“Beautiful Hotel, Amazing Location--Great AC!!”
Review of Hera Hotel

Hera Hotel
Ranked #18 of 282 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My husband and I loved our stay at the Hera. We had a double room on the back, facing a courtyard of sorts. The room was gorgeously decorated, very clean and had awesome AC---a must in the 98 degree Athens heat. As our room did not face the road it was very quiet. I am a very light sleeper and had no issues at all. We also got a non-smoking room and it smelled great. The hotel desk told us they are soon going to be totally smoke free. The breakfast was amazing!!! We ate a huge breakfast every morning and were able to skip lunch. A budget helper as we found food in Athens to be quite pricey. The front desk was cordial, but not overlly helpful. Do you own research on the sites, attractions and restaurants, as they do not offer much help in that regard. The roof top bar/ restaurant was not readily accessible unless you were eating or drinking there...way expensive we thought. The cheapest thing was a 20 dollar cheeseburger. All in all we would stay here again in a heartbeat. We paid 500 dollars for 3 night-stay with breakfast buffet included for 2.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hera Hotel

Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night as a bit of a treat after a week on one of the islands. The hotel is small but very clean and comfortable.

It's ideally placed for the Acropolis, Plaka and the Metro Station and sits in a side street which prevents disturbance by noise. It's slightly spoiled meantime because of a new building being constructed adjacent to the hotel but we were not disturbed in any way.

The receptionist was helpful and friendly and keen to offer directions and advice.

We stayed in one of the upgraded rooms on the fifth floor which has great views to the Parthenon and the new museum. I would agree with other reviewers who describe the rooms as a little on the small side but ours was spotlessly clean and well equipped. The room had a large roomy balcony although we were a bit unfortunate because of a big thunderstorm at the time we were going to sit out.

The hotel has a nice rooftop restaurant which we decided to use but on reflection I think i would have preferred to have eaten out. It is expensive and in my own view didn't quite meet my expectations although I couldn't be critical. Breakfast was first class with a big selection and I doubt it would disappoint most people.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed here 2 nights and thought it a nice hotel. It wasn't a commercial hotel and when you are on a tour (we were part of a small group tour with Adventures Abroad) sometimes that is the only type of hotel available. The location was superb, near the Acropolis and the Plaka. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank angten
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Hotel Hera is a great place to stay in Athens. We found it superior in price and location to many other alternatives we considered. We used it as the meeting point for several people in our group after flying into Athens for a cruise that left there the next day. The location can't be beat: there are a myriad of dining and shopping options within walking distance. Even if you don't eat dinner at the hotel, the rooftop bar/grill is a must-see because of the views of the Acropolis. We met up there for drinks the night we arrived as the backdrop was breathtaking. As other reviews noted, the rooms are not huge but they are standard for a typical European hotel and were more than sufficient even with several pieces of luggage. The beds were also quite firm, however it did not prevent me from sleeping through the night as I was quite tired from our trans-atlantic flight. If we were spending an entire week in Athens, the firm beds might have become annoying, but for the purposes of my stay they were not a problem.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Hotel Hera met our needs and it was what I expected. We stayed here for 2 nights before heading down to the islands. The hotel was nice, the rooms were clean, but very small (and we even had a deluxe room with a Acropolis view). The view from the balcony is only of the Parthenon. The only complaint I have is that the staff was a bit apathetic. Don't go here if you are expecting a good concierge type service for recommendations and such. You could tell the front desk folks didn't have a vested interest in the success of the hotel and that they were just there for a paycheck. I had to get dinner recommendations from a pharmacy, because they were actually friendly and wanting to help. The front desk just did not seem approachable and were understaffed. Thankfully, everything else lived up to the good reviews. I would rate this hotel as average. The location is very convenient and I would recommend it if you are looking for a good convenient hotel near the tourist attractions and Plaka. I would not recommend this hotel for an extended stay beyond two or three nights.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed at Hera for 2 nights. The location is great - a few minutes walk to Plaka and to Acropolis metro.
At check in the receptionist was very friendly and I was given my room even though I arrived early. If you ask at reception, they will give you a lead to plug in your laptop in your room at no extra charge. Fantastic, especially as I had been charged EURO19 per day at the NJV the night before.
The room was very clean but very small. Room (just about) for a bed, side table and desk and a chair. Bathroom again, small but clean.
Breakfast was not great. Wouldn't pay for it again - loads of cafes etc very nearby.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Hotel appearance was good. Location excellent, just down the road from the Acropolis station and within walking distance to Plaka and the Acropolis itself. Breakfast starts from 6AM which was good for my wife and I, from Asia, who got up really early because of the time difference. Breakfast selection was decent.
We stayed at the Hera twice: once at the beginning of our trip, and another after our return from Mykonos and Santorini. We booked a double room and for the first stay, we got room 401, which unfortunately had two single beds pushed together. The second time around, we were given room 403 which had a queen-sized bed. The room size is big enough for two people and we could see the Acropolis lit up at night peeking at us just above the buildings opposite the road.
Just across the road, there is a laundry shop which you can use instead of the laundry service by the hotel. If you come out of the hotel and turn left at the next road, there is a nice, friendly gentleman who runs a little cafe at the corner of the road that you can have light snacks in between meals. He has a really cool fish tank.
Only problem we faced was that the area just next to the Hera Hotel is a construction site. So, if you decide to sleep-in, you may not actually sleep-in due to the noise. Also, the road towards the Acropolis museum is under construction which leads to the area being a bit dusty and congested.
All in all, I would say that this is a good hotel. The downsides are just nit-picking really.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple