“Better than home”

Gostijo
Ranked #17 of 2,416 Restaurants in Athens
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Psirri / Gazi
Description: A journey into Mediterranean flavors in a beautiful setting with a warm and welcoming atmosphere... Looking forward to seeing you!
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

After backpacking through the islands for 2 weeks we found gostijo to grab a bite at. The food was delicious and the comfortable and quiet atmosphere made me feel right at home. I wasnt worried about how clean and sanitary the food was since you can see how clean it is. I will recommend this to everybody.

2  Thank Boaz Y

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I have been to Gostijo twice in my one-week stay in Athens. The food is delicious! The service is friendly and the restaurant owner makes you feel at home! It is fascinating to discover so many Spanish and Portuguese recipes from the 15th century, as well as the traditional Greek ones. I surely recommend this lovely restaurant to everyone that comes to Athens!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Nr 2 in athens, so a 'must' go. The food is good, nothing to complain. But the most 'worrying' thing is the crew. The woman in charge is very strange. At first she came to our table for a chat, but the chat quickly became a racist talk about the black people working in our hotel. We were so surprised, we couldn't say another word. A kosher restaurant being not so 'kosher'.

Gostijo_restaurant, General Manager at Gostijo, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to review the restaurant. I'm glad you enjoyed the food but was very surprised to read about the racist chat you mentioned, as racism or xenophobia are antithetical to our values. There must have been a misunderstanding, or something lost in translation during this conversation. I wish you would have spoken up then so we could have clarified the matter on the spot.

I'm sorry you went out with a bad feeling as we strive to give our visitors a great experience on all levels. I want to stress again that we respect and welcome warmly all people regardless of race, ethnicity or religion.

I would be glad to discuss this matter with you privately and to clarify any misunderstandings.

All the best,

Nehama Hendel, management team

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Lovely restaurant, impeccable service, a delightful evening. Don't be fooled by the Kosher meat, even if you are not particular about kosher, this restaurant is a must! Their quantities are more than sufficient and their souvlaki was absolutely delicious.

The owner is a lovely lady and she was so helpful and courteous we felt like we have been coming here forever. We had no space to order dessert after the ginormous quantities of food we had to scourge down, but then they brought us complimentary dessert which after one bite we couldn't resist wiping the whole plate clean!

A must try!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I went here with a group of 6, as it was close to our accommodation and trip advisor said it would be amazing. I'm also vegetarian and it had great options. When we arrived the restaurant was almost empty - so there wasn't really any atmosphere, but I was with a big group so we had a good night. The host was incredibly lovely and welcoming and the food was also delicious. I returned to Athens 2 weeks later alone and decided to go back for the good food and in hope that there would be more people and an atmosphere this time. Unfortunately it was almost empty again and the entree i really wanted to have again was unavailable. But the food I did have was nice. I'm just unsure how this restaurant has one of the highest ratings in Athens, but was empty each time I went?