“Ok. Good location but loud!”
Review of Pella-Inn Hotel

Pella-Inn Hotel
Ranked #14 of 70 Athens B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Ok. Good location but loud!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked a room with an en suite bathroom for one night at this hostel. Overall the hostel was ok and we thought it was good value for money. We weren't expecting any luxury, just a decent room to stay in. The room was actually quite nice but the bathroom was only ok- it was very dark and it could have been cleaner- there was mould on the wall covered by a newspaper. The rooftop bar was closed which was a massive disappointment as it was one of the hotels main selling points. The worst thing however was the noise coming from the street. Our room was facing a relatively busy street and the Acropolis and you could hear the sound of cars passing by. Even worse, there was a party or bar (don't even know what it was exactly) downstairs with loud music, loud singing and shouting and it made it impossible to sleep. We had an exhausting day ahead of us so wanted to turn in early and it was an absolute nightmare. I don't know what time the singing and yelling stopped but I finally fell asleep from exhaustion at 2am, after trying to go to sleep for nearly 5 hours! On the plus side the location is very good, within walking distance to all the sites and very close to the Metro from the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Anna Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed in Pella Inn from September 16th till 23rd September and I was very satisfied with the hostel. I had seen some reviews complaining that you have to bring your own towel, our own soap and shampoo but cmon people, this is a hostel, not hotel. I stayed in the female shared dorm wth 3 other unknown people and I had no problems. The bathroom was always clean. But I always make a mess when I shower so it's kinda my fault if someone entered there after me and will now write a review complaining that the bathrooms are always wet :( The location is very good, very near Monastiraki square, there are many places to eat, buy souvenirs, everything. You can go to Acropolis on foot too. You can do everything on foot, it is the most divine location ever. The people that work at the reception speak English very well and are always friendly and will try to help you to go to other cities or places. They always have important information to share with you. The internet is free in the internet room and if you stay in the 1st floor, you can still have internet in your room. But I stayed in the 4th floor so no Internet up there. But that's not a problem. My only suggestion would be: more power sockets! In my shared bedroom there was only one. Imagine 4 people, each one has a celphone, a camera and maybe a laptop that they want to charge. With only one power socket it can be a bit complicated. So that's my suggestion. :-)

PS: I know this is a German site but it seems that they translate the reviews into German automatically so I hope you German friends can understands me!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Beatriz M
Furth bei Landshut, Germany
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have exactly the same experience as Lammer987! I booked the private room and checked it per e-mail even before we came. However, when we came, they gave us a room, which didn´t have any balcony, shared bathroom (wouldn´t be a problem) window couldn´t be opened, everything stank (and I am used to sleep in hostels, but this was hardcore) and the air conditioning didn´t work!!! I came back to the reception, that it must have been mistake, but they told me, they are overbooked (no excuse when we came!!!) and this is the last room. As well, they said we had paid 5 euros less (wow), because we had a "slightly" worse room. The guy said he is sorry and understand us, and we will discuss it tomorrow, when his colleague comes. We said we are not gonna use the room at all (impossible to sleep inside, there was no air) and will sleep on the roof terace instead - we couldn´t check out, it was in the middle of the night. He said ok. In the morning it came. An extremely arrogant young blond girl came and was LYING, LYING, LYING to our faces, refused to give us any money back (we had to pay as we came and didn´t get the receipt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and her lying had many logical leaks, which would be funny if it wasn´t the start of our holiday. After about 3 hours of arguing she promised us, after calling her boss, that a half of the money will be returned to my account. Of course, nothing happened. We complaint at all possible places, we also went to the Athens police, who seemed to be very interested in their payment policy (no receipt, pay in advance and so on) and promised us to send there the tax control. NEVER CHOOSE THIS HOTEL, DON´T BE A FOOL! There are many cheep hotels in Athens, you can have a luxury breakfast and a great room for 50 Euro and just few steps from the centre! That was what we did on our way back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank B T

