“The only place in Athens about Islam”

Benaki Museum of Islamic Art
Ranked #95 of 354 things to do in Athens
Athens, Greece
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The only place in Athens about Islam”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The museum is situated near Kerameikos. The collection includes many artifacts about islam - vases, wooden doors, carpets, mosaic, etc. It has big maps that help you understand the islamic history of the middle east and eastern europe. It is not very big, so you can see it in 1 hour. You can buy books and artifacts at the door.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank Nick V

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An artist's idea of heaven!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Although the entrance fee is pricey, I feel that it's worth every lepta. I have visited this museum on every return home to Athens. As a jewellery maker and painter, I find something to inspire me every time. Each floor lays out the Islamic world and its artistic influence in that century. I always start at the top and work my way down. Unlike a lot of museums, there isn't a visual overload.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Yianna2256
geneva
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Amazing! 4 floors of enchanting exhibitions of masterpieces with illustrative details. You need around 5 hours or more to truly go over centuries of glory! Super clean,organised and feel like a sacred place. A nice top restaurant with a breathtaking view for dinners and a ground floor snacks place overlooking Doha city. Wonderful !

Visited November 2012
2 Thank yasmineGeneva
Boston
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Recommend the Islamic Art Museum and cafe”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We had the Islamic Art Collection to ourselves on a Saturday and the collection is impressive, the museum not so huge that it is overwhelming and the cafe on the roof was a delightful surprise. Beautiful view of the Acropolis and other parts of Athens you would not otherwise see on the usual tourist agenda. The staff were friendly and polite and encouraged us to visit the cafe, and we were grateful that they did. If I can post a picture of the view later, I will but my sweetie has all our pictures on his computer. American tourists don't see a lot of examples of Islamic art, so we were impressed with the beauty and historical information provided by this well curated museum. It is very near a Jewish synagogue, to which our taxi actually directed us when we were looking at this museum. An interesting juxtaposition of locations, just down the block. The Synagogue is open for tours M-F and you need a passport to visit. Since it was the Sabbath and we didn't have our passports with us, we will have to see that another day. We took a taxi to this location which is in a bit more down-trodden neighborhood, so that was interesting to see. It was easy to get a taxi on the street outside this location to go see another museum.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank JBinBeantown

Been to Benaki Museum of Islamic Art? Share your experiences!