“only ideal for stop over bag packers”
Review of Alma Hotel

Alma Hotel
Ranked #231 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed February 28, 2010

Like all the others who say don't stay me i wouldn't have let my dog stay here, thou if you manage to find the hotel just to look at "don't stay" there is a wonderful taverna just round the corner from it. Just wanted out so never stayed to experience the breakfast but managed to find a wee cafe that served donuts and ice cream for breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2010

I know this is a budget hotel. But the place was exceedingly shabby, the beds were rock hard, the breakfast consisted of a slice of dry bread and watered down juice or coffee. The area was the worst we have ever encountered - drug addicts lying about on the pavement outside with syringes and prostitutes plying their trade right outside the door. The receptionist was friendly but seemed to lack any knowledge of the area and wasn't keen to help anyway. I agree with a previous reviewer - the place spoils your experience of this amazing city - avoid it!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lovetotravel15
Reviewed November 23, 2009

Overall, complete dissapointment. We reserved two beds got one. There were fights outside of our hotel I had a gold rosary, which I had never taken out of the hotel room but when i got back home I could not find it apperantly is was stolen from me from the hotel room. My friend had money in the room which he did not want to take with him and left it inside his suit case. He had told me money was missing and I dismissed it as his overspending but after I realized my rosary was gone I figured he must have been telling the truth. I would never recommend this place and am upset that I stayed here. We even decided to check out the evening before and stay at the airport instead of staying in that awful place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2009

This hotel was worst than some hostels I have stayed at. Although the price was one of the cheapest we found in Athens it was not worth the price for us. We didn't expect much and we didn't get much. It was in a very sketchy neighborhood, and barely offered the minimum essentials one would expect from a hotel. The beds were so rock hard and shorter than normal- my 6 foot husband's legs dangled over the edge. The bathroom felt like we were in a port-a-potty. It was a close walk to the subway, if you didn't mind walking through drug dealers, prostitutes and homeless people. I would not recommend this hotel - but especially not to women traveling alone and families with children. If you are looking for just a cheap place to crash for the night it could do the trick for you so long as you have low standards.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingGat0rs
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed at Alma for 3 nights, linen and towels changed every day, room cleaned every day! Great bar around the the corner with cool staff, it begins with an E but could not pronounce it. Ok so Breakfast is not great but what do you expect for the price. Its very central ,easy access to the metro, staff varied from really helpful to grumpy - just like most employees!!! would recommend it for a cheap place to stay for a short break, after all you only sleep there!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed October 1, 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed August 13, 2009

The hotel Alma is in a very convenient place for sightseers and students. Just off Omonia square, this hotel has easy metro access and for just 30 Euro per night provides fantastic value. As a student I found the price most reasonable. I only stayed for one night as I was setting off elsewhere in Greece the next day, so I can't comment on the maid service (if there is any).
I found the hotel acceptable, the decor was rather dated but not falling apart. Shampoo, soap, and shower gel was provided, but I wasn't sure whether towels or sandpaper was provided in the bathroom. Breakfast wasn't great, but remember the price. It consisted of bread rolls, cheese, ham, and marmalade.
I would recommend this hotel to persons with low income or for people just wanting to rest their head for the night.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo