“perhaps the coolest cinema this side of the galaxy”

Open Air Cinema THISION
Ranked #47 of 320 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cine THISIO is an open air cinema and therefore is not opened in winter . Each year opening date depends largely on weather conditions. Typically, the operation of the cinema begins the last week of April or the first week of May and ends in late October. We don't make ​​reservations and you can't book tickets, because we remain traditional, because the capacity of cinema is very large and because all seats are good . If you arrive about 30 minutes earlier you will buy your tickets in comfort, even in the extremely popular films.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am a regular at Cine Thissio, ever since I was old enough to go to the cinema. My grandma used to take me there in the 70s. I can not be objective since I go there at least once a month , every summer , so, I will point out some things that may spoil someno's experience.
1.Dear all , remember, it's an open air cinema and it's my right to have a smoke .
2. The queue at the ticket booth may seem long,but the staff are really fast in processing all the crowd.
3. Have in mind that once inside the very same queue will migrate at the bar. Don't waste your time fretting nad let the film begin. As soon there is a gap in the film action run inside and grab the beer , snack etc. of your choice . Do try the freshly baked cheesepies.
4.Do not bother if you had a beer too many.There is always a 10 minute interval. Use it to "download" in the WC AND reload at the bar .
5.It's a family run business and the cinema was established sometime in the 30s. Also , locals like us ( as I have already mentioned aBove) go there on a regular basis. Do not act "too touristy". (sic). Let everyone enjoy the film . Acropolis is not going anywhere.
6. I totally agree with Emmi12345 that mentions Lontos .Good prices, decent cuisine that used to be called "international" , fast service. I would also suggest the cafe-bars opposite of Lontos if you only want to drink something, along with a light snack.
7. Have in mind that senior citizens over 65 ( I do not , REPEAT DO NOT, know if it's only for Greeks) pay € 6,00 every day . I know that for children it's € 6,00 for every little one.

Enough said, I'm going to enjoy seeing "Elysium" there tomorrow Friday with a friend. Perfect for Athens at 38.C

5  Thank Ginalenna

Reviewed August 14, 2013

After a bite to eat at 'Lontos' just down the road, we caught the earlier showing of 'Mud' on a mid- August evening. Hearing it was 'the best cinema in the world', we expected it to be good, but nothing could have prepared us for how captivating it just was. We had a lovely view of the summer moon, and if you make sure to sit at the top left as you go in, you will catch a view of the Acropolis too! We thought the film was excellent, but the experience was something else. We felt it was a moment of pure bliss, sitting in the light summer breeze, relaxing, with the moon and Acropolis lights shining down on us, enjoying home-made refreshments, while we watched a projection with an old- fashioned, yet timeless, vintage feel. Very romantic. The fact we were outdoors just made us feel even more transported and involved with the film, with the plentiful green shrubbery leaving us feeling connected with nature. A must-do if you are even in Athens for only a day, as remember, it will not take up your day time as you can go after your evening meal, usually the time options are around 9 or 11 o clock in the evening. You can book tickets beforehand if you wish, refreshments are sold at plenty, with popcorn, nachos, pies, cakes and beverages, and there is an interval of around 10 minutes in the middle of the film. Magnificent.

5  Thank Emmi12345
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visited this excellent outdoor cinema a summer night of August!

The view of the lighted Acropolis and the August moon were so romantinc! Sometimes, we paid attention more on the view rather than on the film. But to be honest, the film was quite average, but still, it doesn't really matter which movie you will watch.

The homemade cherry drinks are absolutely reccomended to acompany the nice view and cinema experience!

Every Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, the price of the ticket is 6 euros, and all the other days is 8 euros. The price for students and children is always 6 euros.

The owner and his family are very polite and they work all together in this nice family business!!!

3  Thank Lalaki-Papaki
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is by far the most astonishing summer cinema you can get.
The location next to the Acropolis is magnificent, you get the sense of traveling back in time to a romantic era.
This is a family business and happily it feels like it.
Get your potato chips and a cold beer, and enjoy your movie in this historical neighborhood of Athens, under the summer moon ...

4  Thank Alex K
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Classic films, wonderful atmosphere under the Acropolis and you definitely have to try their homemade sour cherry juice and cheese pies.

3  Thank roza_rozalia