“Funny walks”

Ranked #25 of 325 things to do in Athens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We found the source of John Cleese's funny walk - a Greek Ministry. Great fun, they change the guard on the hour everyday. But for the full parade, you'll need to wait until 11am on Sunday.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had to walk through the square everyday to get to where we needed to be. All in all, it is not that exciting by itself, though it is interesting to see Greece's government building and it is a decent square. Though it is not exciting, it is a must-see simply to see the government building and the main square of Athens. I watched a lot of news coverage before going to Greece because I was going during the riots, so I thought it was interesting to see in real life the location I had seen on the news.

1  Thank ACD323
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Syntagma Square itself is not that amazing - if you ever watch a news report from Athens that's usually where the reporter is standing, but I didn't find it particularly dirty as some other reviewers have. Perhaps I was just lucky.

I did find the evzones changing the guard interesting. Whenever I see something like this I always wonder how these rituals came to be developed.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our first stop due to it being very central (I had to get a sim card). It has a bit of everything: park, roadside vendors, shops, restaurants etc.
There isn't anything extraordinary about this place so just spend a little time walking around and enjoy the busy crowds.
I do recommend memorizing this area on your map as you will definitely go through this stop frequently in your travels.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Syntagma Square is over rated, noisy, dirty, and should be avoided. There are much nicer ( and quieter ) places nearby.

1  Thank kevin k