“Great location but very disinterested staff”

By The Glass wine bar & bistrot
Reserve a Table
Ranked #288 of 3,068 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Syntagma
Description: By the Glass is an exquisitely designed wine bar right in the heart of Athens in one of the most beautiful old buildings. By the glass serves wine by the glass and allows you to get acquainted with every region of Greece that produces wine of great quality. Meet unique greek wine varieties and get to know the most delicate greek wine-makers. Each variety of wine finds a perfect match in food and our chef has taken care of every little tasty detail, please allow us to introduce you to the greek wines! An all day destination for lovers of both coffee and wine, since By the glass is open during the day serving delicious and artful coffee.
Reviewed June 4, 2019

Set in a beautiful building with a great array of wines but I was dissapointed with the food quality and very offhand/dissinterested staff

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

At reservations we received the choice to book non smoking, a good start. We went for different wines by the glass for all 8 of us, and were pleasantly surprised of the depth of knowledge of the young waitress. Having taken several sharing dishes, which proved to be of excellent quality, we pursued our wine discovery throughout Greece.
All in all very nice evening at affordable prices.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Philippe-Vinotheca
Reviewed May 30, 2019

Firstly, the food at this restaurant was very good, but it was sadly let down by the ineptitude of our waiter. It is a great concept, being able to try different wines by the glass. We were keen to try Greek wines, but, not being familiar with them we sought advice from the waiter. We were expecting him to be an expert. Sadly he was not. We noted another diner also requiring assistance with his choice of wine, and he too was having no luck. General service too was unprofessional. I was brought the wrong glass of wine on one occasion, and another glass which was requested never turned up! A most disappointing experience. We were asked by the proprietor as we left if we had enjoyed our evening and he was keen to make amends on hearing of the shortcomings, but I'm afraid first impressions are what matters.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 4, 2019

A nice restaurant to have dinner with good wine selections and decent food. The prices are ok and the decoration looks good. I would go there again.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

As a wine lover I don’t how I haven’t visited this place before !! On the location is nothing special altough inside its nice and cosy. When we visited they managed to accommodate us a table but was full. A lot of tourists but I suppose in the center of Athens that’s everywhere lately! Food was really really good and especially the seafood orzo which was so good that we order it again! I think is the best I have tried !! The selection of wine by the glass was of course great and overall can’t think of something more to ask from a proper wine bar ! Well done !!

Date of visit: April 2019