“Perfectly placed, very welcoming, knock-out view”
Review of Hera Hotel

Hera Hotel
Ranked #18 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I took my partner to Athens for her birthday, and, after a lot of searching, settled on the Hera. I booked via the website (there's a handy facility which lets you order a bottle of wine to be in your room when you arrive - like it!) and asked for a room with an Acropolis view. We arrived after a very straightforward jouney from the airport on the Metro - unless you have a heap of luggage, don't bother with taxis, as that takes a similar amount of time for a much higher price. The hotel is only a couple of minutes' walk from the Metro station, and is on a quiet side-street, so you won't be affected by the heavy traffic on the main streets. When we arrived our room was upgraded to a junior suite...very welcome surprise! I disagree with the reviewer who said the rooms with an Acropolis view are not worth the extra money. I would have to stay a long time before I tired of seeing the Acropolis lit up at night, and seeing it when you draw the curtains in the morning is not to be missed. We took one look on arrival and immediately scratched the idea of unpacking, and instead poured ourselves a glass of the wine waiting for us and sat outside to take in the view. Our room was spotlessly clean and well equipped. I agree with the other reviewers who said they found it quite warm at night (there are spare blankets provided, but you're unlikely to need them!), but that's a minor quibble.

The hotel is very well placed indeed. The Metro is nearby, as mentioned, but the new Acropolis Museum (go there! It's superb) is 5 minutes' walk, with the Acropolis park itself next to the Museum. With the Metro so close, getting around to the rest of Athens is very easy. There are also plenty of restaurants in the vicinity - we usually headed for the pedestrianised part near the hotel, which has some tourist traps but plenty of very good places to eat as well.

Iro Chatzilia at the hotel was very helpful prior to our arrival, with plenty of information when I e-mailed asking for some recommendations for dinner on my partner's birthday, and offering to book a table once I'd decided. We opted for Orizontes, which Iro warned was "pricey" but "very romantic with amazing views over Athens" - correct on all three counts, and we had a wonderful dinner. The other staff at the hotel were also excellent - very friendly, very welcoming, very helpful, very efficient. Unfortunately the rooftop restaurant was closed while we were there (it's the off-season), so we didn't get to sample that. On the other hand, there's a very relaxing bar...

I was very happy with my choice. It's competitively priced for that part of Athens and that quality of hotel, and even if our room had not been upgraded I would still have regarded it as money well spent. I'd recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Markinsussex
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed December 31, 2009

We have just returned from a 9 night stay at the Hera and we had a lovely time. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the view from the roof bar is stunning ( although as another review mentioned bar prices are rather expensive), and our room very comfy with LOTS of furniture :0). The hotel couldnt be in a better place with easy access to the fab metro system ( get a weekly ticket as Hera is so easy to access you can have a day out and about pop home and then out again for the evening) but also has a range of friendly bars and tavernas were you can share a jug of wine and some fantastic Greek food. What better way to wake up Christmas morning than to the sound of church bells, a view of the Parthenon from the window, a satisfying breakfast offered by friendly but unobtrusive staff and a walk through Plaka and around the Acropolis. Oddly, we had the same problem with being over-heated ( and I live in Dubai!!!!) but an open window to the balcony sorted that out- and the lift has a slight case of hiccups when it starts! I would recommend Hera as a warm and welcoming place to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolineaDubai
Reviewed December 14, 2009

My best stay in Athens ever! Great location, with breathtaking views of the Acropolis from the roof bar! Next to the new Acropolis museum, able to view the displayed artworks within, when illuminated at nights...where else can you expect to see that?!
The reception was more than welcoming, friendly, professional and willing to assist in any way, which presupposes the management pays special attention in this respect (not always the case in Athens' hotels, I' m afraid). Bravo! The hotel itself and the rooms reflect low-profile luxury, giving it a 5* flair. Breakfast buffet was rich with great variety and tastes! Definitely, my only choice for my next visit to Athens which I hope to be soon again and have more time, at least in order to taste the promising menu of the Peacock restaurant on the roof. That's one good reason to return!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2009

stayed 2 nights here and i was not disappointed from all the positive reviews i've read on this website.
the hotel is in a pretty handy location, great staff, nice room (huge bed) and from the balcony we could see the parthenon as well. it would've been perfect but for one problem. for some reason the room we stayed in was so warm we had to turn on the air conditioning to cool it down. staff told me that there was no central heating, but i'm at a loss as to where this heat was coming from.
but otherwise a great hotel. would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We spent two nights (that is enough to see most of Athens) and really liked this hotel. Great location!. Wonderful view from the rooftop restaurant. Very good complementary breakfast. If I go back to Athens, this is where I will stay.

Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed at the Hera for 5 nights. Our travel agent had recommended the "Balcony Room with View of Acropolis". The first two nights it was not available, but on the third night we switched hotel rooms. It is NOT worth the money. There really is no balcony that you can sit on, the view was only from one corner. Don't spend the extra money, you will see the Acropolis from every location in Athens. The breakfast room and food was very good. The roof top restaurant which has a very great view of the Acropolis is very nice. The food was excellent, the service great and it was not overpriced. I would definitely recommend the Hera Hotel.

Reviewed October 28, 2009

we stayed at this hotel twice during our trip to Greece - once as a stop-over on our way to Mykonos, and then as our home-base while in athens. we loved the location of the Hera to the Plaka, the new Acropolis Museum, and the Acropolis itself - it was in a very walkable locale. the staff were friendly and helpful, and the rooms were very nice. the breakfast was also very good and had a wide selection of choices. we were at the hera while a conference was going on, but we had no issue with gaining access to the internet - we simply waited until the conference-goers were done with the conference room and the staff allowed us access to the computer. this was free of charge and very convenient for us. i would certainly stay here again based on our experience.