“Perfect location”

Ranked #54 of 326 Hotels in Athens
Melbourne
“Perfect location”
Reviewed June 19, 2007

The location of this hotel was fantastic, only a five minute walk to the Plaka. We walked almost everywhere in Athens and if we didn't want to walk it was only 200m to the Metro or if we got lost in the city we simply hopped on the Metro to get back to the hotel.
It is on a main road (which you don't hear unless the window is open) which gives easy access and parking to those who are using a car.
The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. A good buffet breakfast was included.
The Restaurant is open on the roof in summer with a wonderful view of the Acropolis.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The standard rooms could have been a little bigger.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank latetraveler_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed March 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Athenian Callirhoe last May for four nights at the end of our trip to Greece. I didn't do a lot of research before hand for this particular trip, so I didn't know much about this hotel or what to expect (our travel agent just booked it). When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. We found ourselves at a very clean, modern looking hotel in a great location. Decor/cleanliness is a big thing for me, and it definitely passed the test. Not tacky, old and tired looking, but sleak, modern and very clean with a comfy bed covered with a big fluffy duvet to top it all off.

The view wasn't tremendous from our particular room, but we weren't very high up. The location is great though. You are a couple minute walk from the plaka, and the subway which will take you most anywhere. It's also very close to the Akropolis - walking distance. You can also see it from some higher up rooms in the hotel. For food, we regulary went to the crepe and sandwhich shops which were a few blocks away from the hotel at the start of the Plaka area. Very yummy! Also enjoyed the shopping. I was in shoe heaven!

We found the reception to be very helpful. We were there doing the "tourist" thing - not on business - and they were very helpful in answering our questions and giving us directions for finding our way around. They arranged a taxi for us a couple of times and even packed us a breakfast "to go" for our last day because we had a very early morning to catch our flight. They didn't seem unfriendly or rude by very pleasant and helpful.

I also really liked the breakfast that they provided every morning. A lot of selection and choice. Very good.

Overall, I thought it was a great hotel. Very comfortable and an enjoyable stay!

• Liked — Decor, location, breakfast
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank beautiful_dawn
Singapore
Reviewed March 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nites as he had his office offsite here 2 weeks ago. After reading the reviews from the other contributers, I wasn't looking forward to staying here but I was pleasantly surprised that everything I read wasn't necessary true. As we were a big group, we were given our rooms relatively fast and after settling in, we had tea, provided by the hotel. It was excellent! Our room was on the 7th floor. It was immaculately clean, modern (had a lcd tv!!), well-stocked fridge, bath robes, 3 sets of towels, bedroom slippers, well-stocked vanity tray in the bathrm, the bath had a screen so no water spilled out after use, a comfortable king-sized bed with soft duvet and 2 pillows each (extra pillows in the cupboard), room safe. We didn't hv much of a view but we could see part of the parthenon from afar, and at nite, it was pretty as it was all lit up. The front desk staff was very helpful at all times especially when we had to check out very early in the morning. We pre-ordered a taxi for 430am and when it arrived, the staff called our room to inform us. And when we got down, our bill was promptly given to us without further delay and the nite staff, Angel was very helpful all the time, even to pointing out the correct fare to the airport and should we encounter any problems to call him immediately so that he could rectify the matter with the taxi campany immediately. Breakfast was yummy everyday.

All in all a really pleasant stay. Location is excellent, very close to the Plaka, and all shopping tht needs to be done. Only complain is the air conditioning. Where I come from that means cold air. Imagine our horror when only hot air came out. Small matter, just open the windows and the lovely crisp winter air comes spilling in.

I would recommend staying here without any bias thoughts or prejudice.

• Liked — comfortable room and friendly staff
  • Disliked — the air-conditioning that spewed out hot air!!!
  • Stayed February 2007
4 Thank aemys
Romania
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Hello,

