“Reasonable price, great location; a good base for the sights of Athens”
Review of Hotel Carolina

Hotel Carolina
Ranked #127 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Large, simply but adequately furnished, room. The first three nights of our stay we had a room with an Acropolis-view but this was not available for the last night so we had to move to a standard double; we were happy to do this as we didn't feel the view (as shown in the accompanying photo) was worth the extra charge. The continental buffet breakfast was good (bread, cake, cheese, meats, fruit and yoghurt, tea and coffee). The location is excellent, a five minute walk from the Monastiraki metro station and ten minutes from Syntagma Square.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 80shilling
There are newer reviews for Hotel Carolina

Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed in the Hotel Carolina for four nights, the first of which was in a room with a balcony overlooking the street. It was very small and pretty nondescript, but it was clean and comfortable enough.

The second night we moved to room of the rooftop garden rooms, with a "view of the Acropolis." OK, I'll give them the "rooftop garden" part, there were lots of potted trees and plants, but ACROPOLIS VIEW? The only way you could see the Acropolis was if you went to the other end of the roof and looked back between other buildings, and then you could sort of see the Acropolis. Making that claim is a bit of an exaggeration, to say the least! Also, be aware that if you do stay in one of the rooftop garden rooms, the elevator only goes to the fourth (US) floor, so you'll have to carry your bags up a flight of stairs.

Still, the price seemed fair and the location was good for seeing all of the major sights. The staff was friendly and helpful, the included breakfast was decent, and the free wi-fi was excellent!

Would I stay there again? Sure, if I couldn't find anything better at the same price, which is not likely to happen. It's a good hotel, just don't expect an Acropolis view!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MayDayKay
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Firstly.. I was extremely annoyed to discover by barking on the next room that this place allows animals. Worse of all, the room had a terrible smell, which funny enough I thought it was my shoes that might have stepped on something on the street. When I found out about the hotel also being a kennel I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was dog dropping smell.
The place I am told gets fumigated only 1 a month.. so if you get itchy bites you will know why!!
It is a disgrace that they do not clearly state this on Tripadvisor.
Secondly: The rooms are dated and dark. Claims of a Minibar ?? is that what an empty fridge is called now?
Thirdly: Breakfast is very poor. All layed out the night before.. just touch the bread and the ends and you will soon figure it out.
Fouthly: Location.. while it is fairy central, it is not that great.. and to get to the acropolis is a good 15-20 min walk.. really!! some of the people in this reviews must have jet packs to get there to say it is a short walk..
I would NEVER have stayed there, knowing they allowed flea infested animals. yuck!!

Room Tip: One without a barking dog in the next room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Albertito65
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at Carolina in Athens for 2 nights (23 & 24 Apr 2011) before moving on to Pireaus. Our impression of the room and the hotel in general is that it's old but well maintained. The toilets seemed to be newly refurbished and are in good working condition. Hot shower works well. The room is very small and the furniture eg. the wardrobe and desk are old, the bed small, and although there was a fairly large balcony, the view was pathetic. It basically faces the ugly back of old rundown apartments. The location of Carolina though may not be the most ideal but still remains very near to all key attractions. It's about 10 minutes walking distance to Plaka and its surrounding restaurants, Ermou the shopping street and just further away, Syntagma Square. The best feature of our stay though is that the free wifi works perfectly well keeping us occupied during the nights when there was really nothing much to watch on Greece TV. If we were to go Athens again, I'll surely stay at the Plaka Hotel which we had a chance to pass by on our way to Plaka and also the view of the Acropolis from their rooftop terrace was terrific !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jtham
Reviewed February 12, 2011

A charming hotel in Athens at a good price! The room and bathroom were both small, but clean and perfectly adequate. We enjoyed the balcony at night. The staff was friendly and helpful. They provided an area for luggage storage and guests could use a computer with internet access. They had a great breakfast each morning, which was included. We only stayed here a couple of nights and later at another "more American" type hotel...I wished I back at Hotel Carolina for its charm, as the other hotel was lacking character entirely.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2011

The loaction is ideal, the price was good, adequate breakfast, clean & comfortable. Although the street was quite busy at times it wasn't really noticable once the doors were closed, good double glazing.
Free internet was a bonus, the staff were helpful & friendly. My room was fine for a single, no opportunity to view others, & it was well equipped for a budget hotel, aircon/heating, TV, fridge, hairdryer, safe, tea & coffee making facilities & bathroom toiletries all supplied in the price.
The only downside is that noise from the reception (the 2 nightstaff, or 1 staff & friend, chatting & laughing loudly) could be heard in my room as the hotel is all uncarpeted & everything echoes up the central stairwell. This wasn't for long though & all was soon quiet again.
I love the old lift!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Yiassas
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I stayed for christmas 2010 in Carolina Hotel being on a small break away from home. The room type i chose was the superior double, a wonderful spacious room with acropolis view and balcony. The room was quiet enough with a lot of amenities such us complimentary tea/coffee facilities and safe deposit. Furthermore, there was free wifi as well with excellent signal. Breakfast was buffet style, complimentary as well. All in all, i recommend this hotel as it offers good prices, clean rooms and excellent location!!! I am really happy and I think I will always choose this hotel for all my trips to Athens for any reasons!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business