“poor food”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Psirri / Gazi
“poor food”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very kind and helpful staff but food was expected to be more delicious and fresh. The ingredients of the sauces were not fresh (for examble fruits). I have read good reviews for this restaurant that's why I am so disappointed.

• Visited May 2013

• Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Good Indian food”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a good Indian restaurant, situated in a quiet place in Gazi.
The prices are good. Although this is not the best Indian restaurant in town, I recommend it for those who likes the very spice Indian food: The Tiger chicken is the an extremely spice place, possibly the most spice in Athens.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“KOHENOOR – INDIAN RESTAURANT IN GAZI ATHENS, GREECE”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Situated in a quieter part of Gazi, this restaurant is very simply furnished and has great service. I have eaten here twice now and both times, the food was delicious. In fact, our waiter remembered us from our first visit and was very friendly and professional. I found this restaurant through Groupon and on the first visit, where it was newly opened, there was only one other table occupied. I am glad to say that on my second visit, the restaurant was full which is a definite sign of good food.

The menu is typical of a North Indian restaurant and has an array of Indian rice dishes, breads and curries. Naan is a particular favourite of mine and they have Naan with cheese, garlic butter, plain or with filled with mince meat. They also have other breads like chapati, which is usually made with wholewheat and parrata, a lighter more oily bread. Briyani is a famous rice dish which is cooked with special Indian spices and they make a very tasty version. You can have it plain or with your choice of meat. The curries range from mild to very hot and if you aren’t familiar with Indian curries, you will get a lot of help from the head waiter.

I had the Madras curry with chicken the first time and it was very tasty from the blend of spices used. Remember, that curries although infused with all kinds of spices, are not necessarily hot so the second time we decided to ask them to make the lamb Vindaloo as hot as they could and that shot us right out of our seats and we almost hit the roof. I love hot food anyway but I think I won’t be asking them to do that again! At least you know that they are accommodating in that way and cater to your requests.

The prices are reasonable. A curry can range from about Euro 6.90 to 13.00, depending on the meat you choose. A vegetarian mushroom Balti for example costs Euro 6.90 and a special curry called Karahi is Euro 13.00. The next time I visit, I shall give the special a try. There are also a selection of wines and beers, as well as Lassi, which is an Indian drink made of fruit and natural yogurt.

I recommend Kohenoor and give it 5 out of 5 for the food and service. If you do decide to visit, the address is Triptolemou 41, Gazi and the number for reservations is (30) 2103455762. You can also contact them via email at kohenoor786@yahoo.com.

• Visited April 2013
“authentic indian food”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The 'Kohenoor' is a really good restaurant , close to the center of the city. The place is very popular among locals who love the indian cuisine. The prices are good, 8 euros for a chicken curry, rice for 2 for 5 euros, naan 2-5 euros. No frills, the ambience is just ok, needs more things to look and be 'warmer'.

My favourite dishes are chicken karahi and saag naan. I also love the mango lassi!

The access to the restaurant is easy, as it is next to the metro station 'Kerameikos' in the bohemian hood of Gazi!

• Visited February 2013
Athens, Greece
“very good & original indian food”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a variety of dishes; all of them were very tasty! Original taste and fresh ingredients. The prices are good considering the quality of food served. We had no problem with the service. They were quick and very polite. Simple decoration that lets you focus on your food experience. I have been in Kohenoor 3 times in 3 months and I will definitely go again.

• Visited January 2013