“Casual Taverna away from the Plaka” 5 of 5 bubbles

To Paradosiako
Ranked #464 of 3,596 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Plaka
Description: Traditional Greek Cuisine with variety of fresh fish, calamari, grilled meat and plenty of vegetarian dishes. You can try our specialties during lunch or dinner time.
New York City, New York
“Casual Taverna away from the Plaka”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Although centrally located, this restaurant is far enough from the Plaka to not have the hectic "callers" and press of people characteristic of the restaurants in the Plaka. The restaurant wasn't busy when we went in, but it seems that selling good food is more important than sit down service...we saw about 10 different locals come in to get "homemade" Greek food for takeaway. That isn't to say that the service wasn't good, it was completely fine, and everyone from a young waitress to what seemed like "mama" participated in the service at times.

But oh the food. So incredibly delicious. We had the baked tomato and Feta appetizer...I could eat it every day for a week. Then we shared two entrees among 3 adults and gorged on delicious meats and sides. For delicious, non-fussy, Greek food in a non-pressured environment, this is a perfect alternative.

• Visited June 2014

• Greek first
Sydney, Australia
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Went here twice during our stay in Athens. Great food served in a relaxing atmosphere. Outside tables good people watching spot! Meals very fresh and tasty and a good selection of what I believe is traditional Greek dishes. Can recommend as a place to try.

• Visited July 2014
Austin, Texas
“Friendly service, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

A good alternative to Paradosiako--same menu, but less crowded and more tranquil (at least when I ate there), with friendlier and more attentive service.

Visited June 2014
Athens, Greece
“Not what I expected!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

I visited this restaurant one day when I told my wife that I really miss Greek food. We live in Athens so we decided to check on the TripAdvisor map to find a Greek traditional (Paradosiako) restaurant somewhere downtown.
To my surprise although the restaurant wasn’t very busy, most of the cooked dishes were already gone and the choices were limited (only a handful of dishes left). The restaurant opens in the mornings too as we were told, but this didn’t explain the fact why they didn’t cook fresh food for their evening guests.
Anyway we chose what seemed familiar or interesting. I must admit the “imam baildi” was nice (could not match my grandmother’s cooking though), the cod fish was deep fried just fine and the garlic salad (skordalia) although it was made with bread instead of potato, was fine too.
I didn’t like at all some kind of “beef with vegetables dish” which when it arrived at our table, it looked very different than the display at the kitchen window. The meat I guess was ok, but the vegetables seemed like a mushy combo of green beans and zucchini. It was so overcooked that I could not feel any fiber when I was chewing it. It was not presentable at all and to be honest, it seemed to me like a desperate effort to get rid of some leftovers. If I was a foreigner, perhaps I wouldn’t have noticed anything peculiar, but common I'm Greek!!
What disturbed me also a bit was the reluctance of the waiter to do his job properly. Only of course when he noticed that we were taking photos he suddenly changed attitude and became somewhat friendlier.
It's not my job to tell you if you should go or not, perhaps my experience was just a bad moment. You should read the other reviews and decide by yourself.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Shefford, Canada
“Great dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just love the place, great dinner, great food, great service....had a wonderful time, thank you Dimitri, hope to see you again very soon :)

• Visited May 2014