“Good last-minute or take-away choice”
Review of I Gonia

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
I Gonia
Ranked #2,988 of 3,925 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Barbecue
Athens
“Good last-minute or take-away choice”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Thursday before last was Tsiknopempti. Tsiknopempti means “Thursday with smell of BBQ” and on that day everybody eats grilled meat.

Although I'm usually planning ahead, this time too much work prevented me from doing so and when the evening came there was no plans and no reservation. Additionally to that, the weather was very bad. It was raining heavily and it was rather windy. All in all, it was time to go and eat at the first place the we met after exiting the metro station. And that's how we entered Gonia.

At first we headed to a space on the side of the restaurant where there were a few tables and it was pretty much empty. Only one table was occupied by a small group of people who proved to be unbelievably noisy. Soon, we decided to move in the main area of the restaurant which was very small and we ended up sitting quite near the grill. Still, it was far less noisy than the other area although we could still hear the loud group!!!

The selection of meats, appetizers and salads was satisfactory. We ordered grilled lambchops, lamb kebabs, sausages, oven potatoes, tzatziki, mixed salad, grilled pita bread and red wine. Everything was tasty although half of the lambchops weren't from the proper part of the lamb, the tzatziki was weak and the sausages were on the small side. The salad was very fresh but small and the kebabs were perfect. The service was a bit... confused but considering the day and time of day I can't blame them.

The prices were on the expensive size. We paid around 22 euros per person and although we ate a lot and the food was good, I would expect to pay less considering the environment and the size of the portions. On the other hand, on days with better weather where one could sit outside, it might have been better.

On the plus side, we left and weren't smelling like smoked meat, as one would expect and as it usually happens in this type of restaurants (especially since we were sitting so close to the grilling action).

To conclude, it was a mediocre experience but I would return for a quick meal or take out. In fact, I have tried their chicken-on-the-spin and stuffed veggies and were rather good. Still, the delivery/take out prices are the same with eating in which makes them quite expensive.

• Visited March 2013