“Superb!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I finally visited Red Elephant today. It was a great idea.
Food is really tasty and portions are rather big. Prices are fair and finally I see an Indian that doesn't overcharge you for rice and naan.
They also serve tap water which is great and rather unsual for Indian restaurants in Athens.
Service was really friendly and fast.
Tip:You should book a table (even on weekdays) because it's usually fully booked.

2  Thank Marialena P

Reviewed March 21, 2013

After my favourite Indian restaurant in Athens closed down last year (Red Indian), I have been trying to find a replacement. After many failed attempts--mostly the problem was the effort to adapt the food to the mediterranean palate, thus ending up with bland versions of everything--I tried the Red Elephant, which was recommended to me by a friend. I'm going again tonight! The food is excellent: the chicken madras every bit as flavoursome and spicy as what I remember from my student days in the UK, proper pilau rice and fluffy, tasty naan bread. The atmosphere is not the highlight (nothing, I fear, will match the plush upstairs room of the Red Indian, sigh...), but it's ok, and the food more than makes up for any shabbiness in the decoration.

1  Thank Aubergine11
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Let me set the basis by saying that I am a fan of Indian food and have visited all Indian restaurants in Athens. So, how does Red Elephant compare to the competition? Let's begin with the food. It is nice and tasty but there is something missing. I am sorry but i don't know what that is. The portions are good, the food is well cooked, the spices are there but...I have been trying to figure what was missing for the past two days, before writing this review, but no i cant. Maybe it was just me and i am not being fair to an otherwise good little restaurant. The owner is in a league of his own. He is so polite and so helpful, that wins you immediately. He should be hosting seminars for the majority of restaurant owners in Greece. They also do takeaways so this is a nice choice to have. All in all, this is a very nice Indian restaurant, with a great owner and nice food.

1  Thank jpanous
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We wanted to eat Indian food and after reading several reviews at the internet we decided to go to the Red Elephant as the majority of the commentaries were very good. We were however deceived. I would excuse the good reviews only at the fact that those who wrote them have not tasted Indian food in India, New York, London, Brussels or another big city where the Indian restaurants really compete at the quality of food, settings and service., and that Indian food was a novelty.
The place was cozy but the tables too close to each other to allow any privacy. The decor minimal and tacky. The service fair. The food passable…
Our appetizers had be fried panned in the afternoon and reheated for our order in the evening, (as the waiter admitted when we complained) making them to leave a bad taste in the mouth of burned oil. The nan bread was good. The chicken Tika Masala was good. The beef Vindaloo was simply OK for its price. And there was no Cobra Indian beer. Only Greek beers.
The prices however were very reasonable and the only plus I would prize the restaurant for.
I would not recommend the restaurant for connoisseurs of Indian food, but only for those who want to have an Indian experience at very low prices.

2  Thank Tass0P
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The whole experience was so good. The food was so good and tasty, the service was perfect and the prices normal. We watched Bollywood at television! The place was not so good for me. I will go again if i want to eat original indian food.

1  Thank ioannisvgl