1,182 results
All reviews tudor hall grande bretagne sister hotel syntagma square upgraded to a suite beautiful hotel parliament building rooftop restaurant sitting room classic room adjoining rooms beautiful room front desk staff indoor pool top floor walking distance perfect stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The King George is beautiful. Great location - we walked everywhere we went in Athens. The rooms are beautiful and the view from the restaurant is gorgeous. The staff was extremely friendly. Highly recommend!

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel building has kerb appeal, with a classic fasade. But sadly first impressions on arrival were not great - the doorman was too busy on his mobile to notice our arrival. On the taxi driver unloading the cases, he eventually noticed. Check-in was friendly, albeit not particularly informative (most notably not mentioning that guests at King George can utilise the bars & restaurants at the sister hotel Grande Bretagne
- GB - next door and conveniently room charge). At over 600 euros a night, its the only hotel in that class where I haven't been personally shown to my room. The luggage took around 10 mins to arrive.

The Grand Suite was a good size, albeit strangely configured - with the lounge being windowless and also with a smaller television than the bedroom. There was a small balcony, and a good sized bathroom with separate shower & bath. The bed was very comfortable, however air con control didn't drop the room temperature sufficiently to justify a full duvet when sleeping. Housekeeping was lacking attention to detail - turndown missed until prompted on one night, toilet roll not replemenished, turndown for two when I was travelling solo, not stowing the ironing board, and an annoyance of resetting the room each time it was serviced (replacing magazines on the desk that I'd placed in the drawer for space, moving the soap to right hand side of the sink instead of left). All pretty minor but what you typically do not see when staying in hotels of this class.

The hotel's only dining option is the Tudor Hall, which has a small bar, and restaurant with indoor & outdoor seating. The view of the Acropolis is stunning. For details, see separate review. In summary, a few issues but otherwise very enjoyable. And some genuinely warm staff.

The public areas are very well maintained. The staff from reception, to the restaurant to housekeeping showed geniune warmth. That said, I found the hotel somewhat souless with a large lobby of only seating, and the only real public area being the one bar restaurant on the roof top. As I mentioned earlier, whilst you can use the GB's facilities next door that excludes their pool, there's no internal connection between the two properties meaning you feel more of a visitor and not a resident.

As mentioned at the start, I was less than impressed by the doorman on arrival (I've never seen a doorman at a high end hotel even holding a mobile). The doorman provides a critical role as your first and last experience of a property. During my 3 night stay it was more common than not to open the door myself (which, if you happened to be older, was heavy). They were often absent or pre-occupied in conversation with other staff - on one occasion in conversation with a porter blocking the entrance. This was in stark contrast to the sister hotel (The GB) next door.

During my stay I didn't see any management presence - I'm assuming as Marriott manage both properties that the management are perhaps being shared, and focussed more on the larger GB.

Whilst I still enjoyed the stay, given the detractors I wouldn't stay again. To be fair, I didn't research the hotel facilities in detail at time of booking however when a hotel is clearly premium 5 star and commanding 600 euros plus per night I had assumed (clearly incorrectly) it would have more than one restaurant with small bar area as its facilities.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
King-George-Athens, Manager at King George, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the King George Hotel. Honestly, we are truly sorry to hear we did not fully meet your exceptions. We would like to apologize if some of our staff let you down on this occasion.First and last impressions always count and negative ones are difficult to overcome. Normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care. The points raised have been addressed to the relevant hotel teams in order to take immediate action where necessary. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and show you the true nature of the service offered at our hotel.

Reviewed June 10, 2019

For unparalleled service and accommodations in the heart of Athens, look no further than the King George. From the moment you arrive until you say goodbye, the quality of service, accommodations, and food is first rate. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the 7th floor restaurant which has breathtaking views of the Acropolis.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2019

We recently stayed at this gorgeous hotel in the heart of Athens, sadly, for just one night before embarking on a cruise. Next time we will plan to stay in this hotel longer! This is one beautiful hotel. It's in a lovely location (near the Acropolis and just down the street from the Hellenic Parliament building). It offers fantastic customer service and he top floor restaurant has truly wonderful food. We had a lovely suite at the end of the hall, with a separate sitting room and very luxurious bathroom. Our suite had a nice little balcony overlooking the main square, which was really beautiful at night with all these fantastic sights so attractively lit. We have stayed in other very nice hotels in Athens before, but this is the best. Even better, you get Marriott points here (now Bonvoy). We highly recommend it.

Room tip: Best views face the street (to have a view of the Acropolis and the Parliament).
Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2019

From the front desk staff who were exceptional to the dining team to the cleaning staff, no detail was missed. We were upgraded to a suite on the 7th floor - same floor as Tudor Hall restaurant which is a must, pricy, but a must, as views of Parthenon. Room was large, a nice welcome gift was awaiting and it was very quiet. Excellent location and walking distance to most notable attractions.

Room tip: It's a gorgeous old building that has been kept up well. All rooms are nice.
Date of stay: June 2019