“Clean and Cheap”

Ranked #273 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Brighton
“Clean and Cheap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed at Alma for 3 nights, linen and towels changed every day, room cleaned every day! Great bar around the the corner with cool staff, it begins with an E but could not pronounce it. Ok so Breakfast is not great but what do you expect for the price. Its very central ,easy access to the metro, staff varied from really helpful to grumpy - just like most employees!!! would recommend it for a cheap place to stay for a short break, after all you only sleep there!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

The hotel Alma is in a very convenient place for sightseers and students. Just off Omonia square, this hotel has easy metro access and for just 30 Euro per night provides fantastic value. As a student I found the price most reasonable. I only stayed for one night as I was setting off elsewhere in Greece the next day, so I can't comment on the maid service (if there is any).
I found the hotel acceptable, the decor was rather dated but not falling apart. Shampoo, soap, and shower gel was provided, but I wasn't sure whether towels or sandpaper was provided in the bathroom. Breakfast wasn't great, but remember the price. It consisted of bread rolls, cheese, ham, and marmalade.
I would recommend this hotel to persons with low income or for people just wanting to rest their head for the night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed here for a one night stopover in Athens, it is Athens so what do you expect, the area is pretty grim and maybe a solo woman traveller might want to spend the extra on somewhere nicer, but a few nice places to eat nearby and pretty handy for transport, the staff at reception are not rude or anything but are definitely not happy to be there. The room was pretty gross feeling and the hotel didnt have a traveller's vibe. We booked on Hostelworld and the directions were incorrect because the red metro line was closed so we spent 2 hours getting here, pretty peeved about that. air con works good and we had a balcony which on waking early the next morning was beautiful to watch the sun rise over Athens, even if the balcony was a bit dodge....I would not stay here for anything more than a quick stopover between flights or ferries

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Athens hotels

san francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

Just like previous reviews, we found the area right out front of the hotel very dodgy, but Omonia Square much less so. That said... the main reason this place is risky is not because of the neighborhood, but because of the building itself. My friend looked out the window from our 8th story room and pointed to a huge crack in the building going all the way down to the bottom floor. We only stayed one night because it was close to the Metro that took us to Piraeus, but I'm glad there wasn't an earthquake because it's highly unlikely that the building could withstand one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SFally
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2009

We ended up here thanks to our travel agent who says he allegedly stayed here, but I have a hard time believing that when there are are equally budget friendly choices to choose from. Anyway, this is a hostel! Actually, we have stayed at cheaper, nicer hostels than this. We went trekking to find a laundry and ended up having to ask directions from a pharmacist who couldn't believe we were staying there. His simple advice was to cab it! Yes, it is near the metro, and the front desk staff tried to assure us the area is safe, and maybe so with the hoardes of Athens police with machine guns on every corner. Do some homework and I bet you can find a better place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

I wouldn't suggest this hotel to my worst enemy, as I am not that cruel. A friend of mine booked there as we were looking for a cheap and central place to stay for a couple of night, back in Septermebr 2007. I don't know wheter situation has changed since then, but I doubt.

Well, it's cheap and it's close to Omonia Square, where you have a tube station and from where you can walk straight to the turistic areas (Acropolis, La Plaka etc) in fifteen minutes or so. That said, the small road where the hotel is located, Durou Street, is one of the dodgiest places I've ever seen: filthy, rubbish everywhere, junkies into drugs in the middle of the day, sitting on a bech just oustide the hotel hall, prostitudes screaming at night. I wouldn't have been surprised if I heard gunshots, just to give you an idea...

We took photograps of the doors and hallways as they looked like a jail.
Rooms are quite small, less dirty that the public areas of the hotel, but still not clean enough. I slept with my socks on as I didn't want my foot to touch that dark blu carpet which, I assume, had not been properly cleaned in years. There was a Tv, but it was placed on the wall and almost close to the celeing, so that trying to watch it forced you in a uncomfortable position.
Beds? Obviously uncomfortable. View from the window? You'd better keep the shades down! I could see a few meters away an extremely run-down bulding with no glasses on windows and no electriciy, maybe an abandoned building where poor homlesses or junkies go to sleep at night.

As for the staff, when we first enterd the hall people at the reception were having an argument and they almost didn't care about us. Not to mention the very poor English they were able to speak.

So please, if you love yourself, just go somewhere else! Athen is nice for a short break, I suggest you to stay in the Plaka quarter or close to the Likabeto hill.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends