because it is cheap. In fact, the room is nicer than the intercontinental - ever the recently rennovated ones. The rooms at the Melia are smaller, but they are normal hotel room size, which is fine. Stylishly decorated and modern, which you can say about the decor throughout the hotel. The hotel is generally a bit small - no huge lobby, etc. but how much does that really matter?
Before booking this hotel I read reviews which mentioned the location was not good. The streets close by, on the opposite side of the hotel from the city centre, do have a problem with drug addicts and 'ladies' late at night. But these streets are not somewhere you need to go, and why you would want to walk there at night I don't know. So I did not have a problem with the location and indeed felt very safe walking around. The location I found was actually very good - much closer to the shops, Acropolis, etc than where I used to stay. And literally 3 minutes walk from Omonia metro station. The metro service to the airport is so good, and so much cheaper than getting a taxi, that when I check out today I am going to take the metro to the airport and not the taxi.
I can't say too much about the catering at the hotel, I've only had breakfast here. Generally it was pretty good and the service was efficient and friendly. Only downside is that there is no fresh fruit, and the yogurts are plain ones, no pots of fruit yogurt. Only a minor gripe, but I'm sure it is something they could easily fix. Otherwise there is a good variety, and the breakfast room is not busy, just somewhere pleasant to have a morning coffee as you wake up to the world.
The hotel has a gym, which is small. A lot of the gym area is taken up with other facilities - it has a sauna and steam room, along with an area to sit, but the gym itself is a bit crammed. You can go on the running machine and have a view of the Acropolis, and there is just about enough equipment to have a reasonable workout. Could do with some heavier weights, but if you are just into cardio you will be satisfied - apart fromt he cross trainer doesn't work properly at the moment.
One other plus side, as I had a Melia loyalty card, in room internet was free. No this is a big bonus as at the other hotels I stayed in I had to pay over 20 euros/day for internet.
The Melia Athens is not the grandest, most luxurious hotel you could stay at, but it is a good hotel in a good location with all the facilities you need, and the rooms are nice. I didn't even mention yet that I went for the better room and my bathroom has a jacuzzi and a funky shower.For the price, I will definitely be returning. Really you feel like you have got yourself a bargain if you are staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Keef74
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Keef74,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens and also for your positive feedback regarding the hotel's services, facilities and location.

We are very pleased to read that your experience at Melia Athens, was a positive one and we do hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I have just spent 3 nights in the Melia Athens and it was a fantastic hotel, the staff went out of there way to be friendly and helpful they seemed to go out of there way to be of assistance rather than just because it was there job , we ate twice in the Mondo Cafe off of the reception area, the food on both occasions was very tasty, the chocolate soufflé was exceptional, the only down side was trying to find the hotel which is about a 5 mins walk from the metro station it took us nearly an hour to find!! It was just a shame we went out if season so the pool and pool restaurant weren't open. We would stay at the Melia again if we come back to Athens.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Becks1711
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Becks1711,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding Melia Athens. I have already passed your nice comments to my colleagues. Please accept our apologize for not being able to offer you our pool facilities.

Hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in our premises.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed there few months ago, everything was perfect from the start till the end, really nice with on the top floor and great location ( close to the tube station) and also museum, few station from the Acropolis. Staff are really friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Akeem A,

Thank you for choosing Melia Athens . We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed the services and facilities provided.

We hope to get a chance to welcome you back again in our premises.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was a great value for the money paid. The staff members were perfect. They were able to make good recommendations, were very helpful, and very friendly. The hotel is located close to the Omonia metro station and close a hop on/hop off bus stop. The room was clean and the bathroom was clean. Due to the time of the year I travelled (February), not all the amenities and restaurants were open and available. The one con that I saw was when I was in the room, not a lot of English channels were available. Also, when I arrived the public transportation system was on strike. So, it took me a little while to get to the hotel (not the hotel's fault). Overall, I was pleased with my stay here and would recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
meliaathens, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Athens, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear DBrown84,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel.

Looking forward to welcome you back in our premises.