just reading some comments made about this hotel and thought I would give my owns as well, as I found some of them a bit bitter and not really objective. I've been traveling for business to Athens almost every month for the last 1 and a half year and I found this hotel by chance after many unsuccessful tries in other hotels, including the big Hilton.
I keep on going there as people there treated me from the first time nicely and with respect. They do not have that "corporative faked smile" so I really apreciate when they ask me how am I, as I feel they are honest and don't do it for the etiquette. I remember one day I felt I was cheated by one of the taxi driver who was booked through the hotel. I told this to the reception and later in the day an envelope with 30Euros was waiting for me (the amount for which I was cheated) together with excuses.
Somebody said he arrived late and he lost the reservation. It never happened to me, but I made sure I would call reception to announce if I am very late and they took it into account.
Somebody said the hotel is noisy, for God sake, that's Greece, that's Athens, that's the culture there, everything to be noisy. Au contrary, this hotel is the most quiet one at least for me, comparing with the others.
Last summer I brought my parents for the first time and I spoke with the hotel to give them the most beautiful and convenient room. They were very nice and prepared nice surprises for my parents when they got in the room. Since then, they always ask me about my parents and pass their regards.
The roof garden is a great one as you can enjoy the most beautiful view of Acopolis.
Bfast is ok at least for me. Not the greatest one, but you have several choices and foold is always fresh.
And another important aspect: I have never tipped the people in the hotel and they never behaved as they were expecting me to do it.

• Liked — location, people, cleanliness, privacy
  • Disliked — no swimming pool, small fitness room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Oana
Netherlands
Reviewed December 11, 2006

I stayed at the Callirhoe for 5 nights for a business meeting. The first thing that struck me was the extremely loud noise you got when you opened the windows in the room - it was impossible to bear for more than 5 minutes. But opening the windows was kind of a necessity as the air conditioner was running non-stop and because they were already at winter terms, only hot air came out of it. It was roasting. Only several complaints at the desk changed that. Another sour point was the internet connection: there is supposed to be one in every room, but mine did not work. When i told that to the desk they looked at me as if i am not capable of handling a computer. At least in the lobby they have WLAN, so i had to sit there to use the internet. Strange was also the furniture setup in my room: there was a desk and instead of a chair an ottoman (far too low for the height of the desk) was underneath it. How anybody is supposed to work there is beyond me.
On the positive side of it, the hotel is very clean, the bathroom had a bathtub, breakfast was plenty and offered quite a variety (from croissants to cornflakes and eggs with bacon) and it is situated quite nicely. Within 10 minutes of walking one is near the Akropolis and within 2 minutes one reaches the underground.

• Liked — its situation near the Akropolis
  • Disliked — missing internet
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank charlie_eu_traveler
Toronto
Reviewed October 22, 2006

We are here now, using the in-room internet connection, which is one of the few redeeming features of this clearly over-rated hotel. The five stars it displays are about two in excess if what it deserves.

Initial reception: they missed our airport pickup. Had a 30 minute wait in a cab line at midnight. Night reception clerk argued about our not having made the reservation, which we were able to subsequently forward to him by email.

No room service after midnight (isn't this a requirement of a 5-star facility?). No robes. No CNN. Does have a bar fridge (stocked) and a room safe, though. Appreciated that.

The hardest bed in Europe, without a doubt.

Impossible desk arrangement. No chair, just an ottoman, way too short to be comfortable at.

Immaculately clean. Gotta give them that.

No shower curtain or barrier, despite full shower equipment in the tub. What a mess that makes for! Huge tray of toiletry amenities - that looks nice - but no bar soap for the tub/shower, just two of those impossible-to-open fancy wrapped hand soaps.

Window curtains don't quite cover the window, leaving an irritationg sliver of light from the unquenchable balcony light in your face all night.

Touted view of the Acropolis is from the roof, not the room. We have a view of quite a different set of ruins at street level.

Breakfast was a test of wills trying to get coffee poured. Finally a waiter appears and asked if we wanted "more" coffee. Told him that we hadn't had any yet, which was a mistake, as it meant we would never get more. Finally found the pot and poured it myself, which apparently is a great no-no, for two other waitstaff descended and started pulling the caraffe from my hands. Snarls all around on that one.

We're back for the second night, but only because it is our last. If it were a three-night reservation, we would have been out of here by now!

But the internet connection is nice. Even if the night clerk told us, upon arrival, that there was no internet in the room, that we could use the laptop in the lobby that is called a "Business Centre." And even if I can't reach the keyboard from this ottoman.

• Liked — Internet connection
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tdbab
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed October 5, 2006

We stayed there 4 nights. It's central and the room was very nice. The street is very noisy but with windows closed it's perfect. The breakfast is huge and the personnel very kind and helpfull.
The restaurant is trendy and great tasting.

• Tips/Secrets — book directly on the hotel sites for great internet surprise prices
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple