“Unexpected bar/restaurant in Monastiraki.”
Review of The James Joyce

The James Joyce
Ranked #149 of 2,525 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Monastiraki
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Situated in a smaller, less busy/noisy street of Monastiraki, yet, just a few steps from the souvenir/tourist/antique etc. shops. It was such a relief to find a nice looking place after walking through the busy area on a Saturday morning (the first really spring Saturday of the year.
Having no clear image of an Irish bar, I cannot tell if it meets the standards (for an Irish). But for a Greek I feel it has a certain appeal.
The decoration was what I expected when I first glanced at the green color details of the exterior (tent, window frames). Dark brown/black tables/chairs, a long, high-backed dark red couch. The bar distinguished itself from the tables, being taller. Between bar and tables were taller stands and stools. It was not stuffed with objects, it was elegant and cosy.
Rock music in the backround but you could easily chat with the person sitting opposite to you.
Abundant variaty in beer labels, draught or bottled. It had also a very interesting menu, the dishes we ordered did not come late, they were well served, adequate portions (for normal hunger). Perhaps some dishes lacked what I call inspiration (but that is really very very subjective, others perhaps would find them perfect).
Service was fast and what I would expect from an Irish bar. Informal, yet polite. Our waitress did not speak greek but she could understand greek. That made me feel a bit awkward because I did not know at first if I should speak greek or english (I don't speak Irish, but I believe neither did she...). Anyway, you'll find your way through.
Prices reasonable, certainly more expensive than what you would pay in a greek taverna with local beer labels.
Toilets clean. No ashtrays, no smoking area, I don't know if it changes at a later hour or it happens out of the record.
I believe if the road brings me outside the James Joyce again, I will enter its doors (and for a change I will do it on a Friday night).

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Place is situated in Monastiraki very close to Athens center, Thission , Plaka etc. It's an Irish pub if somebody likes the style, with excellent service from Irish (nice) girls, always smiling and always wiling to help. Food is traditional, very large portions, tasting really good if you like this kind of food to accompany yr beer. My only complain is the beers catalogue. OK, it's Irish pub , but it is located in Athens and I would expect a much larger number of selections. Traditional Irish beers, a few Greek and Fosters is the only choice. But Ok, the smile of the girls serving the beer is enough to make you enjoy the existing labels. For sport fans there is a number of big screens and if seated in the very long bar you can watch yr favorite sport/team. The place is clean, the food priced reasonably, the beers very expensive. Cost per person with food (be carefull , usually one selection per person is enogh-portions are big) and one beer is abt 20 euros, if you want to drink more you should be careful ... you will need around 5 euros for a small 330ml bottle/glass.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The place is great, in an amazing location, right at the historic center of Athens.It's great for the night!It have great beers and nice food, and the last time i was there, the owner was performing live with a guitar!We had such a great time!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I first visited this pub back in 2009. I was impressed with the decoration, it resembled more an English Club (leather Chesterfield type chairs, dim lights and quiet people enjoying their pints) than the typical loud and to be honest, tasteless pubs in Pompey where I spent 7 years of my life. Don't get me wrong I loved those pubs in my 20s but a decade later they just don't do it for me anymore. Back to James Joyce though. In the last couple of years the food has gone from bad to worse, the ventilation is non existent and the quality of tap beers has unfortunately followed that same trend. In the weekends it is a nice place to drown a couple of pints and watch premier league football but apart from that I can not find any other reasons to visit. Of course all the above is my opinion and I understand that most of the regulars enjoy the place for the exact same reasons I don't. Oh well.

1  Thank jpanous
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a truly Irish pub. It's full with expatriots living and working in Athens. Tourists and locals are rarely found here. It's packed and very loud when there's a football (socker) game on (dont go if you are not into that). Quality pub food and a great selection of beers. I love it. (Btw I'm a local)