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Pella Inn was a lot better than we expected! We arrived thinking we would just stay one night and ended up staying four nights! Our room had a balcony overlooking the acropolis that was absolutely beautiful. The price was reasonable, especially for a private room. The staff was extremely friendly and super helpful. The rooftop bar was fun and convenient. Also, the free four hour walking tour in itself made staying in the hostel worth it. George, the guide, was very knowledgeable and interesting. It was a great location and I never felt unsafe. The only negative thing I would say, would be the bathrooms. They were very small, stuffy, and wet. Overall, if I went back to Greece I would DEFINITELY stay again at Pella Inn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank krr1225
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We were really excited to go to Athens and stay in this hotel as it promised on confirmation "Room with view". We arrived in the evening and got the room with the dumpster view. Other rooms had the view of the Acropolis, but we had to keep our drapes shut, as our outside was rather unpleasant. Nevertheless, the hotel has a great patio-bar up on the roof with the perfect view of the Acropolis. Good party atmosphere every night. We recommend to buy your own booze at the nearby store, however the prices at the bar were not too bad.
Each floor had plenty of bathrooms with showers. Prepare for a flood each time you shower as the faucets spray water everywhere. It's all good though, there is a handy drain in the bathroom floor. Just be careful and not slip :). Rooms and bathrooms were clean, however some walls had odd mold/leak stains in the corners. Our 2 person private room had a sink in it - convenient. No fridge or kitchen utensils :( A/C worked well, hotel smelled nice and fresh. There is a small 2 person elevator from 1st to 4th floor - helpful when carrying luggage, however you still need to go 2 flights of windy stairs to the street level.
The first night we arrived there was no warm water in the showers - I'm guessing the water gets heated on the roof of the hotel, thus it is recommended to shower during sunlight. There is a common fridge in the lobby/common room area. Wi-Fi only works in that area. No Wi-Fi in rooms.
The location is excellent. We didn't need to take metro/bus to see any of the historical attractions - walking distance to shopping, market, Acropolis and other historical ruins, museums and restaurants. Right by the flea market - ah, what a find! Don't be alarmed by Athens' dirty graffittied streets - the historical area is much cleaner!
Staff was somewhat helpful (has send us on a wild goose chase looking for a money exchange place and trying to find nightclubs), plenty of free maps provided. Unless you wish to cook for hours under the sun, I would not recommend the free walking tour offered, but rather go by yourself. You may not learn as much, but save yourself from a heatstoke and dehydration while standing for hours at the Acropolis.
Last but not least I would like to mention the very uncomfortable beds - hard as a rock with springs jamming into your body - not for side sleepers. This must be a Greek thing though, as every single hotel we stayed at had horrible beds.
I would recommend this hotel for it's location. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a view I wished for lol!

Room Tip: If you asked for a room with a view - make sure you get one. Rooms 11, 21, 31, 41 are all dumpster v...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Nedobryi_kot
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The hostel is very good gor the price, especially the lication so close to the parthenon and an incredible view.

The staff is very friendly and they help you with anything you ask.

For the price they could offer a breakfast, but it is not included.

The toillets are a little uncomfortable, but they work and they are clean, so it is not a big issue.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Matuxman
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 3 different times during our 6 week trip in Greece. The first two times were pleasant and our room with a private bathroom (room 46) was in okay condition and had a wonderful view from the balcony. However, our third stay was a different story. We arrived late in the evening and had a reservation for 2 nights in a room with a private bathroom. It wasn't until we arrived that they told us that the room would not be available for that evening, but MIGHT be available the following evening. An email or a phone call would have been appropriate, but I can live with this. She said they would shave a few euros off our bill since they would be putting us in a room that has a shared bathroom. A few euros? Wow, thanks! The big "wow" though was how much different this room was compared to the room we had on our previous two stays. I can deal without having a private bathroom, but the severe water damage and mold growing up the wall is unacceptable and it's a health hazard as well. Also, there was no balcony for this room and the view was disgusting. This is how you treat repeat guests??? But we saved a couple euros, or so we thought.....This hotel collects your money upfront upon check-in, so, since they were unsure of the final cost of our stay since they weren't sure if we would get the room we originally booked for the final night, they took my passport instead and said I would pay upon check-out. We went to the rooftop with our own beer to drink it off, but the bartender told us we could only purchase beer from the rooftop bar if we wanted to drink on the rooftop. We would have been on our own balcony one floor below enjoying our own beer and the same view if it wasn't for the hostel screwing up our reservation. They screw up our reservation, put us in a deplorable room, and then tell us we need to buy their beer to enjoy the rooftop. Seriously?

So, after the first night in a squalid room that should not even be rented out to a dog, we had to lug our heavy bags down the stairs and leave them unsecured at the reception and then re-check-in to the room we originally booked but weren't even sure if we were going to even get until we arrived back at the hostel after our day out in Athens. The room was available and the night went without incident. The morning of our departure, we spent 14 euros for the metro and headed to the airport. After a few stops, I realized that they forgot to give me back my passport. Having no other option than to jump out of the metro and catch a cab back to the hostel and then to the airport, this cost me an additional 40 euros. This is all because this hostel screwed up our reservation and held my passport because they were unsure of the final cost. In retrospect, I should have just paid the price for what it would have cost had we got the room we reserved both nights, for the few euros they shaved off the price for a night in a wretched room ended up costing me 40 euros. Definitely not staying here again. What a joke! The staff needs to get their act together and the owner needs to open his eyes and fix the place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple