“A week at the Hermes”

Ranked #19 of 327 Hotels in Athens
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A week at the Hermes”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had a really lovely stay at the Hermes at the beginning of February. We could not fault this small hotel. The staff are incredibly helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them. Dorina the manager, was on hand every morning with suggestions for things to do during our first visit to Athens. We were there for my birthday and came back to our room one day to find a beautiful vase of flowers and a hand written card. How thoughtful. Breakfast was excellent, a very good variety and you would need to be really fussy to have any complaints. We had a comfy room with a balcony on the 4th floor with views over the rooftops. The location is terrific, just a few minutes walk from Syntagma Square. We wouldn't hesitate to return to this great wee hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JimandM
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you personally for your kind recommendation to others and for sharing your lovely feedback following your stay with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location, as well as the breakfast, the cleanliness and most importantly the friendliness of our staff.
We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Thank you again.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

After a three weeks stay in Hermes Hotel I can always recommend it to anybody who is looking for a nice and clean place with good services in the city center of Athens.
The only small problem that I can mention about is the FREE internet connection who was not always at its best capabilities (but this is a common thing in Greece from what I have seen).

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
It was a great pleasure having you in our hotel for three weeks. We are glad you enjoyed the cleanliness, the location and our friendly staff. As for the internet, as you mentioned, though in general we do not have problems, it may be moments with low capability, something common in Greece. We thank you again for choosing us for your long stay. We all hope to see you again on a future trip to Athens.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Wonderful long weekend in Athens at Hermes Hotel - we received such a warm welcome by very friendly and helpful staff.Loved the offer of further assistance each morning by duty manager who had a natural wish to make sure everyone enjoys their time in Athens. Bedrooms very clean with the most comfortable mattresses and duvets. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful with a selection of hot/cold and greek foods....greek yogurt and honey to die for! A very generous spread of coffee, tea, biscuits and cold water all day in lounge. Not many other tourists around in Feb so we were very obvious in our sleeveless tops and sandals as weather was beautiful but also found locals wrapped up in winter garb only too keen to offer advice and directions to six Scottish lassies trying not to look lost!! Found hotel easily from Syntagma Square metro station, wee quiet street but always felt safe. Hotel staff directed us to a restaurant 2mins away and it was our best Greek meal all weekend.Lounged comfortably in the sunshine at both Hermes and sister hotel Plaka nearby.

Room Tip: high floor was ideal
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janner13_13
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Athens.
We are delighted to read your enthusiastic review.
I am really glad that all six of you had a wonderful stay and experience from Hermes Hotel as well as from our beautiful city.
We are looking forward to seeing again on a future occasion.
My very nest regards you and all your friends.
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A great price and situated in central Athens. Loved my stay and the free wifi was a great touch. They were very helpful about getting around Athens, as when I was there, there were local taxi / metro / bus strikes. For a central hotel, it was very easy to sleep with minimal street noise. My one little niggle is that you couldn't get wifi on the roof, and the "view of the acropolis" was rather stretched. The only way you could see the Acropolis was by stretching on tip toes and twisting my neck. But I did love the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank hannah_337
Dorina S, General Manager at Hermes Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Athens.
I am pleased that you had a good sleep and that our friendly staff was helpful.
For an exceptional view of the Acropolis we recommend the terrace of our sister hotel Plaka.
We hope to see you again.
Beograd
Reviewed February 23, 2013

A great hotel. The rooms are really nice and free Wi-Fi is covered in the whole hotel. Breakfast is really good, the staff is more than friendly and the location of the hotel is great so there is no mistake in choosing this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank e-Marko
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments on our property.
Thank you once more.
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

A beautifully maintained family run hotel, sister of Plaka Hotel with a view of theAcropolis and the Parthenon...to die for! From Hermes you get a glimpse of the Acropolis wall from the rooftop. Three blocks from the main streets of Plaka with many good restaurants. Came for business and pleasure and had a room on the fifth floor with great comfortable duvet beds, safe in the closet, TV, a balcony with plants, table and chair. However I did not enjoy it, as Athens had an unusually rainy spell, making the international news, with thunder and lightning, making the street of Syntagma impossible to walk for few hours. Then it cleared and this is the famous sun of Athens after the storm.
Breakfast buffet every morning with whatever kind of coffee you want, plus coffee and cookies available all day in the lounge next the reception area. Comfortable sofas and lounge chairs as well as an Internet corner free of charge as is the WiFi all over the hotel.
Dorina Stathopoulos every morning stops to visit each table and make sure all is to the client's satisfaction as well help with info about the important sights not to miss in Athens with direction and maps. I have visited many hotels in Athens, however this and Plaka Hotel are the only ones I have seen this kind of service. The reception is also exceptional, staffed with genuine people, truly interested with servicing the clients needs. Stelios, Eva, Tonia, Ilias, Margarita and so many more there around the clock, cannot choose who is the best. Definitely a keeper and I know I will be back every time I am here, or I need to book for clients.
A big thank you to all at Hermes!

Room Tip: All rooms are very good, let the hotel know if you wish two double beds of one king.there are only 4...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank stella_sl
Dear Stella,
Thank you ever so much for writing a nice review about our hotel staff and our services. I am sure your review will help others to make their choice .
We all send you our best regards and look forward to seeing you on a future trip to Athens.
Melbourne
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I absolutely LOVED the Hermes Hotel, from the surprise bottle of red wine waiting for me in my room, to the free WIFI, to the helpful staff, the mix of contemporary and traditional in the decor and design, the super warm and comfortable doona and pillow, the Greek corner in the breakfast buffet... the list goes on and on. On my last morning the manager of the hotel introduced herself to guests in the breakfast restaurant. When I mentioned it was my last morning in the hotel, she asked what time was flying and suggested an even later check out for my convenience, then spoke with reception to organise it! I was so impressed with the manager's hands on, personal approach - she was lovely!! I have already been recommending the hotel to friends who are travelling to Greece later this year and will be very pleased to stay there again myself on my next visit to Athens.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Len_Lambchop
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments on our property and for exceptional photos.
It was a real pleasure to be able to assist you with a late check out. As our main goal is to offer to our guests high quality facilities and services, it is great to read that you were satisfied with your stay.
Thank you once more. We look forward to welcome your friends and family.